Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
okotoks , Alberta
I"d like to also know why not just go with new 15 inch LT tires on the new rims , I"m leaving in a few days to go pickup my new 2013 27 FB int in California , I'm pretty sure I'm going to swap out the tires , keep my Rims ,

Look at how many AS trailers and all them miles on 15 inch rims , been around

Opinions
dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Norman , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchie View Post
I"d like to also know why not just go with new 15 inch LT tires on the new rims , I"m leaving in a few days to go pickup my new 2013 27 FB int in California , I'm pretty sure I'm going to swap out the tires , keep my Rims , Look at how many AS trailers and all them miles on 15 inch rims , been around Opinions
Dutchie,
Oh how I wish it were that easy! Tire manufacturers now no longer make a light truck E-rated radial tire that will fit the original Airstream wheels.
farrel509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I bought two Maxxis 8008, 225/75x15, ST tires, load range E (10 ply rated, 80 psi max), in October 2008. Two years and about 5-6,000 miles later, one failed with a slipped belt. That's when I replaced the ST tires on our 2005, 19-foot Bambi with Michelin XPS Ribs, 225/75x16 LT tires (made in Germany). I bought the Ribs because they are all steel construction, including sidewalls; and they are among the toughest tires made in a size that fits on Airstreams. Many think they are overkill for trailer use, but I have had no problems at all with them since January 2011 when I put them on.

I would like to say Maxxis ST tires are better than GYMs, but in my experience, they are not. Two of the three OEM GYMs failed in three years, and one of two Maxxis tires failed in two; so I don't see much difference in reliability.

I have almost three years on the XPS Ribs with absolutely no problems, and all I have done is add 1-2 pounds of air to them about once a year. If I replace them after seven years with most of their tread still remaining, I will consider that money well spent. The $600 I spent on the Ribs is a welcome alternative to the $550 I spent on three replacement ST tires, the $450 towing charge for our GYM blowout, and the estimated $500 in wheel damage repairs that still need to be done on our Airstream; not to mention the 4.5 hours we spent waiting in 110+ degree heat waiting for the tow truck to arrive. -- No more ST tires for me!

Note: For those unfamiliar with our tire saga, see link below:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...tml#post944334
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #44

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Would one of you 16 inch light truck tire guys explain the reasons you are switching. I can understand getting rid of the Goodyear Marathons but do you think it best to go to a LT tire really designed for that, light truck, with a secondary use as a trailer tire for very heavy loads. The trailer tire is designed exclusively for trailers, giving a soft ride, good traction and tread design, tougher sidewalls--hitting curbs, etc. Why not stay with your 15 rims and put on a very well respected tire like the E rated Maxxis 8008. That gets you 10 ply, 80# and what? I think 2800+ lbs of muscle each. ???? Howard
2 belt failures at the beginning of season 4 of use on my Maxxis 8008's. Caught the failure after returning from the first camp out of the year. Two front axle tires ballooned in center tread area. Air got between the belts and tread. After a Marathon throwing tread at the end of season 3 of use, I came to the conclusion that ST's just don't cut it on my heavy Classic slide out.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
2 belt failures at the beginning of season 4 of use on my Maxxis 8008's. Caught the failure after returning from the first camp out of the year. Two front axle tires ballooned in center tread area. Air got between the belts and tread. After a Marathon throwing tread at the end of season 3 of use, I came to the conclusion that ST's just don't cut it on my heavy Classic slide out.

Jack
What tires did you go with jack? The XPS RIBs like Phoenix?
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #46
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Hard to say for sure if the "country of origin" is actually the country of manufacture...but makes for good reading nonetheless.
List of tire companies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob
I can say for sure - they aren't the same. There's a single country listed and any tire manufacturer of any substantial size has multiple factories in various countries.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #47
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I noticed that....you have to click on some of the footnotes to get any detail, and remember...it's Wikipeedonya, so believe it like a politician.

