Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2024, 01:35 PM   #1
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Weight distribution hitch off road

I see in a most recent Tradewind walkthrough Patrick (Colonial Airstream) is suggesting disconnecting the weight distribution hookup on back country towing to reduce pressure on the frame. Sounds like some of the front end separation problems are being listened to.
Who already does this?
Old 06-12-2024, 04:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
I see in a most recent Tradewind walkthrough Patrick (Colonial Airstream) is suggesting disconnecting the weight distribution hookup on back country towing to reduce pressure on the frame. Sounds like some of the front end separation problems are being listened to.
Who already does this?
That is true for any trailer. WD bars should always be removed when off roading and on rough dirt roads with pot holes and deep ruts. They put undue pressure on the trailer and TV. WD bars are not well suited to extreme angles. I'm certainly no expert here, so others who have more knowledge of the physics involved will likely contribute more detail.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Who already does this?

I believe all WD hitch makers would recommend removing the hitch bars off road yes. A flat campground gravel road? No.

It has more to do with unlevel ground, ruts, etc found off road. I avoid fuel stations with steep inclines, even on pavement like the plague.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote