Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
After 12 years and still no definitive answer I would say there is no “best”. If there was it would be the only one still on the market.
I would tend to conclude that "best" is a loaded term, because it depends on too many factors that are different in each situation. Best for my setup is not going to be best for someone else's circumstance.

Where we might be better off heading toward is a discussion of what gives acceptable performance based on cost, design, ease of use, etc. Whatever criteria you might want to apply.

For my towing setup, vehicle and Airstream, I decided that "best" is a ProPride (Hensley design) system that I am planning to modify further by adding remote controlled power-operated weight distribution jacks. Once that's done, I'm planning to call it "best" for my situation.

The entire discussion of "best", especially pertaining to hitch systems that provide WD and anti-sway is rapidly becoming akin to religion and/or political discussions. Everyone seems to have a strongly-held position, does not have a lot of tolerance for opposing opinions, and it gets emotional and heated far too easily. We can live without the fire and brimstone...

Let's all remember that "best" is an opinion, and that perhaps we should be very clearly enunciating why a particular solution is best for our personal situation before pronouncing it to be the "best" for everyone....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
You are right about the Tundra it is only a 1/2 ton. In 2006 Toyota is coming out with a 3/4 ton pickup truck. It will have a larger V-8 and a Diesel engine.
Emphasis added.

Huh? I've heard that Toyota is coming out with a Diesel in late 2017 to 2018 or so. Is this a typo? Or did I miss a great opportunity?
Old 12-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Emphasis added.

Huh? I've heard that Toyota is coming out with a Diesel in late 2017 to 2018 or so. Is this a typo? Or did I miss a great opportunity?

You're quoting a post from 2005. Not a typo but maybe unwarranted hype?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You're quoting a post from 2005. Not a typo but maybe unwarranted hype?
Boy, that was dumb, I need to form a habit of looking at when the post was....missed that it was from 2005. I bought a Tacoma in 2008, would have loved a diesel...

But anyway, according to my honest and friendly Toyota Service Adviser, the long-awaited Diesel engine Toyota Pickup, whatever size it might be, is being tested in Texas as a 'mule' this year, and according to him, is going to hit the market late 2018-2019 or so.

He just put a nasty delay into me getting a new truck....so now I wait and see some more...should be interesting when they come out with it. I may have to rethink my 'don't buy the first version' policy on that one.