Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Williamsport , Maryland
15" 6 lug wheels for 1977 Argosy Minuet 6 metre?

Hello all, I have a Argosy Minuet 6 metere 1977. Original has the wagon spoke wheels 6 lug .tires are P205/70R 15. I am looking to add a nicer wheel but would like to go with chrome if possible. ThoughI doubt it is possible I will ask. Is a wheel available that look like the 70's Creager Mags or the chevy Rally wheels which were actually steel but had the chrome trim rings and center caps ?
Also what are the specs on wheels to fit this argosy, wheel width ,lug pattern setback ? In the original tire size mine are 205 but I notice that many trailer tires are 225 ,is this a major difference?

Many many many thanks
Randy
Arrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
Arrie

I bought a set of 5 new modular 6 X 5.5 chrome trailer wheels with caps for my '78 Argosy a month ago from these folks...

15 inch Chrome Modular Wheel

They had them on stock and shipped in short order. Very nice wheels and rated at, I think, 2850 lbs./wheel. I fitted Hancock 235/75/R15 LT tires and have now completed about 3000 miles with a better ride and no problems. These wheels are correct for the Argosy/Airstream as far as the wheel size and offset. The tires are slightly oversize, but fit just fine with no rubbing problems.
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Randy, I have a set of American Racing wheels on my Argosy that are just what you're looking for. However, I searched their site and they don't seem to offer that wheel in the correct bolt pattern anymore.

I'm also using LT tires - Michelin LTX's - and am very happy with them so far.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Williamsport , Maryland
Wheel Backset ,3.50 versus "0" ????

Many thanks to all for the replies. I have yet another question. I have seen a set of wheels that are very nice,the correct 15" size 6" width and 6 bolt pattern. The only problem is they are a 3.50 backset and from what I have read the airstream wheels are originally a zero backset. I noticed though that on the website that sells the wheels their is a review from a buyer who purchased these wheels about a year ago,installed them onto a vintage 1970 Airstream and said they are perfect. This being the case ,is their any downside to using a wheel with a 3.50 backset in place of a zero backset wheel ? If yes, could it be done with a spacer ?

Many Thanks Again ,
Randy
Arrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
Many thanks to all for the replies. I have yet another question. I have seen a set of wheels that are very nice,the correct 15" size 6" width and 6 bolt pattern. The only problem is they are a 3.50 backset and from what I have read the airstream wheels are originally a zero backset. I noticed though that on the website that sells the wheels their is a review from a buyer who purchased these wheels about a year ago,installed them onto a vintage 1970 Airstream and said they are perfect. This being the case ,is their any downside to using a wheel with a 3.50 backset in place of a zero backset wheel ? If yes, could it be done with a spacer ?

Many Thanks Again ,
Randy
The problem is clearance between the tire and the outer interior of the wheel well. I had a set of Toyota Landcruiser rims (15" - 6X5.5) with 3.5" backspacing and they would not work. The ZERO figure means that the hub of the wheel is equidistant from either edge of the wheel - and not offset one way or the other. I recommend a purpose-built trailer wheel.
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Jackson , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post

Many Thanks Again ,
Randy
Are you sure it's 3.50 backset?

I'm guessing you're referring to the 3.5" backspacing on the wheel. This would be the distance from the back of the mounting plate to the outside lip of the wheel's rim. The backspacing of a 15x6 trailer wheel is usually about 3.5".

A '0 Offset' is a synonym for '3.5" backspacing" on a 15x6 wheel. The offset refers to where the mounting pad is set. An offset will make the backspacing of the wheel different than the frontspacing of a wheel because the mounting pad is adjusted.

Take a look at 'The Anatomy Of A Trailer Wheel' to help explain what I'm getting at.

I hope this helps...let me know if you have any other questions.
streamair is offline   Reply With Quote