Old 04-16-2018, 05:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I have the BLISS system and backup sensors on my F150. Would never buy a truck without them. I don’t care how good mirrors are people will miss things. Those sensors have saved me a number of times already while backing in parking lots and driving on freeways. It is an extra safety measure that is worth every penny. In fact I could see them being a standard safety feature like airbags.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Speaking of over-the-top, if the only battery on which Ford's pro trailer backup system relies is dead, you're not going to be driving the truck. Except for the sticker that goes on the A-frame, it's all built into the truck. It's not necessary to have air conditioning in the truck, either, but I'm not giving that up because it's not a necessity.
My wife says she is NOT giving up the heated/cooled seats. Me, I love the heated steering wheel.............

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
No, gadget is absolutely necessary. You obviously have never used the backup assist on a Ford F-250. It is a major convenience. The 360 camera lets you see completely around the vehicle, the trailer camera lets you see directly behind you, and the guide marks help with seeing exactly where you are placing the trailer.

It eliminates the blind spots. So if you have a big rock or small post on the passenger side next to the tow vehicle, you won't accidentally hit it and damage your running boards because the 360 camera will show the rock or post exactly where it is relative to the truck, even though it isn't visible in any mirror and may even be missed by a second spotter outside the truck.

It may not be necessary but it could save you from small accidents that might occasional occur. Just because you don't think you need it doesn't make it worthless for everyone.

I knew a guy who thought that backup sensors on his 250 were a waste of time and money. He thought that he could backup any truck just fine and never hit anything. One day he was coming home from the field, he pulled into the driveway and his 5 year old sons bike was laying in the way. He got mad shifted it into reverse and backed out quickly. What he didn't know was that his 5 year old son had saw his dad come home and he quickly ran onto the driveway behind the truck. The dad killed his 5 year old son that day. The man was my brother-in-law and the 5 year old was my nephew. If he had had backup sensors with warning beeps on that truck, he would have hit the brake and most likely saved his sons life. Now he never buys a truck with out them.
You guys need to stop hyperventilating before you faint. Your metaphors are so far out I can't believe grown man responding this way. Comparing the need for air conditioning and citing the tragic death of a child to counter my simple comment regarding the actual need for this trailer back up assist feature is over the top.
I have many years of experience in backing up semis from my younger days. And I will repeat again no gadget can replace doing it the common sense way. Before I back my trailer anywhere with a degree of difficulty, I get out asses the area in all aspects plan out the approach and follow through using my mirrors. If its a difficult spot I might get out twice more to check progress. This is how pros do it. Even if I would have gotten a truck with the trailer assist feature I wouldn't be using it. I would continue to rely on my skill. When ordering my 2017 F-250 I purposefully did not choose that option.
If you train yourself to rely on a crutch you will never acquire the skill or will gradually lose it if you have it.
With all that said anyone desiring this feature by all means go for it knock yourself out. I was simply attempting to inject a bit of common sense approach to this subject.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
You guys need to stop hyperventilating before you faint. Your metaphors are so far out I can't believe grown man responding this way. Comparing the need for air conditioning and citing the tragic death of a child to counter my simple comment regarding the actual need for this trailer back up assist feature is over the top.
I have many years of experience in backing up semis from my younger days. And I will repeat again no gadget can replace doing it the common sense way. Before I back my trailer anywhere with a degree of difficulty, I get out asses the area in all aspects plan out the approach and follow through using my mirrors. If its a difficult spot I might get out twice more to check progress. This is how pros do it. Even if I would have gotten a truck with the trailer assist feature I wouldn't be using it. I would continue to rely on my skill. When ordering my 2017 F-250 I purposefully did not choose that option.
If you train yourself to rely on a crutch you will never acquire the skill or will gradually lose it if you have it.
With all that said anyone desiring this feature by all means go for it knock yourself out. I was simply attempting to inject a bit of common sense approach to this subject.
No one is stoping you from doing what you want. But read the original post. The poster was wanting help with setting up his pro backup assist. He wasn't asking for a bunch of Luddites to criticize him or tell him that he isn't doing it right if he uses a gadget.

You have your opinion and others have theirs regarding electronic aids. But he wasn't asking for comments about not using the tech. He was asking for help with setting up the tech with a non-standard hitch setup.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #25
meandher

2019 30' Classic
Miami , Florida
Quote:
No one is stoping you from doing what you want. But read the original post. The poster was wanting help with setting up his pro backup assist. He wasn't asking for a bunch of Luddites to criticize him or tell him that he isn't doing it right if he uses a gadget.

You have your opinion and others have theirs regarding electronic aids. But he wasn't asking for comments about not using the tech. He was asking for help with setting up the tech with a non-standard hitch setup.
I very much agree with your comments,
I am a wannabe and would like a Hensley hitch,
And since I have no experience at all I would love having the assist available.
But I plan to practice without it as well
As I will at first camp at a full hookup site but do it without using them.
I want to learn how to not depend on anything,but since I am rather lazy than tired, I want any gadget that can make my life easier.
To repeat the ordinal question does anybody know how to work the assist with any of the quality hitches?
If so we would appreciate the help
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Chico , California
We just bought a 2018 F-150 FX4 as our new tow vehicle. 3.375 inches taller than the 2WD Tundra it replaced at the hitch receiver. Hasn't been hitched to our 2005 19' Bambi yet. One reason is that with a standard 12 inch hitch shank, the tailgate will not clear the TT jack tube when you open it. Any special ideas or sources for 14 inch shanks with at least 6 inches of drop?
richcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Folks, it's not a fair assumption that the OP is incapable of backing his trailer without the Ford fiddly thing. He may just want to make the gadget work. I confess that I've thought about setting it up on my truck just for fun, but I haven't felt like it was worth the investment of time yet (after over a year with the truck).

I suspect that the issue is all about the PP hitch and not about the newness of the new Expedition, because there shouldn't be anything unique about it except Ford's internal configuration for things like the angle of the camera and the distance from the rear axle to the end of the receiver, etc.
Agreed, amazed how many people want to say how good they are at backing, but offer ZERO constructive help. UGH. I for one can back anything, anywhere...all the more reason to see how the Ford assist works.
Centerville, OH
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Chico , California
Talking

Update on hitching a 2005 19' Bambi to a 2018 F-150 FX4 SuperCrew---The perfect shank for our 6K Equalizer hitch turned out to have 10" length (hole to hole) by 7 1/4" drop. Before equalization, the 4X4 Ford squatted a little over 1.5" more than the 4X2 2007 Tundra it replaced.

Over the weekend I set up the Pro Trailer Backup Assist feature in about an hour. It turns out to be intuitive, accurate and fun to use. We used it to park our TT for the first time today. On a standard AS coupler yoke, the target sticker that the truck's camera needs to see in order to calibrate the system must be placed on the right yoke bar. And there is just enough room for it in front of the full size metal propane tank cowl.

My wife serves as spotter for our TT maneuvering and parking. I'm for anything that makes her job faster and easier! The new feature falls into the same category as backup cameras, navigation systems and integrated trailer brake controllers: Extras I Would Rather Not Do Without.
richcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I managed to get it setup on a new 2018 Ford F-250 King Ranch Diesel truck using a ProPride Hitch towing the Airstream International Serenity 27FB.

I had to fudge the measurements a little and I mounted the Ford Sticker on the left, top frame just in front of the propane compartment. It sits a few inches farther back than recommended but the software still located the sticker and set everything up. I am also using the backup camera kit that is supplied by Ford with the F-250 for the back of the trailer.

It works real slick. You can just pop on the backup assist and switch between the trailer reversing camera and the rear aux camera on the back of the trailer. This allows you to see both sides of the trailer clearly on the camera and when you switch cameras it allows you to see the rear of the trailer.

It would be really slick if Ford could integrate these views so that you could get a Birds-eye 360 view with the trailer, just like it does for the truck when not towing a trailer.

I don't know if Ford's backup assist will be able to reverse straight back automatically like it would with a conventional hitch as the pro-ride hitch design won't allow a trailer to go straight back due to the cantilevering head. In order to back straight you actually have to arc the truck one way then the other way as the hitch head doesn't go straight back, it flip flops one way or the other when backing. I am sure Ford doesn't account for this as it is expecting a conventional hitch response. However everything else seems to work well. I haven't tried the automatic straight backup assist yet but I will test in the near future.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:26 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Lightbulb An RV Dream comes true!

Very good news!!!

We had given up! Please, kindly, post photos showing the location of your checkerboard target sticker.

It will be very helpful to know the measurement input data you used with your setup.

You have made us very hopeful that we will get our PP to work with our 2018 Expedition.

Our input data might end up being different, however, your photos and measurements will give us an educated running start.

Thank you very much. We hope we will be able to share in success.
DaytonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:09 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I managed to get it setup on a new 2018 Ford F-250 King Ranch Diesel truck using a ProPride Hitch towing the Airstream International Serenity 27FB.

I had to fudge the measurements a little and I mounted the Ford Sticker on the left, top frame just in front of the propane compartment. It sits a few inches farther back than recommended but the software still located the sticker and set everything up. I am also using the backup camera kit that is supplied by Ford with the F-250 for the back of the trailer.

It works real slick. You can just pop on the backup assist and switch between the trailer reversing camera and the rear aux camera on the back of the trailer. This allows you to see both sides of the trailer clearly on the camera and when you switch cameras it allows you to see the rear of the trailer.

It would be really slick if Ford could integrate these views so that you could get a Birds-eye 360 view with the trailer, just like it does for the truck when not towing a trailer.

I don't know if Ford's backup assist will be able to reverse straight back automatically like it would with a conventional hitch as the pro-ride hitch design won't allow a trailer to go straight back due to the cantilevering head. In order to back straight you actually have to arc the truck one way then the other way as the hitch head doesn't go straight back, it flip flops one way or the other when backing. I am sure Ford doesn't account for this as it is expecting a conventional hitch response. However everything else seems to work well. I haven't tried the automatic straight backup assist yet but I will test in the near future.
Theoretically...and I emphasize theoretically....it shouldn't make any difference since I ASSUME the lines on the checkerboard dictate the angle between the TV and AS. Although the whole board will move off-center with respect to the receiver (center of TV), the angle between the two is what matters. We don't have any idea of the logic algorithm...so....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote