Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

eagle river , Alaska
Cool truck too low for trailer

we have a 2005 chevy 3/4 ton and just got our first airstream (1981 excella) and the truck sits too low to pull the trailer. we have tried several different hitches. unfortunately its a holiday here and we stuck until we can get this figured out. anyone else ever had this happen? bought the truck used and this will be our first time towing.
wn2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Can you post a photo of your tow vehicle? I cannot imaging a 2500 tuck being too low for any trailer. Has your truck been customized into to some type of low rider?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Post a picture of what you have for a hitch. There is really no such thing as a truck too low. There are hitches to raise or lower the ball height to what ever you need.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

As Brian said it's very unlikely that a 3/4 Chevy would be too low to tow, unless the suspension has been "slammed". In fact our 06 3/4 Burb was several inches higher than our 95 and required a six inch drop.

Post those photo's.....
Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
4X4 trailer

Maybe your trailer has modified axles like this set up for the Alaskan outback..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gallery_2318_1_3939.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	88812  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Or maybe your trailer has new axles! (I had to raise our hitch by three inches after installing the new ones. Shows you how bad those old axles were!)

Lynn
Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here's how you compensate if the receiver is too low. Hitch Bars One of the examples here can give just over a 10" rise.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Chevy Silverado

When I went from my Suburban to a Silverado I thought I'd have to get a custom hitch bar with more than a six inch drop, However I was able to lower the drop on mine to the maximum and hitch up, expecting to be nose high. Low and behold my Chevy squatted down level with minimal help from the weight bars. I was concerned that I'd taken too much weight off of the front wheels and would have searchlights instead of headlamps, and NO steering, but after a trip to the scales, and a minimal amount of tweaking everything was fine.

Airstreams are LOW - normally 18-19 inch ball height. I've seen one guy who knowing his frame was damaged, welded another on beneath the original one. Other than that, I'm mystified that your truck is too low unless the hitch receiver itself is somehow dropped. What pray tell is the year and model of your Chevy. My 2008 Silverado's receiver sits at about 24 inches with nothing on it.

All that aside, if you go to WalMart and get a hitch that normally drops 4 inches, you simply turn it upside down in the receiver after inverting the ball of course, and voila... you have a hitch that RISES four inches above the receiver.

We all want to give you good advice - and pictures would be a huge help. To accurately measure your ball height, get the airstream on level ground, level it front to back (put a level on the floor and check), then measure the drop from the inside of the cup that receives the ball, down to the ground.

To determine the receiver height on the truck, make sure your tires are fully inflated for towing, and that you have decent shocks on the truck. If you've got 500 lbs of crap in the bed... that's going to lower the riding height of the truck bed too. Any kind of adjustable shocks - air or otherwise?

Also PLEASE don't tell me you have a beat up old van with a bumper hitch - the bumper hitch was NEVER meant to pull anything bigger than a lawn trailer - and could be ripped off by trying to pull a heavy trailer.

Paula
Old 10-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

eagle river , Alaska
Talking truck too low

i will try to add pictures tomorrow
we bought the truck used last month and all appeared to be fine-passed preinspection perfectly-but apparently it has been modified (found that out today) and it has something called a shackle on it-i dont know why and it is not obvious until we try to hitch the trailer...it does not look like a low rider truck at all...the springs are worn also...its a 2005 3/4 diesel four wheel drive... we were told if we fixed it it should give us about 2 inches more clearance...(replacing spring and undoing shackle)
we did consider turning the hitch upside down but havent found anything that says its is ok to do that...feedback on resources on that would be great-to get the measurement of 5 inches i went from the lowest part of the hitch to the ground...it doesnt have the new axels...this is our very first experience in towing and we appreciate all the help and ideas....we actually took everything out of the back of the truck and that didnt make a difference....
Old 10-13-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
What type of hitch have you researched?

I have read the installation/set-up instructions for a variety of Weight Distribution hitches and they each show that the shank can be turned *upside down* to obtain the correct hitch/ball height.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
How much of a drop does your hitch bar have? Maybe it's just too much for your truck. Also, when your truck is on level ground, what is the distance from the botttom of your receiver hole to the ground?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

eagle river , Alaska
pix of truck and hitch

not sure if this shows the problem - we were told yesterday the springs are shot and their was a 'shackle' put on the truck to lower it...when the truck is on even ground it does not appear to be lower in the back but apparently it is...so the plan is to remove that shackle and change out to heavy duty springs...worst part is that it cant be done for a few days and its kinda spendy...we are willing to turn the hitch upside down though-thanks for all the feedback...we are beginners and learning trial and error -we bought this truck and was told it was tow ready
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	88887  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wn2fly View Post
...-we bought this truck and was told it was tow ready
perhaps the seller meant, the TRUCK was ready for being towed...

looks like you already have a straight shank on the hitch. so there is nothing to turn over...

((can the FRONT section of the hitch be FLIPPED and reassembled ? ))

you could buy another shank (with a 2 inch or 4 inch drop) and flip it over...

but if the springs and shocks are SHOT that's still gonna be an issue

and towing will only make things worse (including tire wear and other running gear bits)

FIRST return the truck to the ORIGINAL height, by DITCHING the lowering shackles.

THEN evaluate the spring stack and shocks...

THEN sort out the hitch/shank weight distribution/sway issues;

THEN tow.

best of luck

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Check this thread....http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...les-34603.html

Worked at a Chevy store, have seen quite a number of bad receiver's, cracked welds and poor build/design. Replace with good aftermarket. It's one of the first things I did when we got the 06 Burb. It is not restricted to just the 02's

HD springs not a good option, when towing a Stream, Just make sure the shocks and tires are in good condition and the trailer is level when towing loaded.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
So, it looks like this might be a Reese hitch??? The shank seems to stick pretty far out from the bumper ...

Anyway... have you gone through the hitch adjustment/set-up for use with your truck? I have a similar hitch and had to completely readjust it when I switched trucks. I'm not saying that this process will alleviate the issue(s) that may be caused by your truck modification (shackle thing), but you should adjust the hitch properly none-the-less. If you can find the mfg of your hitch, there's likely a pdf on the web detailing how to set it (ball height, angle and chains). I'm attaching a pdf for the hitch I'm using - a draw-tite hitch. The instructions should be similar. There's a ton of information on this forum about hitch adjustment, especially about how to verify the trunion bars are positioned to shift the loads properly on the TV and TT axles. You can take this as far as you want: from making simple measurements and *eye-ing* the set-up to weighing your rig at CAT scales.

http://www.bsaohio.com/instructs/N7901.pdf

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
truck too low for trailer

Greetings wn2fly!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wn2fly View Post
not sure if this shows the problem - we were told yesterday the springs are shot and their was a 'shackle' put on the truck to lower it...when the truck is on even ground it does not appear to be lower in the back but apparently it is...so the plan is to remove that shackle and change out to heavy duty springs...worst part is that it cant be done for a few days and its kinda spendy...we are willing to turn the hitch upside down though-thanks for all the feedback...we are beginners and learning trial and error -we bought this truck and was told it was tow ready
You might want to reconsider replacing the stock springs with heavy duty . . . Airstreams behave better and live longer without body-to-frame separation if the tow vehicle has more subtle springing. I know that I would step down from the heavy duty springs on my K2500 Suburban if I were to replace its factory springs. You didn't mention the length or weight of your Excella . . . given its vintage, unless it is a 34' tri-axle, you shouldn't require heavy duty springs for a good tow - - - better to make up the difference in hitch spring bars(IMHO); and even then, you will likely need a spring bar rated at less than the actual tongue weight of the trailer to give your Airstream the ride that it wants.

Good luck with your setup!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I have the 2004 version of your truck and it tows perfectly. I'd suggest getting your truck back to original specs.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
What's going on at the other end of the truck, ie, the front? Does the truck sit level by itself? It should no matter what its height. If it has been lowered in the back, it should have been lowered in the front too. Changing the front height (down or back up) is a lot more difficult (expensive) than the back.

I could be wrong, but Alaska does not jump to the front of my mind when I hear lowered truck, especially 3/4 ton. Find a similar truck and compare them side by side.

Talk to several knowledgeable suspension people. A visit to a dealership may be in order.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

eagle river , Alaska
Talking more confusion

to make things a little more confusing we got a 2nd opinion from a truck shop that was servicing rvs and they said the springs are fine but its the shackle that needs to be adjusted and that will raise up the back end about 4 inches...if that still isnt enough, they will be prepared to add a something else to give it a little more spring-this estimate was much cheaper than the other and sounds more appealing and we will try that but they cant do the work until thursday...the truck has 93 k miles diesel and we we are being told that the springs shouldnt be worn out at this age...
and no, we do not see low rider trucks in alaska...the other truck we have is a dodge ram and side by side, there was a height difference but we assumed it was natural, never owning a chevy before....now we think we do see a slight diference and the back may sit slightly lower...its not a huge difference and difficult to find perfected level ground to look at it...we just bought at 31ft excella...thus far the few nights we have been adjusting to it and settling in and are thrilled with it...we plan to winter over in this traveling throughout the south...we are in cape cod at the moment until the truck issue is fixed then heading to north carolina...
Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs down

Stock chevy spring shackle's do not have an adjustment. IMHO, go OEM if, the springs are good you should have 20+in. of ball height.

Take a few more photo's of how it's set up now, it's hard to guess what you are working with.

No need to add "something"