Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2023, 09:35 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Sparta , NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
I didn’t have the need or desire to lift our AS until I got the Shocker hitch. But, it’s a way to make the two work.

With the CURT drop shank I can open the tailgate on our RAM and Blue Ox. Could be the Equalizer’s head is shorter which is causing the interference you’re experiencing?
I'm going on what others said that have the similar TV and the Equalizer setup. It won't clear the tailgate. I only have the standard Class IV 4 inch drop shank now so have to make a move to fit the new 3/4 ton rig.

The Gen-Y as Jim stated is so far an option. Your paying for that torsion control management which I can see maybe is a good investment to improve the TV ride and take away pounding to the Airstream too while intransit. Can't compare to your Blue OX as that has it's different dims and believe that already has a pretty decent overhang.
Electronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:38 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Moreland , Georgia
Every hitch manufacturer uses the same dimensions, on shanks, the vertical bar being 2 inch to accept the hitch head and having 3/4 inch holes spaced 1-1/4 inch on center. You can use a Reese, Curt, Equalizer, Blue Ox, etc shanks and they will work fine, so long as they are rated for the weight. All manufacturers have a different method of measuring shanks, some are pin hole to bolt holes, some measure overall.

My travel buddy uses a Bulletproof shank (special design) with a weight distribution hitch head adapter. This allows on the fly adjustments to height and allows the hitch to be taken apart, lessening the weight you have to handle. It also projects the ball a little further out to help with tailgate clearance. I'm not sure which one he is using (length wise) but he has a '17 RAM 2500 4x4 with the 2-1/2 receiver. This has worked well for him on a 24 foot or so Forest River Surveyor of 7000 lbs or so GVWR.

https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/

Bulletproof 2-1/2 in shanks of various drops and weight capacities

Medium Weight distribution adapter

Heavy weight distribution adapter

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BXW4000_BlueOx_WeightDistributionShank7Hole9Inch_800x600.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	429127  
Old 03-13-2023, 09:51 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Sparta , NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Every hitch manufacturer uses the same dimensions, on shanks, the vertical bar being 2 inch to accept the hitch head and having 3/4 inch holes spaced 1-1/4 inch on center. You can use a Reese, Curt, Equalizer, Blue Ox, etc shanks and they will work fine, so long as they are rated for the weight. All manufacturers have a different method of measuring shanks, some are pin hole to bolt holes, some measure overall.

My travel buddy uses a Bulletproof shank (special design) with a weight distribution hitch head adapter. This allows on the fly adjustments to height and allows the hitch to be taken apart, lessening the weight you have to handle. It also projects the ball a little further out to help with tailgate clearance. I'm not sure which one he is using (length wise) but he has a '17 RAM 2500 4x4 with the 2-1/2 receiver. This has worked well for him on a 24 foot or so Forest River Surveyor of 7000 lbs or so GVWR.

https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/

Bulletproof 2-1/2 in shanks of various drops and weight capacities

Medium Weight distribution adapter

Heavy weight distribution adapter

Charles
Appreciate that intel. I checked out the Bulletproof products. I'm sure it's decent quality but I'm not a fan of the integration structure of using their shank with the adapter to attach to the Equalizer hitch. More parts that can rattle.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:30 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
What size shank dodge 2500 4x4

Quote:
Fast forward to today and I bought a Shocker air hitch but found the 10 hole XR Mount (shank) leaves the trailer 2 1/2” high. We’re headed to JC in June to get the Dexter lift installed to level the trailer

Did you find a significant improvement with the Air Equalizer?
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Will let you know after I get the lift kit installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
Did you find a significant improvement with the Air Equalizer?
I wish I could give you an honest answer but only drove it a few miles to a flat parking lot to measure the height. I don’t want to put any serious miles on it with the nose 2-1/2” high. Based on what others who have used The Shocker Air Equalizer say, I’m confident enough that it will help to keep it. Too bad Shocker doesn’t have a longer XR Mount (Shank).

I like the fact you can adjust the ride by adjusting the air pressure. Also, it’s still manageable to lift off the hitch and store on the spare receiver I have on the trailer’s tongue so it’s not in the way once we get to our destination.

I’ll be able to give you a better answer when we come back from JC in June.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:11 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Be aware that any hitch that increases the distance from the tow vehicle's rear axle to the hitch ball will decrease the tow vehicle's ability to control the trailer. This is one reason I prefer to tow on the ball. The shorter this overhang distance, the more stable the rig will be. Fifth wheels are noted for their stability because this overhang distance is zero.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:10 PM   #27
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Picture of Gen Y Torsion Flex with Equalizer head

I got the Gen Y hitch to get a smoother ride. Got the longer model.

TV is 2019 Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gen Y Hitch Profile.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	429149  
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:53 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Sparta , NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy543 View Post
Be aware that any hitch that increases the distance from the tow vehicle's rear axle to the hitch ball will decrease the tow vehicle's ability to control the trailer. This is one reason I prefer to tow on the ball. The shorter this overhang distance, the more stable the rig will be. Fifth wheels are noted for their stability because this overhang distance is zero.
If you had a 1/2 ton for a TV I would agree with you. If you have a 3/4 or 1 ton (I have a 3/4 ton) you won't have any issues or concerns. My Ram 2500 is rated to tow nearly 17k pounds. Throw in my Equalizer WD hitch with sway bars and rear air ride and you make up the difference easily if I decide to go with a longer ball extension.

Right now I am thinking to go with the Gen-Y Boss Torsion Flex for a new shank. This will also help calm things and keep more comfort with the solid axle design on the 2500. Ride won't transfer into the truck as much.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:02 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Sparta , NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
I got the Gen Y hitch to get a smoother ride. Got the longer model.

TV is 2019 Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel
Thanks Jim. Saw your YouTube review on this Gen-Y shank. It was helpful.

I contacted Gen-Y as well and gave them my receiver dims and they recommended the 9.5' inch drop too even with the extra lift on my truck and 35" tires.

Difference on my truck to yours is that mine is the 6.4L Hemi Gas engine (lighter weight than Cummins Diesel) and I have factory Ram Air on the rear instead of coils so will auto level itself. Just need to figure correct bracket placement for the WD bars with air ride inactive which I read to use the center bracket holes. Equalizer still recommends 75-100% of the weight to still be transferred to the front of the truck using the WD bars even though have rear air auto leveling system.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
What size shank dodge 2500 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
I got the Gen Y hitch to get a smoother ride. Got the longer model
Ooof, 73 lbs, on top of the WD hitch head. I like that there is no bag to air up or risk leaking. I’m not sure whether it would make a significant difference with my FC 23. Though it’s worth considering anything that might keep the kiddos asleep and not car sick, lol.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:06 AM   #31
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia

Name:	IMG_4161.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	429163 Another for the Gen Y hitch. This is before the lift kit install on the coach. Once installed I had to raise the shank up on the hitch by three holes. 2018 RAM 2500.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:32 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Sparta , NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Attachment 429163 Another for the Gen Y hitch. This is before the lift kit install on the coach. Once installed I had to raise the shank up on the hitch by three holes. 2018 RAM 2500.
JDG - could you enlighten how much clearance when you have the tailgate fully down and space from AS electric jack?

Are you running oem suspension height or modified?
Old 03-15-2023, 08:07 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Moreland , Georgia
Quote:
Have you considered adding a Dexter Axle Lift to your Airstream? That would give you back 3”.

Our 2019 RAM 2500 Laramie needed a longer drop shank to level our trailer. I found a 2 1/2” CURT 8” drop gave me enough to level the trailer. In fact, I cut off about 1.5” from the bottom. We’ve got a Blue Ox SwayPro but your Equalizer should fit on the drop shank. Check with the good folks at eTrailer first.

Fast forward to today and I bought a Shocker air hitch but found the 10 hole XR Mount (shank) leaves the trailer 2 1/2” high. We’re headed to JC in June to get the Dexter lift installed to level the trailer.

Hope you find a solution for yours.
Another issue is that the Airstream coupler on the tongue positions the ball much lower than most top mount couplers. Old Airstreams used a bottom mount coupler which put the ball even lower.

Blue Ox makes two different hitch heads, one designed for top mount couplers (presumably with the ball up high) and one for undermount couplers, which has the holes located slightly different to "rock the head back" which raises the bars, helping with ground clearance. With the Blue Ox for undermount couplers it would put the bars up closer to the frame of the tongue.

The Blue Ox web site has been updated and uses artist renderings of many of the components and they did not use different, and more accurate illustrations of the two hitch heads.

I pieced together two pics from etrailer and the heads look the same, but if all of the mounting holes were lined up, it would be apparent that the bars would sit somewhat higher.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blue Ox undermount vs top mount hitch head.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	429187