Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
TMT
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Jacksonville , Florida
Towing a '66 Overlander

I thought I'd ask the most knowledgeable folks about towing - our own forum.

I have a '66 Overlander almost ready to get on the road. I tow with a 2013 Ford Expedition equipped with the Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package.

Do I need hitch/sway equipment? And if so, what should I get?

I'm not too knowledgeable about all this, the type, the stiffness, all this stuff I read. And I'd rather hear it from ya'll than the sales person….

I know there are a lot of different opinions on brands, but please, offer all suggestions.

Thanks!
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1964 26' Overlander
1954 29' Liner
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I kept mine pretty simple, I have a camco 600lb hitch/weight distribution system. Cost about $275 on Amazon. I set it up myself in about 45 mins. I tow a 1964 Overlander with a 2013 Honda Ridgeline. No anti sway is necessary the trailer tails perfectly behind
57BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Just wrote a recommendation on another Overlander towing thread...
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
TMT
2 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Thanks. I read that post. I didn't know if what you tow with makes a difference in what you need. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

TMT,

As someone that has pulled a 1966 Overlander for 10+ years, I would suggest just a standard Draw Tite hitch with a sway bar attached. I pull with a Ford Excursion (basically a 3/4 ton) where you will be pulling with a Ford Expedition (basically a 1/2 ton). My guess, 800lbs bars should do you well regardless if you are running with a full tank of water up front (30gal. x 8.35lbs= 250lbs) or not, you might just need to go up another link on the chains since you're running with a 1/2 ton not a 3/4 ton. This will allow the rig to be flexible, yet still ride level. Be sure to understand setting up the head pitch when putting all this together since that is the key along with the bar size to a soft, yet level tow/trailer going down the road.

If you have not replaced the axles, I'm sure you need to do so based on the age alone. When replacing mine, I went with the stock 22.5 degree down angle with 7.00x15 bias ply tires which gives the trailer a great height and ride since it's a slightly stiffer side wall and a 29+ inch (uninflated) tire in height and you won;t have to worry about drop hitches, etc....

Hope this helps, if not, someone smarter than I will have to step in.

Enjoy,
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
TMT
2 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Yes, this is a big help. I appreciate all your knowledge. I love my Expedition. I thought the Excursion may be a tad large for my "non" towing days! Unfortunately there are more of those than cruising. Thanks for everything.