Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
TM - The Airstream Guy is located in Marion KS. Just to West of HW 77 to the North of HW 50. This is a renovation operation. Possible hitch expertise, but may just be an interesting stop to nose around. Marion Reservoir (large - new) is to the NW and Marion Lake (small-old) is to SE.

Good Luck with your investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Who do I trust??? Me.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #23
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I appreciate everyone's responses y'all are great. I spent a couple hours at the scales dialin it in and it like it pretty nice now. It wasn't a huge problem. Trailer was just a lil bouncy. Wasn't swayin or jerkin the truck or anything like that. I expect the ride to be rougher with my off road truck, so that's fine I just didn't want the back bouncin so much.

I adjusted the height of the bars a lil and moved the brackets forward a bit and also adjusted the trailer psi from 70 to 65 since I'm very under all my weight limits.

I took it down a washboard road after that with the wd hitch on and it was much better! I think I may still order the lower but since I'm liftin the trailer I'll probly have to do this all again so I just may wait.

The information y'all have me was very helpful in dialin it in.

Thank you.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #24
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
TM - The Airstream Guy is located in Marion KS. Just to West of HW 77 to the North of HW 50. This is a renovation operation. Possible hitch expertise, but may just be an interesting stop to nose around. Marion Reservoir (large - new) is to the NW and Marion Lake (small-old) is to SE.

Good Luck with your investigation. Pat
That's very interresting, I may take a look at this for some other stuff I was thinking bout doin.

Thank you, Pat.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #25
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Who do I trust??? Me.
Well that's my problem. I only trust me. But I ride alone and sometimes I wonder if I should put another set of eyeballs on things.

Probly not ha!

But I think about this.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #26
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
By the way I should mention that it is a Tradesman spec'd better for towin but with the power wagon package that does make it a little less tow friendly. It's not 100% power wagon it's kinda hybrid. It's got a higher payload and tow rating... and it was about $20k cheaper and a lot better lookin!

But's essential for me. I need these solid axles and coil springs and lockers and sway disconnects (well I don't need them all electronic and fancy, but I need em).I have used all those things a lot when disconnected from the trailer and I travel 11 months a year so this was the best compromise I could find.

Overallbeen great I just needed to dial in that wd hitch more.

Thank you!
Old 07-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hope this doesn't add to your concerns.

http://airsafehitches.com/#

However.. on our TV (2500HD), both the front and rear are pressed down with WD loaded. The front pressed less than rear... your truck may require less front load... removing WD should not cause the rear of TV to drop.... the whole point is to transfer trailer tongue weight toward the TV CG.

We can't guarantee any result... but just the physics you describe and your desire for having an off-road TV, you have a big task ahead of you.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #28
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you cwf. Havin no trailer attached, the rear is a lil higher. Having a trailer attached with no wd does lower the rear. Then addin on the wd starts to transfer weight to the front like ya said and the rear and front even out. At least that's what was goin on today at the scales. So I got I where I have a lil more weight on the rear then I did before but everything is still level and that seemed to make most of the difference I was lookin for.

Anyhow I towed a few hundred miles and down dirt roads and washboard today and it seems to be where I want it.

I've put thousands of miles on this truck and trailer through every terrain ya can imagine and I'm very happy with the setup. Just always lookin to sweetin it a lil more, since I spend so much time in em!

Thank you for your advice. I will take a look at the airsafe hitch.

Thank you.