Bob
Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have followed the tire threads for awhile now and it would seem the single axle trailers could benefit from the stouter Michelin Rib tire.

Since I have two axles, I will install the Michelin LT 225/75R16E LTX M/S2 tires for the softer ride and traction ratings and all season rating.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
okotoks , Alberta
Seems the best way to go and save a bit of money is getting the rims and wheels from a tire shop , I called a AS dealer today and the price they'd told me to go up to what the Eddie Bauer has in tires and rims was $3600 , crazy price

I need or better I"d like to find good 15 inch tires and just keep my rims ,

or sell the new rims and tires on my trailer now

and then get the 16 inch rims and tires from a shop direct , I can live with spending $1500 , but no way would I pay that $3600 for a upgrade

Anyone want to buy a brand new set of rims and tires , 0 miles on them , trailer is 2013 and still on showroom floor , I got 4 days till I arrive at my trailers location to get this figured out
Old 10-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #50

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
What tires did you go with jack? The XPS RIBs like Phoenix?
No I went with the LTX M/S 2 tires. If I follow my past history, I replace every every 5 years. If I was going to try to stretch that widow, the Rib might be better. I'm just over 14 months with the new tires. I think by the time we hit year 5, the jury will be back from a lot of folks about their experiences with going LT. So in about 2-3 years the early adopters will be approaching year 5 with their Michelins. It will be interesting if we will all be singing the same song as we approach that timeframe. The Rib is an outstanding tire, but probably more of an overkill based on how I use my trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Seems the best way to go and save a bit of money is getting the rims and wheels from a tire shop , I called a AS dealer today and the price they'd told me to go up to what the Eddie Bauer has in tires and rims was $3600 , crazy price

I need or better I"d like to find good 15 inch tires and just keep my rims ,

or sell the new rims and tires on my trailer now

and then get the 16 inch rims and tires from a shop direct , I can live with spending $1500 , but no way would I pay that $3600 for a upgrade

Anyone want to buy a brand new set of rims and tires , 0 miles on them , trailer is 2013 and still on showroom floor , I got 4 days till I arrive at my trailers location to get this figured out

Here is a price for suitable tires from Canadian Tire , Just up the road from
you in Calgary , Alberta--------not familiar with what a load range of 108 is , must be a metric thing or something ?
Michelin LTX M/S²

• Product Number:0088063
  • Manufacturer Part #:36210
  • Size:P235/75R15 108T
  • Category: Light Truck Tires
  • Availability: Limited Stock
  • All-season tire designed for pick-ups/SUVs and vans
  • Exceptional wet traction, with deep circumferential grooves that channel water away
  • Mileage Rating:115000 km
  • Sidewall Style:ORWL
  • Load Index:108
  • Load Range:XL
  • Speed Rating:T
  • UTQG:720 A A
  • Mud + Snow Rated

$156.99 * (each)

Save $70 when you purchase a set of four (4) qualifying tires.

Read reviews
Qty:
Select store to purchase item
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
okotoks , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
Here is a price for suitable tires from Canadian Tire , Just up the road from you in Calgary , Alberta--------not familiar with what a load range of 108 is , must be a metric thing or something ? Michelin LTX M/S² [*]Product Number:0088063[*]Manufacturer Part #:36210[*]Size:P235/75R15 108T[*]Category: Light Truck Tires[*]Availability: Limited Stock[*]All-season tire designed for pick-ups/SUVs and vans[*]Exceptional wet traction, with deep circumferential grooves that channel water away[*]Mileage Rating:115000 km[*]Sidewall Style:ORWL[*]Load Index:108[*]Load Range:XL[*]Speed Rating:T[*]UTQG:720 A A[*]Mud + Snow Rated $156.99 * (each) Save $70 when you purchase a set of four (4) qualifying tires. Read reviews Qty: Select store to purchase item

Not sure what the 108 is , but I think that this is not the same class of tires as it has the ""P"" My guess not as strong as the LTX
Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Not sure what the 108 is , but I think that this is not the same class of tires as it has the ""P"" My guess not as strong as the LTX
I believe that Michelin tire is a "Extended load" P tire. 50 psi is it's max pressure, which is higher than a typical P tire.

