Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
short suff

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Gallatin , Tennessee
Weigh safe hitch

Has anyone had any experience with the weigh safe true tow weight distribution hitch? Looks interesting if it works and is accurate. Thanks for the input
short stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Why?

IMHO...A not needed 'gizmo'.

Plus I wouldn't trust any outfit that twists the safety chains to the proper length, or attaches the cable for the breakaway switch to the receiver.🥴

...and just noticed, square WD bars, not the best choice, especially for a smaller trailer. Tapered bars provide for a more progressive application of force and the bars are providing the friction for the sway control.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384-Edit.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	361261  
Old 02-17-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
IMHO...A not needed 'gizmo'.

Plus I wouldn't trust any outfit that twists the safety chains to the proper length, or attaches the cable for the breakaway switch to the receiver.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Wow! I have been doing those two things all of my life with no problems. I don't think that I have ever seen anyone hook a breakaway switch cable anywhere else but to the receiver. Where do you hook it?
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I replaced a license plate screw with an eyebolt it goes thru and has washer and nut on backside. Other techniques exist of course.

Idea is to use different vehicle attachment point from hitch.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
Wow! I have been doing those two things all of my life with no problems. I don't think that I have ever seen anyone hook a breakaway switch cable anywhere else but to the receiver. Where do you hook it?
To the TV directly where it belongs.👍

To the OP...on a side note. Your smaller single axle trailer will require an efficient WD application. That hitch design uses friction ON the bars to get the WD, more tension the more friction sway control. You should not have to apply much tension to get the WD you need.
A friction bar like this is what we used on our single axle AS.

Stream Happy

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_fe9.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	361262   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1d27.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	361263  

Old 02-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
Me too, they figure the trailer will either come uncoupled or the ball mount would slide out. Now if the receiver comes off and your bumper stays on you got problems.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by short stuff View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the weigh safe true tow weight distribution hitch? Looks interesting if it works and is accurate. Thanks for the input
I do not have their WD hitch but I do use their Weigh Safe regular hitch. It is extremely well made and the gauge is right on the money. I tested it with a Sherline Tongue Weight scale.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Twisting the chains is not a best practice, but it doesn't degrade working load significantly 5% for modest 29% twist where they don't overlap on each other, up to 20% if they are severely twisted. So shorten the chains when you have a chance, you want to try to avoid letting the tongue hit pavement and possibly hanging up on a pothole or crack. If you can't shorten them, twisting them is better than leaving them long, after all the chains are way oversized.

I'm also with Bob on the hitch design. The stiff square tube steel is not my favorite. In dynamic situations, it can add a lot of stress to the frames. Maybe there are some advantages but none come to mind.

My Ram has a class V hitch that is integral to the frame. It also serves as the bumper mount. I can't imagine it coming loose.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote