Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
Dr Scotch

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Stouffville , Ontario
WDS install

Just joining the Airstream community, picking up the new 27’ this week. How much should I expect to pay to have the hitch with WD installed and adjusted? Thanks!
DrScotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I assume you have already agreed on a price, if not get them to include the hitch and installation. If you buy the hitch from them they should agree to install it for free. If you want to save some money and buy the hitch on line, or another party one hour labor should cover it.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Depends upon the hitch. Some require more of a set up. RV dealers rip you off. First of all what kind of hitch are you going to get? I can tell you my Blue Ox that I got from the dealer was improperly installed. You would be better off spending the time and getting the information and doing it yourself. Or standing over them during the entire process and learning how they put it on and checking they do it right with the instructions in front of you. For one thing you need to know what to do should anything happen on the road. Understanding how the hitch operates is critical.

I would do some research on the type of hitch you want installed. I wouldn’t buy it from the dealer. Total rip off. Not all are same and there are various types to consider. This is the biggest mistake I made when I first bought mine. I ended up getting rid of my Blue Ox and going to the Propride. Couldn’t be happier, but spendy. Installed it myself. Took about 3 to 4 hours. But I know how it operates and how to adjust it. I kept my Blue Ox as a back up.

Minimally you want:
1). Anti-sway
2). Weight distribution.

Then you have the learning curve of adjusting it to your Tow Vehicle. This is where the dealer should help. My dealer was useless. Read up about it or better yet call an experienced friend who has an RV to help.

Good luck. Happy Camping. Congrats on your new purchase! Safe travels.

And remember: take it slow and easy on your first trip. If this is your first time towing I would try to stay out of heavy traffic so you can relax and get the feel of the trailer behind the tow vehicle.

Also make sure you are in two haul mode while towing.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
DrScotch,

Hitches are a very highly discussed and argued topic here.

If possible after the dealer installs and “adjusts” your hitch likely you’ll need to really get to know it and be able to make your own adjustment. When you pick up doubtful you’ll be at full trip ready weight with gear etc.

Yeah a trusted been there done that go to helper might be a good asset.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Scotch, you don't mention what kind of tow vehicle you have. Best suggestion if you are in Ontario is to call the folks at Can-Am RV (Airstream) in London, ON and work with them on your setup. Would be well worth your time and effort to get a setup that works and is tuned by the experts at Can-Am.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'll guess that the most popular hitch for Airstreams is an Equalizer.
You can buy one on Amazon for about $670 and install it yourself. (WOW! The price went up a lot since I shopped!)
(If you want to know how it works and have some large tools.)
Or the dealer will sell and install it for $700-$900. It takes about an hour.
I bought mine off Craig's list and installed the truck part myself, but the dealer balked at installing a hitch he didn't sell. We compromised at paying one hour's labor, $114. I thought that was fair.
That got me home and it towed great, so I was hesitant to change anything. Eventually, I got to moving things around to level this or raise that, and I still consider it a work in progress, and it still tows great.

ghaynes755's advice is wise. Since you're in Ontario.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome aboard...👍

You will gain a valuable understanding of what it is and how it works if you DIY. All brands have manuals, it's not rokit seance.

Bob
🇺🇸