Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
By the way, the manufacturer of my SUV does not allow weight distribution hitches.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #42
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
By the way, the manufacturer of my SUV does not allow weight distribution hitches.

Others will be curious as to full SUV make model year and engine details.

Me frankly I’m not curious.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Others will be curious as to full SUV make model year and engine details.

Me frankly I’m not curious.
OK, I'll do it for the others.

2014 Mercedes ML 350
3.0 liter diesel
455 ft-lbs@1600 RPM
max tow rating 7200 lbs
max tongue weight 575 lbs weight carrying
max distance between hitch pin and ball 7.5"
Old 03-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
And, again, I ask why would you consider towing an AS without a WDH for both weight distribution and "SWAY" control? Lots of youtube data on the value of WDH...not only "extra" safety for you while driving at highway speeds, but also for others on the road should something happen causing you to swerve...have you ever swerved at 65mph with an 8k trailer on your bumper hitch yet? I have and I will tell you the combination of my WDH and size of my TV saved me from a roll over... (I also wear my seatbelt, even though I have airbags!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
OK, I'll do it for the others.

2014 Mercedes ML 350
3.0 liter diesel
455 ft-lbs@1600 RPM
max tow rating 7200 lbs
max tongue weight 575 lbs weight carrying
max distance between hitch pin and ball 7.5"
I also owned an ML350; max tow rating was fine, but Payload would not handle a 1100lb tongue weight on your 28'AS, 2 passengers (370lbs), dog (50lbs) camp gear (100)lbs. Total Payload 1620lbs....Curious; what is your payload on your short wheel base MBZ?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 03-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
And, again, I ask why would you consider towing an AS without a WDH for both weight distribution and "SWAY" control? Lots of youtube data on the value of WDH...not only "extra" safety for you while driving at highway speeds, but also for others on the road should something happen causing you to swerve...have you ever swerved at 65mph with an 8k trailer on your bumper hitch yet? I have and I will tell you the combination of my WDH and size of my TV saved me from a roll over... (I also wear my seatbelt, even though I have airbags!)
I've swerved at 75 mph. Never had a problem.

You seem to be saying that you are safer with more weight on your front axle. Where are you getting that from?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:55 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
I also owned an ML350; max tow rating was fine, but Payload would not handle a 1100lb tongue weight on your 28'AS, 2 passengers (370lbs), dog (50lbs) camp gear (100)lbs. Total Payload 1620lbs....Curious; what is your payload on your short wheel base MBZ?
I use a w/d hitch when I tow my 28 with the Mercedes (against the mfr's recommendation). The springs are too soft for all that load. I've towed my 4500 lb 22 without w/d and it handles superbly.

The MB has a max payload of 1014. My 28 has a 900 lb tongue wt. so I need the hitch for that setup. The car tows the 28 like a champ. I'd put it up against any 1/2 ton pickup. I looked at buying a 1/2 ton and found out that they weren't as capable a tow vehicle as the MB. An F-150 even requires a w/d hitch at 500 lbs tongue wt. I finally settled on a RAM 2500 which gives me all the payload I need without having to use a w/d hitch. Plus I have room for all the bicycles, tables, carpets, chairs, etc.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #48
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
Your point is irrelevant to a non towing situation. There is no dynamic instability to contend with only static.
I don't agree. I regularly see heavy duty pickups spinning their rear wheels from a stop, especially on wet pavement, and these same trucks experience extended braking distances due to forward weight transfer from an already underloaded rear axle. Then there is oversteer resulting from a heavy front axle weight bias.

These are all dynamic instability issues.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #49
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Does not allow, or does not comment on? I reviewed the 2014 ML owner's manual (US version) and it does not mention weight distributing hitches anywhere. I had the manuals handy because Mercedes has an interesting approach to rear axle weight ratings (which they go into great detail on). They publish two rear axle weight ratings, one when towing and one when not towing, for their vehicles. Since the strength of the axle doesn't change, that implies that they are limiting the rear axle load based on dynamic loads (since towing in Europe brings into play a lower speed limit).

A German SUV is designed in Germany, so manufacturer opinions will not generally address WD equipment. Also, manufacturer opinions refer to the original equipment hitch. If the MB hitch is not designed for WD loads, you should not use it with WD without first evaluating its ability to handle those loads.

Fortunately, there are aftermarket hitch options available that do not limit you to the factory hitch.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Does not allow, or does not comment on? I reviewed the 2014 ML owner's manual (US version) and it does not mention weight distributing hitches anywhere. I had the manuals handy because Mercedes has an interesting approach to rear axle weight ratings (which they go into great detail on). They publish two rear axle weight ratings, one when towing and one when not towing, for their vehicles. Since the strength of the axle doesn't change, that implies that they are limiting the rear axle load based on dynamic loads (since towing in Europe brings into play a lower speed limit).

A German SUV is designed in Germany, so manufacturer opinions will not generally address WD equipment. Also, manufacturer opinions refer to the original equipment hitch. If the MB hitch is not designed for WD loads, you should not use it with WD without first evaluating its ability to handle those loads.

Fortunately, there are aftermarket hitch options available that do not limit you to the factory hitch.
That's correct. They don't address w/d hitches. So the owner has to take the responsibility. They do limit the hitch pin to ball distances to 7.5" which effectively says you can't use a w/d hitch.

I am thoroughly confident in the hitch's ability to handle much larger loads than indicated. I do check the welds from time to time. So far so good after 35k tow miles.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:05 PM   #51
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Oos...

So you have a great powerful TV that COULD tow your Airstream. IF, it was DESIGNED to tow your AS, but you tow your Airstream anyway because this is a free Country.
50/50...got it.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
everyone has an opinion

when it comes to safety and my family, i do not cheap out

I would not risk it or consider towing an AS without both weight distribution and SWAY control
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ditto. Family safety is the bottom line around Casa de Krum as well...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I use a w/d hitch when I tow my 28 with the Mercedes (against the mfr's recommendation). The springs are too soft for all that load. I've towed my 4500 lb 22 without w/d and it handles superbly.

The MB has a max payload of 1014. My 28 has a 900 lb tongue wt. so I need the hitch for that setup. The car tows the 28 like a champ. I'd put it up against any 1/2 ton pickup. I looked at buying a 1/2 ton and found out that they weren't as capable a tow vehicle as the MB. An F-150 even requires a w/d hitch at 500 lbs tongue wt. I finally settled on a RAM 2500 which gives me all the payload I need without having to use a w/d hitch. Plus I have room for all the bicycles, tables, carpets, chairs, etc.
The WDH especially for that size AS is needed, for sure. Glad you have a larger TV for your 28'; to be clear, your 28' tongue weight is likely over 1000lbs; mine was 1100 when I picked it up new and weighed it at CAT scales. Dealer tried to argue it was 900lbs per the "listed weight". Read this thread long enough and you learn the "printed" weights on just about everything are not accurate...(AS, TV's, etc.) Best to weigh your rig and know. Note my scale weights below including tongue at 1100lbs...that's without full water, btw...

There are several folks on the Forum who will argue till their blue in the face about their SUV's being the "best handling; best towing" TV out there! There are even some folks who sware an old sedan is the best...and of course, their are those who always "know" better then most of experienced folks here..gets frustrating to see the arguments against being safe and smart on this topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scale weights.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	336665  
Old 03-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
The WDH especially for that size AS is needed, for sure. Glad you have a larger TV for your 28'; to be clear, your 28' tongue weight is likely over 1000lbs; mine was 1100 when I picked it up new and weighed it at CAT scales. Dealer tried to argue it was 900lbs per the "listed weight". Read this thread long enough and you learn the "printed" weights on just about everything are not accurate...(AS, TV's, etc.) Best to weigh your rig and know. Note my scale weights below including tongue at 1100lbs...that's without full water, btw...

There are several folks on the Forum who will argue till their blue in the face about their SUV's being the "best handling; best towing" TV out there! There are even some folks who sware an old sedan is the best...and of course, their are those who always "know" better then most of experienced folks here..gets frustrating to see the arguments against being safe and smart on this topic.
Airstream indicated a change in tongue weight in the last year that showed the 28 tongue weight was lowered about 100 lbs to 899 lbs per the brochure. Of course that's the stripped down weight without any options. I weighed the tongue and I'm in not near 1100 lbs. I lost my data but I'll weigh it again one day.

When weighing a dual axle trailer tongue it's important to have the trailer perfectly level, If the front is down the load pivots around the front axle. If the front is up the load pivots around the rear axle. Tire pressures could also have an effect. Single axle trailers don't have this problem (thought hey have other problems!).
Old 03-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Airstream indicated a change in tongue weight in the last year that showed the 28 tongue weight was lowered about 100 lbs to 899 lbs per the brochure. Of course that's the stripped down weight without any options. I weighed the tongue and I'm in not near 1100 lbs. I lost my data but I'll weigh it again one day.

When weighing a dual axle trailer tongue it's important to have the trailer perfectly level, If the front is down the load pivots around the front axle. If the front is up the load pivots around the rear axle. Tire pressures could also have an effect. Single axle trailers don't have this problem (thought hey have other problems!).
Forgot about the tongue weight reduction in the 28'; actually started with the 2018 model. Angle is not so much an issue since who lowers their front power jack beyond level when weighing anyway, and tire pressure has no affect on weighing a static trailer if it's on the scale? I know I just want to get the entire rig on the scales and off since it typically requires a couple of maneuvers with and without the trailer hooked up.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #57
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Load out your trailer CORRECTLY. Drive like you are going on a vacation, not in a combat zone. Stay away from areas where you think you would REALLY need WD. If your headlights are pointed at the moon, something is wrong. At load out if your lights are aiming high, they can be adjusted down to compensate. If WD makes you feel better, use it. I will be happy for you.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Weight distribution and sway control hitch not allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Let the sway games begin!

A parallel universe: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...er-193285.html

That’s real pretty, but we actually use that front compartment for levelers, our hose and electric cable. Would be really unhandy to move the gennie every time we rolled into camp.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post

omg
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:21 PM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
Load out your trailer CORRECTLY. Drive like you are going on a vacation, not in a combat zone. Stay away from areas where you think you would REALLY need WD. If your headlights are pointed at the moon, something is wrong. At load out if your lights are aiming high, they can be adjusted down to compensate. If WD makes you feel better, use it. I will be happy for you.
I'll wager your choice in your area is not to use it. 😂

Please tell us...exactly what areas would need it, Canada?🤔

Bob
🇺🇸