Another choice is the Contenental Vanco2, which in a 215/70-15, is a load range D ( 65 psi ), and 2271 pounds.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #54
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
I believe that Michelin tire is a "Extended load" P tire.......
I think you mean "Extra Load"

Quote:
........ 50 psi is it's max pressure, which is higher than a typical P tire.........
Ah ...... be careful here. This whole area of "Max Pressure" is a bit tricky - and it turns out Michelin has made a mistake on their website, which further complicates things.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
it turns out Michelin has made a mistake on their website, which further complicates things.
I must have missed this - what was the mistake?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

I must have missed this - what was the mistake?
Weight capacity on Michelin website lists derated weight rating for P235 75 15XL tires. Probably left over from when the 235 75 15 was an LT tire
Old 10-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires on our former 2013 25FB International Serenity have a sidewall rating of 2,183 pounds at 50 psi printed right on the tire. Per the federal regulation 49 CFR 571.110 captioned below, the tire must be derated 10% to 1,985 pounds maximum load for trailer use.

For my personal preferences, the Flying Cloud/International 27FB models with a GVW of 7,600 pounds is an iffy maximum load. The Classic 27FB with 9,000 pound GVW we initially ordered was going to get the 16" Michelin tire and SenDel wheels. Obviously, for me, the 30' model Flying Cloud/International models with a 8,800 pounds GVW and our Classic 20 on order with a 10,000 pound GVW would go the 16" route as well.

49 CFR 571.110

Tire selection and rims and motor home/recreation vehicle trailer load carrying capacity information for motor vehicles with a GVWR of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) or less.

S4.2.2.1

Except as provided in S4.2.2.2, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the GAWR of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567. If the certification label shows more than one GAWR for the axle system, the sum shall be not less than the GAWR corresponding to the size designation of the tires fitted to the axle.

S4.2.2.2

When passenger car tires are installed on an MPV, truck, bus, or trailer, each tire's load rating is reduced by dividing it by 1.10 before determining, under S4.2.2.1, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle.

S4.2.2.3

(a) For vehicles, except trailers with no designated seating positions, equipped with passenger car tires, the vehicle normal load on the tire shall be no greater than 94 percent of the derated load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure for that tire.

(b) For vehicles, except trailers with no designated seating positions, equipped with LT tires, the vehicle normal load on the tire shall be no greater than 94 percent of the load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure for that tire.

The tire image of the 15" GYM on the left and the 15" Michelin on the right (see photo in my "images" under my avatar) shows the 0.9" taller Michelin has much more tread foot print on the road due to both tread width and lower pressure and has no 65 mph speed limit printed on the tire like the GYM tire.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
I think you mean "Extra Load"

Ah ...... be careful here. This whole area of "Max Pressure" is a bit tricky - and it turns out Michelin has made a mistake on their website, which further complicates things.
you are correct, I meant to say Extra Load.

I'm still not exactly clear on what the "mistake" is on the mich website, even after Bud explained it.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Hi Everyone,

If anyone reading this tread have a 25FB with 16" tires from the factory. Could you please post a picture of your payload label. It would be interesting to see how it changes from the 15" tires.

Thanks,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
you are correct, I meant to say Extra Load.

I'm still not exactly clear on what the "mistake" is on the mich website, even after Bud explained it.
The Michelin website shows the LTX M/S2 P235 75 15XL tires rated for 1985 lbs at 50 psi. The rating stamped on the side wall of the 15" LTX M/S tires Michelin produced today is 2183 lbs at 50 psi max pressure.

If the Michelin P235 75 15 was sold as an LT235 75 15 (as it was in the past) it would be rated at 1985 lbs at 50 psi. I think the problem is that Michelin did not revise their webpage when they changed the tire from an LT to a P tire.