Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What type of hitch do you use?
Just the ball 10 6.37%
Weight distribution with friction bar 32 20.38%
Equal-I-Zer 32 20.38%
Dual Cam 38 24.20%
Pullrite 0 0%
Pivot point projection (Hensley, Propride) 45 28.66%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Thumbs up

Total newbie here using an Equal-i-zer

I really am a newbie, I purchased my Airstream and tow vehicle while on a long trip in my Roadtrek SS Agile (short Sprinter). After a few months we wanted more room and the only RV we both wanted was an Airstream.

Stopped in Gulfport, MS and traded the Sprinter for a 2012 27FB International and bought a truck from the same dealer. I had never even heard of a hitch, no idea what difference it made. I asked for advise from the nice folks at Foley RV and declined the lowest cost. My words to the dealer were "what would you buy if your family was in the vehicle." They recommended the Equal-i-zer.

All I can say after towing my brand new A/S with my brand new truck from Mississippi to Northern California then on a few trips to the mountains with numerous 7% grades I have to check to mirrors to make sure there's a trailer back there. Never seen a sway, no glitches always looks level from a distance.

I relied on the dealer for advise on the truck and the hitch. After the sale they went out of their way to set up the hitch for me, explain it in detail then spend several hours of their time teaching me to tow including a long practice session in a lot with orange cones.

Very glad I stopped in Gulfport to make the purchase!

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #22
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
I have the Husky Centerline.

I LOVE it. The best hitch I've ever used.

When I first purchased my latest trailer I was going to go with an Equalizer, but the reports of loud pops and noises had me concerned. I hadn't even HEARD of the Husky hitch, and basically stumbled across one at an RV dealership in New Orleans. The first thing that struck me was how the hitch looked; it was meticulously finished, and just LOOKED good. So, it got my interest. I researched what I initially thought was an Equalizer copy when I learned about the compression discs and how they eliminate sway...while also eliminating the noises caused by the friction aspect of the Equalizer. I decided to try the Centerline, with the 600lb bars for my 19ft 75th Prototype.

My local dealer matched the cheapest online price I could find. The hitch has a lifetime warranty. I DID have the widely reported problem with broken compression discs as there was a batch of the hitch heads made with a soft metal problem upon initial release in 2010. However, this issue was taken care of immediately and I received a brand new hitch head which has traveled thousands of miles without a problem.

The absolute lack of sway is amazing with this hitch. I've NEVER felt that familiar sucking motion when trucks pass. Out west in windstorms I've never felt the trailer wander or gyrate whatsoever. My SSR actually rides BETTER when towing the Airstream with the properly meticulously set-up Centerline (which took quite a while to get it exactly right). There are no harsh bumps, no hitch binding clanks, no squeaks, no rattles, no creaks, no moans. The hitch is nearly completely noise-free.

The only negative thing I've found about the hitch is the weight of the hitch head. It is huge. And, it weighs a ton. I have a long Eaz-Lift 18" drawbar (that fits deep underneath my SSR) and the combined weight of that and the huge Centerline head is astonishing. It's difficult to get it up under the truck to mount it. However, it IS super solidly built...you could pull a train with it. But, with all that heft on the head is some great engineering. Tilting the head could not be easier...there are no ridiculous washers and spacers to install. The Centerline uses a notched square washer system that is simple and a design completely along the lines of "why didn't everyone else think of that" in that you simply move the washer in or out one tooth at a time to angle the hitch head. No need to completely disassemble the head to change the angle. It was actually FUN setting up this hitch...except for lifting the thing. I reiterate...the head is HUGE and feels it. I've never lifted a hitch head/drawbar so heavy.

I can't recommend this hitch enough. For anyone who wants an Equalizer type hitch but without the noise and more primitive design, the Husky Centerline seems to be the natural technological evolution. The compression cylinders are genious...and did I mention that there's no noise???

Hope this helps someone,
Jeff
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Blue Ox, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I found very quickly (approximately 30 seconds after entering the interstate the first time I towed it) that sway was a nasty problem with ours if the sway bar isn't tight enough. To be fair, the lifter bars had practically zero weight on them, too, so the strange weight distribution that resulted from that probably contributed to the swaying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
There's another friction bar on the other side and yes, I know the clips are in the wrong way!
It matters which way the clips are in?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I found very quickly (approximately 30 seconds after entering the interstate the first time I towed it) that sway was a nasty problem with ours if the sway bar isn't tight enough. To be fair, the lifter bars had practically zero weight on them, too, so the strange weight distribution that resulted from that probably contributed to the swaying.

Only after they fall out.

On our old style Reese I always pushed the friction bar ball clips all the way thru to the large end, do the same on the Hensley jack screw clips.

What hitch?

No weight transferred forward to the steering axle=white knuckles.

Bob
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Older Reese Dual Cam

... it's what came with the trailer. I've never had any sort of issue, so have never seen any sort of reason to investigate anything else. Then again, I tow with a 3/4 ton diesel pickup that substantially out-weighs the trailer. And it's the "re-designed" GM class V receiver box, so it's robust enough that the w/d and anti-sway may not be so critical. So far, tens of thousands of no-issue miles.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post

It does when they're so close to the bumper of the TV. I had to do a sharp 180 degree turn and as I hit full lock I heard the clip ping as the open end caught the bumper and it flew off, sadly I know not where. Turn them around the other way and they're forced on rather than off if they contact the bumper. Also, if it's a case of up and down, the open end should face down, just to have a little bit of extra help from Mr Gravity.

By such events, much is learned :~)

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Another interesting poll would be: what hitch would you buy if you didn't have one?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Some Info About Equilizer

Thought some of you Equilizer users might benefit from this.....met a guy this last weekend using an Equilizer hitch, and got to talking with him about his hitch. He said of course that he liked it, and especially since he fixed it from all the noise it made originally. Asked how, and he showed me he had installed additional clips on the top of the pins that prevented the pins from riding against the bars. He said it stopped all of the creaking and groaning it did in the turns, and I thought is was a very simple mod and fix. Hope this helps someone.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
ProPride with 1400# bars

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Draw-Tite with 1000lb. bars
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #32
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Update...

Just to give you an idea of how huge and massive (and freakin' HEAVY!!!) the Husky Centerline hitch head is, here is a picture of it in its box before installation, with my boot included for comparision. Keep in mind these boots are also huge and a size 12...the hitch makes my huge clob boots look small!

But, all in all...a GREAT hitch. If you like the ease and simplicity of the Equalizer, you'd love the Centerline...provided you're after less noise and better sway control.

ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Equal-I-Zer. I started out with a friction hitch, then got the dual cam, but sold the AS with the friction. Before I could try the dual cam, bought a SOB that came with the Equal-I-Zer. I added the pads, no notiable noise, and no sway, trucks passing me or me passing trucks. I even showed my wife how our truck drives while towing with no hands on the wheel (yikes).
Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
(West) Seattle , Washington
Reese, it has two bars, but I'm not sure if it's a WD or not. Anyway, I'm new, and that's what I have! Boy have I got a lot to learn!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1112504355.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	630.0 KB
ID:	157934   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-122258750.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	611.5 KB
ID:	157935  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-239570014.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	696.9 KB
ID:	157936  
AirSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSeattle View Post
Reese, it has two bars, but I'm not sure if it's a WD or not. Anyway, I'm new, and that's what I have! Boy have I got a lot to learn!
It don't have no WD or sway control hooked up like that....

Bob
Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What are you hitched with?

Greetings AirSeattle!

Welcome to the world of Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSeattle View Post
You have a modern version of the Reese Strait-Line Hitch with the HP Dual Cam Sway Control. It is a more complicated (IMHO) version of the classic Daul Cam with attachments points via large U-Bolts. Once properly adjusted the HP Dual Cam is every bit the equal (if not superior) to the classic version that is somewhat easier to adjust.

Enjoy your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Only after they fall out.

On our old style Reese I always pushed the friction bar ball clips all the way thru to the large end, do the same on the Hensley jack screw clips.

What hitch?

No weight transferred forward to the steering axle=white knuckles.

Bob
Reese WD. I bought it with the camper, and I found a bunch of separate issues in the hitch configuration: lifter bars way too loose, sway bar was basically a fashion accessory, breakaway cable routed through the chain, breakaway cable had been shortened with electrical crimps (the cable pulled out of the crimp, instead of the pin pulling out of the box...sigh), and the brackets weren't at the right location so the chains on the lifter bars weren't straight. It took me a while, doing a bit at a time, but now it feels like a completely different rig, and I've been in tighter situations than what caused that initial sway without even a wiggle. And the new breakaway cable will actually pull the pin out of the box...what a concept.

When it happened I was thinking, "What monster did I buy?" But I knew it wasn't supposed to do that either. I tightened the sway at the next stop and then adjusted as I described above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
It does when they're so close to the bumper of the TV. I had to do a sharp 180 degree turn and as I hit full lock I heard the clip ping as the open end caught the bumper and it flew off, sadly I know not where. Turn them around the other way and they're forced on rather than off if they contact the bumper. Also, if it's a case of up and down, the open end should face down, just to have a little bit of extra help from Mr Gravity.

By such events, much is learned :~)
LOL - I usually put the rear pin in facing down anyway because it's easier. I didn't think about the front one though, although I will say I see it sticking out when I'm stepping over the hitch and think, "I'm going to catch on that!"

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Propride 3P with 1000 lb bars. I'd buy it again.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Sorry, Could not vote in your poll, my hitch was not included. Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch. I have no idea how it compares with other WD hitchs as I have never used one before this purchase. All I know is that it works.
Nuts. Thought I had 'em all covered.

I watched the video at manufacturer website. At first I thought it was a variation on the Equal-I-Zer... but it looks like the chains provide the WD, and the anti-sway happens in the sleeve at the ball.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Nuts. Thought I had 'em all covered.

I watched the video at manufacturer website. At first I thought it was a variation on the Equal-I-Zer... but it looks like the chains provide the WD, and the anti-sway happens in the sleeve at the ball.
From talking to Dave Anderson I believe that is mostly correct. A large part of the dampening also happens in the urethane bushings. This WD hitch is a whole new concept and way of looking at WD and sway control. I am not an engineer and have limited to no experience with prior use of WD hitches. The difference between not using the unit and using it is instantly noticeable and seems to work very well for my trailer and TV combination. Instillation and set up is very straight forward and can be done by anyone with basic tools and the ability to read simple instructions.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote