Old 08-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Blue Ox doesn't use friction for sway control. "Trunnions on each side of the Swaypro™ hitch head employ a caster effect, working with spring bars, to constantly push inward, keeping the trailer in line."
I see. Seems like a system using chains to lift the bars negates the action of a push.
I guess I'll stay with my plain old Equalizer, although I like the idea of tapered bars.
I had to look up "caster effect" and I see how it pushes from both sides.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I am religious about is keeping a safe distance. I allow myself the time to slow down gradually and avoid panic stops.
So was I until a car spun out in front of me on a wet road. I was braking as hard as possible but the distance was closing rapidly. He was facing the wrong way in the wrong lane as I went by at about 30 mph. Had he been sideways, I would have t-boned him. If I'd have left more room, someone would pull into that opening. I thanked my guardian angel.
He should too.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #103
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
On Interstates I set the cruise at 72 mph.
A note of caution here for those who have GY Marathons, top speed on those tires is 65mph. I understand that with Michelins, you can do better. Not sure about other brands...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
A note of caution here for those who have GY Marathons, top speed on those tires is 65mph. I understand that with Michelins, you can do better. Not sure about other brands...
Yes, this. Most ST tires are only rated for 65 mph. Exceeding that limit is an invitation for disaster that includes tires coming apart at speed causing all kinds of damage.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Yes, this. Most ST tires are only rated for 65 mph. Exceeding that limit is an invitation for disaster that includes tires coming apart at speed causing all kinds of damage.
FYI- the new GY Endurance are rated at 85mph....just saying. Just replaced my GYM's on our 28' after 13K miles. Did not want any GYM related issues and I did not want to go up to the 16" wheels. I opted for the 15" Endurance few weeks back, since Michelin does not offer an LT rated 15" any longer. Just got back from an 8 dat, 900mile trip to Glacier and Holland Lake; had some rough wash-board roads and some bad roadwork on the highway in a few places. You have to adjust the pressure for your TV weights, and I had to get mine down to 45psi from 80psi the guys from Discount Tire had in them when they installed. So far, these are performing well. Time will tell.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #106
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Okay! We're done with hitches.

I don't like ST tires because.......

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Okay! We're done with hitches.

I don't like ST tires because.......
Not to start an argument here but I do like them, well not all of them.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #108
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
We use ST tires, 18 since 1988. 👍😂 63 Safari, 2003 Classic.
1 replaced, nail.
1 destroyed, curb rash (my bad).👎😳

Bob
🇺🇸

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #109
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
FYI- the new GY Endurance are rated at 85mph....just saying. Just replaced my GYM's on our 28' after 13K miles. Did not want any GYM related issues and I did not want to go up to the 16" wheels. I opted for the 15" Endurance few weeks back, since Michelin does not offer an LT rated 15" any longer. Just got back from an 8 dat, 900mile trip to Glacier and Holland Lake; had some rough wash-board roads and some bad roadwork on the highway in a few places. You have to adjust the pressure for your TV weights, and I had to get mine down to 45psi from 80psi the guys from Discount Tire had in them when they installed. So far, these are performing well. Time will tell.
Be careful, nothing blows a tire faster than low air pressure. I normally set the tire pressure 10% less than max to allow for expansion when rolling*.

*I also race cars for a living so I probably pay more attention to tires and tire pressures than the average person.
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #110
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorses View Post
Be careful, nothing blows a tire faster than low air pressure. I normally set the tire pressure 10% less than max to allow for expansion when rolling*.
*I also race cars for a living so I probably pay more attention to tires and tire pressures than the average person.
I also went from 80 to 70 on the GYE's, pressure staying within 1-3psi and temps 2-4* on all 4 tires=loading pretty good.

Bob
🇺🇸

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorses View Post
Be careful, nothing blows a tire faster than low air pressure. I normally set the tire pressure 10% less than max to allow for expansion when rolling.
I am pretty sure that the tire manufacturers have made allowances for the expansion of the air when rolling when they set the sidewall tire pressure ratings. At least for the pressure increase at their rated maximum speed.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #112
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Greensboro , North Carolina
Let's get this thread back on the initial subject...

We brought the 2007 Classic home yesterday and I was amazed at how smooth and stable that it towed. The original owner also had a RAM pickup and we didn't have to make any changes to the hitch at all. The hitch is a Fastway E2 which is a simple, 2 point sway control, hitch.

They had installed Centramatics wheel balance disk on the trailer wheels and I'm sure that added to the smoothness and stability.

Even coming down Fancy Gap on I-77 was easy as pie. Having a semi pass made no problem at all. The trailer never did try to "suck" into the semi's path. Amazing.

"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
762x51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #113
California Flying Cloud

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Camarillo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
GY Endurance ST225/75R15 is rated as “N” for 87 mpg. Chevrolet says tire pressure should always be 35 psi in my Tahoe TV for all speed and load conditions and owner should ignore any advice to the contrary. I just pulled my 25’ FC 6000 Miles and reached 80mph on two occasions to keep up with the 18 wheelers. It was like pulling a bullet. I usually pull 65-70. It’s great but I still hate the noise from my hitch at low speeds.
52HalfTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #114
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
I am a Michelin tire fan for 20 years now. Excellent tire designs and high reliability. But You got to give Goodyear credit for coming up with the Goodyear Endurance after the noticable Goodyear Marathon fiasco. They have fixed every design flaw and improved the manufacturing quality. I actually have confidence in these Goodyear Endurance tires I received on my Airstream.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I see. Seems like a system using chains to lift the bars negates the action of a push.
I guess I'll stay with my plain old Equalizer, although I like the idea of tapered bars.
I had to look up "caster effect" and I see how it pushes from both sides.
I believe you don't have a clear understanding how the BO works.
With the chains hooked up tight the spring bars are pulled up and preloaded with force. The chains straight up and position is neutral, as soon as the trailer begins to yaw, there is counter force applied on both sides by the spring bars one side forward and the other side applies force in the opposite direction. That is why it is so effective. The Trunion bar friction hitches work on the same principal except they are noise as the bars slide back and forth on the cradle And their force is constant and static where as the BO the more the angle the more back pressure on both sides.
Incidentally, the lack of any counter force from the opposite side why the Anderson hitch is not a sway prevention hitch.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Not to start an argument here but I do like them, well not all of them.
I don't like ST tires because they suck.
I would give up driving were I sentenced to be driving at 65 or less with the Zombie pack forever.
Having to readjust tire pressure before moving the trailer.
The happiest day with our trailer was when I installed Michelin tires and was released from the GYM ST tire purgatory.
This all happened after a massive blow out and thread separation caused
$ 9,200.00 worth of damage to our 30' International.
And no the tire monitor was no help in that situation.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
I don't like ST tires because they suck.
I would give up driving were I sentenced to be driving at 65 or less with the Zombie pack forever.
Having to readjust tire pressure before moving the trailer.
The happiest day with our trailer was when I installed Michelin tires and was released from the GYM ST tire purgatory.
This all happened after a massive blow out and thread separation caused
$ 9,200.00 worth of damage to our 30' International.
And no the tire monitor was no help in that situation.
Well, frankly, Frank, I disagree...the GYEndurance ST tires are made in the USA and thus far...no one has said they "suck"...(cept maybe you?) I would love to have purchased Michelins again with my current 28', but I did not want to purchase 16" wheels also...nothing wrong with my 15" wheels...I ran the Michelins LT rated with 15" factory wheels on my 2006 and then my 2008 25' Safari models, and loved them....on my recent 2014 25 however, they were not available in LT anymore, so I got the XLT Defenders, which I was told were now rated as passenger tires...they gave me a "sway" sensation when I was pulling. I did not have that sway feeling with the GYE's I replaced, nor did I have that with the earlier LT rated Michelins on the 06 or 08. So that's why I went with the Endurance and 15" this time...so far ridding fine...many folks on this Forum are using and I have not seen a bad review yet...cept perhaps your concern. One note on the pressure setting, as questioned earlier; I was advised to follow the pressure for the weight on my AS, which is why I lowered the pressure from the 80PSI the dealer put in few weeks back to 45-50PSI range...Had I not seen the chart on one of these Forum blogs, I would still have the 80PSI in them...I did find couple screws and a rivet on the floor after leaving the dealer on my 45mile drive back to Lincoln from Helena...I suspect it was caused by the tires being too stiff, which makes sense...at least to me...

As for the hitch questions, I also have used 3 BO's Sway Pro's now on last 3 AS's over the past 51 years . I had a Reese on my first 06 AS 25', which worked fine but was noisy; then the 08 AS came with an Eazy Lift model, which made all kinds of noise when turning tight for parking and backing up...one of the bars finally gave out and twisted. I replaced with a BO, learned how to set properly, and have been very happy...that's my story and Im sticking to it!
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote