Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
triple axle sway control?

Greetings.

I have had my 1991 34' AS out 1X on a short 250M round trip and had a great time with no problems. It came with a reese WD hitch w/ friction sway control. The PO told me that since I had a triple axel AS the sway contol was unnecessary. Now, I have read several posts about needing double cam, Hensley, or PropPride type hitches. Does the triple axel feature of my AS negate having these more sophisticated (expensive) alternatives?
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanwave View Post
Greetings.

I have had my 1991 34' AS out 1X on a short 250M round trip and had a great time with no problems. It came with a reese WD hitch w/ friction sway control. The PO told me that since I had a triple axel AS the sway contol was unnecessary. Now, I have read several posts about needing double cam, Hensley, or PropPride type hitches. Does the triple axel feature of my AS negate having these more sophisticated (expensive) alternatives?
To a minor degree, yes.

To a major significant degree, no.

A torsion type sway control is always the best, such as the Reese dual cam, since it knows when the trailer is in a straight line.

Friction type sway controls, offer resistance, period. That type has no idea if the trailer is in a turn or going straight down the road.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Thanks Andy. It was one of your posts that raised the issue in my mind. Is the reese dual cam better for my rig then than the PP3 or Hensley?

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
To a minor degree, yes.

A torsion type sway control is always the best, such as the Reese dual cam, since it knows when the trailer is in a straight line.

Friction type sway controls, offer resistance, period. That type has no idea if the trailer is in a turn or going straight down the road.

Andy
Old 07-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Another question - if the reese dual cam is a good solution can I just purchase the dual cam sway parts and use the rest of the reese set I have? Its a 800/10,000 square bar Reese w/ a V5 rating

Tim

Quote:
To a minor degree, yes.

Andy
Old 07-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Another question - if the reese dual cam is a good solution can I just purchase the dual cam sway parts and use the rest of the reese set I have? Its a 800/10,000 square bar Reese w/ a V5 rating

Tim
Tim.

Yes, and that will save some money as well.

Please make a post after the fact, so that others can learn from your experiences.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
I've had the Reese and now have a Hensley. The difference is amazing. Would never go back.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Thanks Andy. It was one of your posts that raised the issue in my mind. Is the reese dual cam better for my rig then than the PP3 or Hensley?

Tim
Quote:
Tim.

Yes, and that will save some money as well.

Please make a post after the fact, so that others can learn from your experiences.

Andy

I'd like to hear something other than anecdotal evidence. Would you care to elaborate, Andy? While the dual-cam is the best product they make it is in NO WAY (other than price) better than a Hensley or ProPride hitch. It may be good enough for some but the stability of towing a 34' Airstream cannot be made any better than a PROJECTED PIVOT POINT vs. 10,000# pivoting at a distance behind the rear axle and inducing a steering torque into the tow vehicle. It just doesn't make any sense, from an engineering standpoint, if you understand the loads in towing. By the way, I'm OPEN for ANY logical statement and proof, as to why it is "better", you may wish to offer.

And, don't think of this as me arguing the point. I'm just pointing it out for the OP who should understand the total picture before someone throws out that the Reese Dual-Cam is "better."

Do you think maybe people here that have used BOTH the dual-cam AND an Arrow or ProPride 3P can provide a more complete answer?

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote