Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2022, 06:41 AM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I tow primarily in the western US. I have no problem towing a 65 mph or slightly less on an interstate highway with a posted speed limit of 75 mph. I stay in the right lane and I try to be courteous. I haven’t ever had an issue. I try to avoid interstate highways when possible, which helps keep my speed down.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:35 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLninja View Post
Has anyone noticed that when heading south, once I leave IL and hit kentucky and Tennessee, people tend to ride in the left lanes thus eliminating that the right lane is the slow lane and left is fast? It just amazes me how both lanes become slow lanes, then speeders push hard to weave left and right to get a few car lengths ahead, only to get thwarted if someone slows down and they are slowed to the back of the line.
I haven't found that to be state dependent or region dependent. I have seen that happen everywhere I have ever driven for any length of time.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:00 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Palos Verdes Estates , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattedfred View Post
Thanks again for sharing. Feel free to PM me to discuss this further if you'd prefer. It would be very helpful for me to know if there were any other contributing factors in addition to the ones you mention. So, I have a few more questions, if you don't mind.

You were using sway bars without a WDH?
Were you over either; GCVWR, GVWR, either axle rating or payload at the time of the accident?
Did the authorities or insurer bring up any of these weights after the accident?
Was the driver charged or ticketed for any offense?

Respectfully,
Ted
Yes we were using a weight distribution hitch. We were not over the GVWR. UNDER 6000 lbs. loaded including passengers. Tow vehicle good for 7200 lbs. Driver was not charged. Don’t believe insurance companies asked about weights but not sure.
DebTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:11 AM   #84
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebTaylor View Post
Yes we were using a weight distribution hitch. We were not over the GVWR. UNDER 6000 lbs. loaded including passengers. Tow vehicle good for 7200 lbs. Driver was not charged. Don’t believe insurance companies asked about weights but not sure.
Thanks again for sharing the details DebTaylor! Having the opportunity to learn from someone else's experience is priceless.

So, weights were all good. Winds and traffic were a factor.

Last questions, I think. What speed were you travelling at when the accident occurred?
After you switched to the Hensley hitch would you say you had the WDH you were using at the time of the accident dialed in correctly?

I appreciate your help very much!
Mattedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:31 AM   #85
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I was reading my owners manual for my TV and there were a few points noted:

“Weight Distribution Hitches:
Your vehicle is designed to tow without the need for a load distributing hitch. If you wish to use one, please consult your trailer maker for proper installation and set-up.
Improper set-up could degrade the handling, stability, and braking performance of
our vehicle.

Driving Safely with a Trailer:
- Operating speed when towing a trailer must not exceed 62 mph (100 km/h).

Towing Speeds and Gears
- When towing a Fixed-sided trailer (e.g., camper) do not exceed 55 mph (88 km/h)
- At higher speeds, the trailer may sway or affect vehicle handling.”

With no WD, which they expect most operators will follow based on manufacturers recommendations, speed is a factor and the manufacturer has set limits.

So we know that sway is related to speed and crossing over this set limit and going faster invites sway to occur, Other factors such as adequate tongue weight and no cross winds can help reduce sway occurrences when driving over 62 mph.

My other dilemma is how am I going to be able to drive this combo on highways where some speed limits and traffic flow is well above 70 mph and on some stretches of I5 in Southern Washington, we were going with the flow at 90 mph! (Not with a trailer). I don’t want to cause a traffic jam or get rear ended!

My TV was made in Alabama in 2019 and is a Honda Ridgeline. This vehicle was produced for our market so the expectation is that it will be used on North American road ways. When I look at these limits, I think they are better suited for Europe.
Hi

There are a lot of outfits that have tow limits which apply at "low" speeds (and possibly at sea level). Honda is far from the only one with these sort of fine print mumble mumble mumbles. The interesting thing is that they actually *tell* you what their assumptions are. Most manufactures hide this info under a rock somewhere.

Speed wise: You only get the full tow rating up to 62 MPH. Go over that and you need to reduce the weight of the tow. How much? Who knows. Brakes, steering, and drive train all get into this. There are YouTube videos of folks getting in trouble ....

WD wise: Their stock hitch is not set up for WD. It will not properly perform with WD ( = there's a limit on the hitch or the frame). This is far from the only hitch / frame with that restriction on it.

Basically what they want you to do is to sway under the tongue weight limit without WD and drop the tow weight to make that happen. If the hitch is rated at 500 pounds and your trailer has 15% tongue weight, you can't tow 5,000 pounds. Your max tow is a bit over 3300 pounds. That might be 3300 pounds at 62 MHP (but probably isn't) .....

This is part of why the Honda Pilot (with very similar mumble mumble) got traded in a while back.

Since you *can* do A/S without any WD, they aren't really saying that you can't run A/S.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:23 AM   #86
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
St Augustine , Florida
For sure it will do you no good-until you need it. Along the way it's peace of mind (to a degree) that my rig is prepared for sudden gusts of wind such as you may encounter if you travel through places like Livingston, Montana. Saw an F-150 at our exit out there with no anti-sway bar with both truck and 25' trailer on it's side. The mechanical reliance is a safeguard but even with that education on how to adjust when you encounter high winds is necessary to take advantage of all it may have to offer. Safe travels!
Twinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Virginia
We have a 30-foot AS. We towed it over 10,000 miles with a F-150 and then more recently over 5000 miles with a F-250 that replaced the 150. (I’ll write about our thoughts on the tv comparison another time.) We’ve always had the PP, so we have no experience without it. But even so, we would never try towing without it. It truly does eliminate sway in all conditions and circumstances that we’ve encountered. WD is helpful too but for us it’s really about anti-sway.
David in Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
WD wise: Their stock hitch is not set up for WD. It will not properly perform with WD ( = there's a limit on the hitch or the frame). This is far from the only hitch / frame with that restriction on it.

Basically what they want you to do is to sway under the tongue weight limit without WD and drop the tow weight to make that happen. If the hitch is rated at 500 pounds and your trailer has 15% tongue weight, you can't tow 5,000 pounds. Your max tow is a bit over 3300 pounds. That might be 3300 pounds at 62 MHP (but probably isn't) .....

This is part of why the Honda Pilot (with very similar mumble mumble) got traded in a while back.

Since you *can* do A/S without any WD, they aren't really saying that you can't run A/S.

Bob
Hi Bob,

It is strange that a typical Class 3 hitch is rated at 500/5,000 but in this case Honda has given us a TW of 600 lbs. This will go down based on how many people are in the vehicle. With 2 people, TW is 600 lbs and with 5 people TW drops to 495 lbs.

Our trailer comes in at 500 lbs TW based on my built in scale (this works out to 12% of the actual trailer weight). When using my WDH and dialling it in, I get an almost level TV and the ride is smooth and confident. WD does work great on this combo. With a ball hitch we would see a rear drop or squat of 2.5” and would feel the steering lighter and less grounded.

When the 2nd generation Ridgeline was designed they brought over a head from GM who was involved with the Avalanche. They did a bunch of work on the box and added rigid connectors between the cab and box and some stiffeners. So it is Unibody with a bit more!

With our 500 lbs TW from the trailer onboard, we still have 1,000 lbs of payload left over to play with which will rival many other trucks out there.

I just wish Honda would push the Ridgeline across the finish line and not stop at 90%. Otherwise and unfortunately, a Tundra might be our next move

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:45 AM   #89
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
An anti sway system might need to be used, depending on how the trailer is balanced and set up. Even if your TV has more then enough towing capacity. Linear-brake anti-sway bars (2) work well for me.
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:54 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
We had a brake style sway-bar on our little trailer and it worked but was noisy. We did have a sway event while using it so after that, I tightened up the brake quite a bit when using it.

Our new WDH has sway control built into the load bar mounts at the head. The trailer is rock solid even when passing a semi on the highway or being passed!

Old 01-23-2022, 10:08 AM   #91

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Been using Class V, 1,400 lb rated Equal-i-zer branded hitch since I bought my 30' 2004 Classic Slide Out. Even with a 3/4 ton GMC Savana van I do need the lift provided by WD side. Sway control is rock solid and I've had people towing behind me during heavy cross winds tell me that my trailer tracks like it's on a rail behind me. The combo with a full sized 3/4 ton van and that heavy hitch weight that the Slide Outs had, make for some remarkable towing experience.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:11 AM   #92
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Explain the advantage of not using a WD hitch? Whether one needs it or not. And your ProPride does a lot more than WD.
Here’s one - broke the frame on ours because I was using a WD hitch

Pic is turned 90, but you get the idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	408C9E46-29DB-4AA0-88DD-E2A71C49C8FB.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	410942  
asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:13 AM   #93
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
Now I just use an anti-sway bar

2020 AT4 Duramax towing a ‘57 SOTR
asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:22 AM   #94

2019 33' Classic
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Sway

Came across Kansas during 30 mph cross sides on I70. Tons of variables on proper vehicle and setup, but I had no sway with a Hensley. Everyone else visibly had their hands full. Obviously personal preference, but I’ve done the same route without adequate sway control and no fun at all.
Ozark Mtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
Seems the big variable would be the tow vehicle.

I can't imagine, for example, and F450 dually having much need for WDH.

SPP
It’s not just the tow vehicle specs, it’s how it’s set up. In many cases, the bumper mounted ball will be rated for one weight capacity, the frame mounted hitch for another (which can also vary depending on design and brand), and another weight based on weight distribution bars being attached.

My truck is rated for about 9000 lbs. towing, but the first limiting factor is my bumper ball mount specifies a maximum 500lbs. tongue weight, so I absolutely need a frame -mounted hitch, and weight distribution ensures my 800+ lbs. of tongue weight is within the safe capacity.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Laurel , Maryland
WD yes or no or sway control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I'll let you know once I drive without it. I was noting that commercial drivers never use them. I have a RAM 2500 Diesel. We'll see how much sag I get when hooked up.

The advantage of not having a WD hitch of course is wrangling the hitch and spring bars. Plus the extra weight. I like the ProPride because it hooks up without dealing with the bars. The stinger is a bit on the heavy side to move around. It's easy to disconnect and hook up, except when it isn't, like when you are on uneven ground or an incline.
3500 DRW ram diesel….. no I’m not using a WD hitch.
I do have 350000 miles on my truck multiple types of trailers.

With that said, passing a line of slow traffic including a semi. Scary ride! I went and immediately bought a sway control bar.
Later after using it, analyzing my past travels, I did feel a bit of a tail wag, at only 60-65 mph in the past.
Now I can travel faster when necessary, 70 mph+.
Why this happen to my DRW not certain, mileage on suspension? Probably.

My suggestion,IMHO, WD hitches are mainly for leveling TV-TT, with a WD hitch or without, you may want to look into a sway bar.

With the bigger trucks, you may not or will not need a WD hitch, (like myself) experiment, you may want to look into a sway bar. I now have a lessor stress level when traveling, using the bar.
Stay happy, safe and healthy, everyone in their travels. Rick
Rick n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:35 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I don't use a WDH nor will I ever. My trailer is a 22fb Bambi. Towed with 2018 f150, 2015 transit T150 and hd3500 Chevy.

No problems with this small trailer and these tow vehicles. I think WDH is overkill for me. IMHO if WDH was needed airstream would provide one.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
It is important to consider what a WDH does. The idea of distributing weight that sits over the rear axle to the front axle and trailer axle(s) is what makes me want to use it.

In my case, I can feel the steering get light and loose without weight distribution. When I apply WD some of the weight moves to the front axle and the drive feels better and tighter.

A happy result is that the truck levels out too.

As far as sway, many WDH manufacturers have build in sway control built in so you get a more complete package.

I know our 3500 Ram wouldn’t need a WD for levelling but I am sure the drive could be improved by moving some weight off the rear axle and putting forward. We don’t have the 3500 anymore so I can’t speak to the actual effect of WD on it.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #99
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick n Mary View Post
My suggestion,IMHO, WD hitches are mainly for leveling TV-TT, with a WD hitch or without, you may want to look into a sway bar.
I suggest that WD hitches are not designed for levelling the TV-TT, but rather for adjusting axle loads. Levelling is a side benefit. It is about addressing the root problem, not just the symptom. This matters because it gets back to why air suspension is not an alternative to WD, as it levels, but doesn’t address axle loads.

Agree that a sway bar is worth considering.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:13 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
Our X5 is 7,200 trailer with 551 pound tongue weight as rated by BMW with the tow package. Without the tow package it's 6,000 and 551. Odd ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Hi Bob,

It is strange that a typical Class 3 hitch is rated at 500/5,000 but in this case Honda has given us a TW of 600 lbs. This will go down based on how many people are in the vehicle. With 2 people, TW is 600 lbs and with 5 people TW drops to 495 lbs.

Our trailer comes in at 500 lbs TW based on my built in scale (this works out to 12% of the actual trailer weight). When using my WDH and dialling it in, I get an almost level TV and the ride is smooth and confident. WD does work great on this combo. With a ball hitch we would see a rear drop or squat of 2.5” and would feel the steering lighter and less grounded.

When the 2nd generation Ridgeline was designed they brought over a head from GM who was involved with the Avalanche. They did a bunch of work on the box and added rigid connectors between the cab and box and some stiffeners. So it is Unibody with a bit more!

With our 500 lbs TW from the trailer onboard, we still have 1,000 lbs of payload left over to play with which will rival many other trucks out there.

I just wish Honda would push the Ridgeline across the finish line and not stop at 90%. Otherwise and unfortunately, a Tundra might be our next move
WhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote