Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2017, 05:32 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Slow mover is correcg. Common sense and paying attention to signs are absolutly necessary. Being in a hurry is dangerous.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I won't call names in this stupid act but I will always give truck drivers rite of way as they are working for pay, I'm only traveling for one reason or other but remember all most every thing we use comes by truck or train so give them rite of way, spec. trains as I have seen and involved in to many deaths from stupid acts. Another thing it affects train crews and truck drivers that were involved in fatalities. So use sway control and drive defensive.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Equally fun in the same construction zone is to be the "other guy" in this case. Unfortunately that's not terribly uncommon. Having some guy named Bob zooming past you at barely sub-sonic speeds when the barrier is 25' up the road .... yup... it happens. Mirrors are a good thing. Not all the hazards are in front of you ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I won't call names in this stupid act but I will always give truck drivers rite of way as they are working for pay, I'm only traveling for one reason or other but remember all most every thing we use comes by truck or train so give them rite of way, spec. trains as I have seen and involved in to many deaths from stupid acts. Another thing it affects train crews and truck drivers that were involved in fatalities. So use sway control and drive defensive.
We all pay to use the roads, no one is more entitled than anyone else. Goods come by truck but the workers who make them commute by car, etc.

I do wish people would quit passing every 5 seconds. Trucks, cars, semis, we all do it and it's ridiculous. 90 percent of what I read on here could be avoided by just staying in one lane.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #45
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
-- snip -- We all pay to use the roads -- snip -- 90 percent of what I read on here could be avoided by just staying in one lane.
Pay? Evidently not everyone. I thought trucks paid a fee when they travel on state roads, but don't purchase fuel in the state. CA increases the fuel tax today. The news networks are running interviews on the impact to drivers. A trucker said he buys fuel before he enters and after he leaves CA.

Not changing lanes? I see this post content often and understand the value of the intent. However, changing lanes with care is often a safe action. Getting away from the merge lane reduces conflict. In a multi-lane section, the lane to left or right may well have fewer vehicles or a longer distance to the next vehicle. Getting away from the truck only lanes leaves them more room to transition. An early lane change sets up for next transition. Passing a slow truck on a climb gives a following truck more room to climb at a consistent rate. It also moves you away from the crowd. Every 5 seconds, just in front of another vehicle, and at the last second .... not such a good idea.

Always something to consider. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
That's true but there's no need for as much lane changing as I see. It's neurotic. I think people learn it in drivers ed and think they have to do it all the time. They get crazy with that little blinker lever. Left, right, then left again. Stop it!!!!

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Some of the issue, as I see it, is that most 'ordinary' drivers have no idea how different towing a large trailer is from just driving the tow vehicle by itself. If they try to drive a full up rig using their 'usual and customary' driving habits, it will easily lead to disaster.

For one, the ability to accelerate and brake is very different. Maneuvering is a whole lot different, even with all the anti-sway and Weight Distribution hardware bells and whistles. Clearances become tighter, and interactions with other vehicles become more touchy.

The rollover that's being beat to death was preventable at several points, and, from what I understand of the scenario described, is a direct result of 'pilot error' in that the driver of the TV and AS got in too darn big a hurry, tried to drive like he was NOT towing an AS, and lost it because of haste.

Rule #1 of towing (and aviation for that matter) is to not fall prey to "Gotta-get-there-itis", where being in a hurry to get somewhere gets you rolled into a ball with no way out... Trying to beat a big truck to a merge point is not a good idea, particularly in this case. The big rigs are hard to maneuver and brake as well. This should be a consideration no matter if you are towing a rig, or just driving a single vehicle. Calm down, fall in behind, and relax--beating the big guys to the next merge point of full stop is not part of a contest--nor should it be. Defensive, calm driving at a steady pace is the way to survive the experience.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
That's true but there's no need for as much lane changing as I see. It's neurotic. I think people learn it in drivers ed and think they have to do it all the time. They get crazy with that little blinker lever. Left, right, then left again. Stop it!!!!

Lol, its like watching a string of ants carrying a catch of food back to the colony.. they make me laugh a lot and they make me cuss sometimes.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Batesville , Mississippi
Thanks to all of you for your input\replies. Today I had installed an Part# (90-00-1200) Equal-i-zer hitch offers a 1,200 lb. maximum tongue weight and a 12,000 lb. maximum trailer weight. Really only required 10,000 lbs. hitch, but man what a difference the Equal-i-zer Hitch made, Tows\Hauls a lot Better, and no sway! Top End Hitch made a Big Difference!
csondt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
A little off subject of sway devise needed or not but thread took off about being in big hurry. I will add a little slogan that railroads had a few years ago, LOSE A MINUTE SAVE A LIFE. this was used in crossing safety drive.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #51
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, well since we really are having fun tossing around blame, I'll add another actor into this.

I'm driving along and yup, there are signs "construction 10 miles ahead". On they go and eventually they start talking about lane closed ahead. Get to the magic designated point. There's no lane closure. There's not a piece of construction gear in sight.. Chug down the road another ten or 20 miles and the exact same process repeats. Again no closure, nothing. This repeats two more times. By the next one after that, almost nobody is paying any attention to anything at all. They have been "trained" that the signs mean nothing at all ....

As one might guess, at some point, indeed there is a lane restriction. I'm in the proper lane about 30 feet from the restriction barrier crawling along and here comes some schmuck barely sub sonic around me. He can't see the barrier since the trailer is blocking his view around the curve......

I wish I could say this was something I've only seen once or twice ....

Bob
Old 11-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #52
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
-- snip -- They have been "trained" that the signs mean nothing at all .... -- snip --
Bob - you embellish a bit, but your point is still valid. Add to that poor lane designation .... two lanes left and one lane right = one time the middle lane can go either way and the next time only the right lane can exit. Then there is the constant addition/deletion of lanes that creates pinch points and the need to constantly merge. Then we have the new round-abouts with poor signage that are great if you are familiar and horrible for the first timer. Yes, the highway folks have a lot to answer for as they lean on their shovels. Absolute worst is the road work that lasts for years. Run the crews 24/7 and get it done.

Not sure this rant is done. Please feel free to carry on. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #53
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The observation made elsewhere that it's always a combination of factors applies here as well. There are a number of issues in almost any real accident. Sorting them all out requires a *lot* of careful digging. Relying just on some guy named Bob who *might* improve the story a bit .... not always a good idea.

Now, about that fish that I almost caught ....

Bob
Old 11-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #54

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Why does Paul Harvey keep coming to mind?
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

^
?

'cuz everyone has their own story.

Bob
Old 11-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #56

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Paul Harvey used to have a radio show called, "and now for the rest of the story."
It was very influential in teaching me that people can talk and then there's the rest of the story.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:48 AM   #57
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
We've never used either WD or sway control towing our 1971 Tradewind w/ our 1996 F250; this is year 7 and prob 25k miles. Works for Barbie and I w/o any problems. Others may not like this. Their choice. I will saw we have a very short hitch on the truck so the pivot point is as far forward as it can go; this makes it tow better.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
LOS ANGELES , California
Going down hill around curves can suddenly create a problem with anti sway. Without it, the tail wagging the dog, can be very scary and down right dangerous to your health. Avoid the diaper change, the hospital, or even worse. Protect yourself.
coveredwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #59
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
45,000+ miles without sway control with 0 problems. TV has built-in anti sway, but has never engaged. 20' FC and F150.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I say it depends on the length of the trailer, how fast a person drives, and how enjoyable a person wants driving to be.

I like to pull my 31’ with one hand at 70 mph without wearing myself out. For that, I NEED effective sway control. #VariablesMatter

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote