Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
It's an Airstream which are difficult to shift the COG too much and I have faith the OP knows a thing or two (of the COG is that far out, WD tension won't help much anyway) but, if it helps your ego to believe I'm wrong, knock yourself out.
That answers my question. On another note I just picked up a lightly used 1,000 lb Blue Ox sway pro with original 2 in. shank and a Reese 2 1/2 in. Titan shank for $175. I won’t use either one of those shanks since the pin hole to head mounting hole distance on both is way too long 9 and 12 inches. My current Equalizer shank is 6 inches. I can say the Blue Ox will tow my trailer just as well as the Equalizer without the bars attached.
Caution! Most advice given here is nothing more than a subjective opinion. Please reference the vehicles owner manual for instruction on towing and hitch use which is based on physics, facts, and research.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It seems pretty hard to jackknife a trailer at 35 or 40 mph on dry roads. I have no formula, tests or any other scientific explanation, just an educated guess.

My understanding of weight distribution is it transfers weight in two directions—1/3 to the trailer axles and 2/3 to the truck axles. This reduces tongue weight to the truck's cargo (payload) capacity, thus 600 lb. tongue weight would actually be 400 lbs. subtracted from the truck cargo weight. It would seem, therefore, it reduces tongue weight against the rating for any truck. I don't know that I have phrased this well. I do know that people frequently subtract the entire tongue weight from the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle and with most 1/2 ton trucks, determine they don't have enough cargo capacity and buy a 3/4 ton truck. It is called weight distribution because it distributes weight and this fact seems to be getting lost.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:39 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
It seems pretty hard to jackknife a trailer at 35 or 40 mph on dry roads. I have no formula, tests or any other scientific explanation, just an educated guess.

My understanding of weight distribution is it transfers weight in two directions—1/3 to the trailer axles and 2/3 to the truck axles. This reduces tongue weight to the truck's cargo (payload) capacity, thus 600 lb. tongue weight would actually be 400 lbs. subtracted from the truck cargo weight. It would seem, therefore, it reduces tongue weight against the rating for any truck. I don't know that I have phrased this well. I do know that people frequently subtract the entire tongue weight from the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle and with most 1/2 ton trucks, determine they don't have enough cargo capacity and buy a 3/4 ton truck. It is called weight distribution because it distributes weight and this fact seems to be getting lost.
Agreed. You can work through it and figure it out doing a bit of fulcrum calculating and multiple passes on CAT scale as you change the links on the tension bars. I don’t have the details in my head right away, but as I recall from looking at my CAT scale tickets few weeks back changing down 1 link on the BO (increasing tension on the bars) did not shift as much weight to the front axle as I thought it might. Maybe was only 40 or 60 lbs.

And filling up the 27 gal freshwater tank behind the axle did not reduce the tongue weight much either, since the distance of the center of mass of the water tanks is not that far behind the axle.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Someone mentioned exceeding tongue weight, but WD does not change allowable tongue weight as far as TV is concerned.
My F-150 receiver has a 500# tongue weight limit without WD, and a 1200# tongue weight limit with WD. It is stamped on the receiver's data plate.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:54 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
My F-150 receiver has a 500# tongue weight limit without WD, and a 1200# tongue weight limit with WD. It is stamped on the receiver's data plate.
Really? At first I wanted to say you better call Ford and double check, but then I remembered when I called my Toyota dealer service department about whether or not a full take of gas (I have a 38 gal tank) was included in the “official” vehicle weight numbers they were clueless. Important thing, I suppose, is to use the WD hitch, go to a CAT scale, place front steer wheels/axle on front pad, rear drive wheels/axle on second pad and trailer wheels on third pad. Make sure you are not exceeding the axle weight rating for either of the truck axles and that the combined weight of TV and trailer due not exceed Gross Combined Weight Rating.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:13 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
It's not the TV with the TW limit it's the receiver, set by the manufacturer.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32F21C2A-BA96-4C88-9C4B-41ABCD742176.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	376087  
Old 08-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsasf View Post
Really? At first I wanted to say you better call Ford and double check, but then I remembered when I called my Toyota dealer service department about whether or not a full take of gas (I have a 38 gal tank) was included in the “official” vehicle weight numbers they were clueless. Important thing, I suppose, is to use the WD hitch, go to a CAT scale, place front steer wheels/axle on front pad, rear drive wheels/axle on second pad and trailer wheels on third pad. Make sure you are not exceeding the axle weight rating for either of the truck axles and that the combined weight of TV and trailer due not exceed Gross Combined Weight Rating.
No need to call anyone. The data plate that states this is attached directly to the receiver. Maybe you need to crawl under your tow vehicle and see what yours says.

Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
samsasf,

I believe Toyota used to calculate payload with a full gas tank.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
samsasf,

I believe Toyota used to calculate payload with a full gas tank.
Yes, I eventually ferreted that info out. Seemed important to know given the weight is 228lb in a 38 gal tank. That would have been a big hit against payload after you subtrack out tongue weight and passenger weight.