Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
2019 FC: Need to ever service the bearings?

I've read online that bearings must get repacked once a year.

Ok so I looked on my 2019 FC manual on how to do that - turns out I have hubs with dual bearings and they are sealed!

Does this mean I'm exempt from the repacking? And if not, what am I supposed to do with those dual sealed bearings?

Thanks
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
I've read online that bearings must get repacked once a year.

Ok so I looked on my 2019 FC manual on how to do that - turns out I have hubs with dual bearings and they are sealed!

Does this mean I'm exempt from the repacking? And if not, what am I supposed to do with those dual sealed bearings?

Thanks
You have Dexter Nev-R-Lube hubs which are sealed. The only "service" is an end play inspection, which you can find in the Dexter Service Manual - you can download it from the Dexter site. Basically, they are non-serviceable like automotive bearings. You replace them if they fail.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
You have Dexter Nev-R-Lube hubs which are sealed. The only "service" is an end play inspection, which you can find in the Dexter Service Manual - you can download it from the Dexter site. Basically, they are non-serviceable like automotive bearings. You replace them if they fail.
Perfect, thanks!
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Those bearings are designed to not need re-packing.

However that does NOT mean you can neglect them. They should be inspected annually for excessive end play. As per that manual on page 8-9.

Action
Old 02-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
I have a 2012 FC; I had the bearings repacked in 2015. I’ve since forgotten about them...is this a dangerous oops?
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
I have a 2012 FC; I had the bearings repacked in 2015. I’ve since forgotten about them...is this a dangerous oops?
I suggest you have them inspected and repacked. The pieces can be replaced without too much expense, if needed. It is a safety issue.

You can do it yourself. Lots of guidance on YouTube. It is an easy but very messy job.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
From personal experience, I can attest to fact that the Never Lube bearing failure is completely unpredictable. We had our bearing fail shortly after being inspected by an Airstream dealer. Be sure to carry a spare bearing, as they are horribly expensive and not readily available. I picked up a spare from a spring shop in Vancouver, and the parts employee stated that it was singularly the most expensive bearing that he had ever seen on their stock data base. >$300 CDN. Better still, carry a bearing/drum assembly, as the failed bearing must be pressed out and new bearing must be pressed back in. The repair shop did not have a press sufficient to do the work, so I had to take the drum to a tire shop to have the work done. Trust me, if one of these bearings fail in the “middle of nowhere”, it becomes a major PITA, and you could be down for days. I would choose conventional bearings anyway, as my bearing failed after approx 20K km.
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:29 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camr View Post
... Be sure to carry a spare bearing, as they are horribly expensive and not readily available. I picked up a spare from a spring shop in Vancouver, and the parts employee stated that it was singularly the most expensive bearing that he had ever seen on their stock data base. >$300 CDN. Better still, carry a bearing/drum assembly, as the failed bearing must be pressed out and new bearing must be pressed back in. The repair shop did not have a press sufficient to do the work, so I had to take the drum to a tire shop to have the work done. Trust me, if one of these bearings fail in the “middle of nowhere”, it becomes a major PITA, and you could be down for days. I would choose conventional bearings anyway, as my bearing failed after approx 20K km.
The Nev-R-Lube bearing design is not unique to Airstreams.
The bearing only can be replaced if the hub is not damaged beyond reuse.
As far as availability I bet any medium sized auto parts store has one on the shelf or avail overnight.
Special tools, either a shop press or a front wheel drive bearing tool set. These exist, maybe even a rental tool but it safely presses old bearing out and new one in, undamaged. I've done it on my VW front wheel hubs.

Part number. BCA 513058 or Timken Set 49 JRM4249 ASSY. https://www.showmetheparts.com/timken/ use PART SEARCH tab and enter SET49

Timken buyers guide:

"Part Number: SET49
Part Type: Wheel Bearing and Race Set
Buyers Guide: CHRYSLER-NEON, PT CRUISER (10-02); DODGE-NEON, SX 2.0 (05-02); FORD-MUSTANG, RANGER, TAURUS, THUNDERBIRD, WINDSTAR (04-99); HYUNDAI-SANTA FE, TUCSON (15-01); JAGUAR-XJ8, XJR, XK8(1998); KIA-SEDONA, SORENTO, SPORTAGE (15-02); LINCOLN-CONTINENTAL, MARK VII, MARK VIII (98-88); MERCURY-COUGAR, SABLE (97-89)"

I just checked and my local O'Reilly has the BCA on the shelf for $47.00 it fits a bunch of applications.

For the R&R here is a Timken video for front knuckle bearing replacement. Ignore the knuckle content and watch the bearing R&R content.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote