Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Unhappy Trouble with Ford's Pro Trailer Backup Assist setup with a ProPride hitch

We have a PP hitch connecting our Expedition and 25' International.

The PP hitch has a forward extension that does not match the hitches that Ford shows as examples of the setup of its Trailer Backup Assist.

Since there are very few 2018 Expeditions on the road, especially with the Pro Trailer Backup Assist, we have not been able to find a Ford dealer or anyone at Ford Support that has experience with this rig setup. Of all the Backup Assist internet setup videos we have watch, none shows the PP hitch.

We are hoping that someone in the forum can help us with our predicament.

Thanks
DaytonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I'm looking forward to hearing more about using Backup Assist with a ProPride. We have not yet tried to setup our new F350 with it but would like to. I asked Sean at Propride about it and he thought others had success with getting it to work but didn't have specifics.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And I’ll post, “why does it matter”?

Fear of backing is justified, granted. It’s practice.

Your rig without a Hensley patent hitch is the bad scenario. Not in taking several or a dozen attempts backing.

Hell, I’ve backed for fifty years. And drive semis. I don’t ever make it in one shot. No one does.

If it takes me a half dozen times, it just means I’m tired.

In other words, it’s without meaning. Don’t try to say that the lack of a gizmo has meaning.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Being too dependent on technology can be bad news when the batteries run out or the infrastructure goes out. How many people can travel and navigate without some form of GPS?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Folks, it's not a fair assumption that the OP is incapable of backing his trailer without the Ford fiddly thing. He may just want to make the gadget work. I confess that I've thought about setting it up on my truck just for fun, but I haven't felt like it was worth the investment of time yet (after over a year with the truck).

I suspect that the issue is all about the PP hitch and not about the newness of the new Expedition, because there shouldn't be anything unique about it except Ford's internal configuration for things like the angle of the camera and the distance from the rear axle to the end of the receiver, etc.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Folks, it's not a fair assumption that the OP is incapable of backing his trailer without the Ford fiddly thing. He may just want to make the gadget work. I confess that I've thought about setting it up on my truck just for fun, but I haven't felt like it was worth the investment of time yet (after over a year with the truck).

Same with me. Too lazy to set it up yet. I did set it up on my last truck but rarely used it. Seems like it would come in very handy if you ever got into a spot where you had to back up STRAIGHT for a long ways.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
Backup assist ROCKS!

While we can't help with the ProPride aspect of this, we can offer this:

1. Make sure you're doing the setup on a level road/driveway/parking lot.
2. Add some non-reflective surface to the propane tank box behind the calibration matrix (that checkerboard thingy). We used black duct tape.
3. Make sure you have lots of runway for the calibration to "catch". 100-200 yds. is a safe bet.

It took a few tries, but we finally got it and love it. This is a crutch, sure, but it takes some of the stress out of backing and perhaps more importantly.. straightening out.

(I'm sure my dad is spinning in his grave now over his daughter using something like this to back a silly 'ole trailer)

Good luck!!
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
Back up assist

I have a 2017 F-150 and an equalizer hitch. Not sure how it differs from the Henley. We were able to set it up and it does work, but as soon as you have a certain degree of angle between the trailer and TV the Back-up assist stopped working. Moral of the story: We set it up so we knew it worked, but we don’t rely on it. (We just followed the instructions on the card that came with it as total newbies last year) Good luck and I’ll be interested to see what solutions pop up
wvann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaDan View Post
We have a PP hitch connecting our Expedition and 25' International.

The PP hitch has a forward extension that does not match the hitches that Ford shows as examples of the setup of its Trailer Backup Assist.

Since there are very few 2018 Expeditions on the road, especially with the Pro Trailer Backup Assist, we have not been able to find a Ford dealer or anyone at Ford Support that has experience with this rig setup. Of all the Backup Assist internet setup videos we have watch, none shows the PP hitch.

We are hoping that someone in the forum can help us with our predicament.

Thanks
Your mirrors and the back up camera is all you should ever need.
Getting too reliant on too many gadgets could cause more frustrations and complications than you need.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have it on my F150. I use it for my small cargo trailer and it works wonderfully. Small trailers are actually harder to back up. But it doesn’t work well for the AS. I used to before I installed the Propride and it didn’t work very well since the marker would get obstructed easily. It was just easier to back up. I am getting better backing up every time I do it. It’s just a matter of practice. But I have heard that people that do use it with the PP put the sticker on the metal tank cover and do so vertically. I’ve not had a chance to try it, but I’ve read where it has been done.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
We use the dealer provided/installed Blue Ox on our 27' Serenity, pulled with a 2016 F-150 and the Backup Assist device. I just take this moment to comment on the Backup Assist. It works great, especially when I hear from behind -"ok, now back up straight from there." No working the steering wheel trying to back straight, just keep my hands off everything and use the feet. The Ford backs the trailer straight.

However, the Backup Assist does have trouble reading the checkerboard sticker, and I think it depends on the propane tank reflection. As someone mentioned, they stuck black tape on the cover. I'll try something similar.

But the other issue that may be interfering is the sticker location. After setting up the system per Ford instructions with the necessary dimensions, the sticker must be located no closer nor further than the prescribed measurement. But the propane tank cover interferes with the back end of the sticker, in essence covering part of it. Whether that makes it harder for the Assist, I don't know.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Your mirrors and the back up camera is all you should ever need.
Getting too reliant on too many gadgets could cause more frustrations and complications than you need.
Yeah and while were at it why don't we throw out speedometers, tire pressure monitors, GPS devices, cruise control, blind spot detection, backup sensors, electronic trailer brakes, etc. In fact, whats with using nice diesel tow vehicles. Why don't we just do like the Mennonites and pull our airstream with oxen.

Come on. The guy wants to use a very nice feature on his high end vehicle which he paid good money for. The ProPride hitch causes issues because of it's cantilevered hitch head which doesn't exist with a standard hitch.

I think he can still get it to function a little but it may have more limitations due to the ProPride hitch.

For people who haven't seen the Ford backup assist there are some really nice features. 360 degree cameras, trailer backup camera, automatic straight backing, and visuals to help with positioning the trailer when backing. Why not use a feature if it helps and reduces the time it takes to position your trailer properly.

Besides the Propride stinks when backing so might as well have a little aide to assist with the task.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Corona , California
My ProPride works just fine while backing. Once you figure it out, is easier than on the ball, IMHO.

All I use is a built-in backup camera on the Tacoma to find the hitch socket sometimes, but I usually just get out and look, out of habit.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Being too dependent on technology can be bad news when the batteries run out or the infrastructure goes out. How many people can travel and navigate without some form of GPS?
We can. The dogs can too.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yup. Welcome to a surprisingly small minority
Old 04-15-2018, 12:35 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. Welcome to a surprisingly small minority
The point is that the poster was seeking help in getting his trailer backup assist to work properly with a ProPride hitch. He didn't need luddites chiming in about how he doesn't need it and to just tough it out.

Maybe the poster actually finds it helpful and easier to use modern equipment to assist him. Nothing wrong with that.

I have driven combines and towed multiple travel trailers with boats on trailers behind those trailers. I have backed up a set of pups behind an international diesel working in loading docks and making city deliveries to small loading docks.

Yet I find the Ford backup assist system excellent. It is very accurate. It helps to avoid objects which are normally located in blind spots. There is nothing wrong with using this tech especially since it comes standard on the newer King Ranches, Platinums, and Limiteds.

The ProPride has it's drawbacks. It can't backup the same reverse arc as it takes going forward, due to the cantilevering hitch head. It also places the pivot point much farther behind the truck than a standard hitch when backing up. Backing the ProPride straight back is more difficult as the hitch head cantilevers and pushed the trailer at an angle even when the tow vehicle is moving straight back. This means to go straight back you actually have to slightly drive the tow vehicle backwards at a slight angle to the trailer angle.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Yeah and while were at it why don't we throw out speedometers, tire pressure monitors, GPS devices, cruise control, blind spot detection, backup sensors, electronic trailer brakes, etc. In fact, whats with using nice diesel tow vehicles. Why don't we just do like the Mennonites and pull our airstream with oxen.

Come on. The guy wants to use a very nice feature on his high end vehicle which he paid good money for. The ProPride hitch causes issues because of it's cantilevered hitch head which doesn't exist with a standard hitch.

I think he can still get it to function a little but it may have more limitations due to the ProPride hitch.

For people who haven't seen the Ford backup assist there are some really nice features. 360 degree cameras, trailer backup camera, automatic straight backing, and visuals to help with positioning the trailer when backing. Why not use a feature if it helps and reduces the time it takes to position your trailer properly.

Besides the Propride stinks when backing so might as well have a little aide to assist with the task.
Aren't you over the top a bit ?
Gadgets break, batteries run down etc. All of a sudden like it or not you got to do it without them and you forgot how. The trailer back up assist is one of the most useless items that came along lately. A gadget in search of a need.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Can you get rid of the knob? i don't want to lift my arm..
Old 04-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #19

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Gadgets break, batteries run down etc. All of a sudden like it or not you got to do it without them and you forgot how. The trailer back up assist is one of the most useless items that came along lately. A gadget in search of a need.
Speaking of over-the-top, if the only battery on which Ford's pro trailer backup system relies is dead, you're not going to be driving the truck. Except for the sticker that goes on the A-frame, it's all built into the truck. It's not necessary to have air conditioning in the truck, either, but I'm not giving that up because it's not a necessity.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
No, gadget is absolutely necessary. You obviously have never used the backup assist on a Ford F-250. It is a major convenience. The 360 camera lets you see completely around the vehicle, the trailer camera lets you see directly behind you, and the guide marks help with seeing exactly where you are placing the trailer.

It eliminates the blind spots. So if you have a big rock or small post on the passenger side next to the tow vehicle, you won't accidentally hit it and damage your running boards because the 360 camera will show the rock or post exactly where it is relative to the truck, even though it isn't visible in any mirror and may even be missed by a second spotter outside the truck.

It may not be necessary but it could save you from small accidents that might occasional occur. Just because you don't think you need it doesn't make it worthless for everyone.

I knew a guy who thought that backup sensors on his 250 were a waste of time and money. He thought that he could backup any truck just fine and never hit anything. One day he was coming home from the field, he pulled into the driveway and his 5 year old sons bike was laying in the way. He got mad shifted it into reverse and backed out quickly. What he didn't know was that his 5 year old son had saw his dad come home and he quickly ran onto the driveway behind the truck. The dad killed his 5 year old son that day. The man was my brother-in-law and the 5 year old was my nephew. If he had had backup sensors with warning beeps on that truck, he would have hit the brake and most likely saved his sons life. Now he never buys a truck with out them.