RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lacey , Washington
Tongue Wt & a WD/anti sway set up

My truck has a tongue wt of 640 lbs. The WD/anti sway set ups are heavy. The one I am looking at is 112 lbs. The AS bambi 22' has a hitch weight of 500 lbs. Does this mean then I will have 612 lbs (500 + 112) of weight on my truck's hitch/tongue? That is getting close to my truck's max. Thank you for any comments. Tom
Old 01-16-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Rancho Cucamonga , California
Good Day - I assume you are saying that your truck has a rating that allows for 612# of tongue weight and your AS has a tongue weight of 500#. Others factors you need to take into account would be the rated tow capability of your TV and the weight of the trailer. And include anything else you are likely to add. With this information there are some very smart people that watch these forums and will be able to give you some very accurate help. Proper setup is far more complicated than merely tongue weight. It's my personal opinion that having a little more TV than you need is far better than having slightly less and applying the highly prized band aids many people use. Please do your homework so you don't have the tail wagging the dog so to speak.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Look at the Andersen WDH for your Bambi. Only 60 lbs and great features. Bear in mind that the published tongue weight from Airstream is going to be much less than reality. Being close on tongue weights isnít nearly as concerning as over on payload or towing more weight than your vehicle is designed to handle.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #4

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I have a hard time supporting Andersen.

https://www.rvtravel.com/anderson843/
Old 01-17-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Most trucks have a higher hitch weight rating when using a WDH. For example, my GMC Denali 1500 has a maximum hitch weight of 700 lbs. with a weight carrying hitch, and 1,250 lbs. with a weight distribution hitch. Check your owner’s manual.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Old 01-17-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I have a hard time supporting Andersen.

https://www.rvtravel.com/anderson843/

I believe he learned his lesson. I donít excuse it, but wonít hold it against him forever
Old 01-17-2021, 06:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I started promoting the virtues of the Andersen hitch when it became clear to me there is a double standard when it comes to defacing Federal Monuments and property. The Andersen is a really nice performing hitch that is easy on the trailer and vehicle. They are sensitive to play and flex in the coupler and receiver. They are particularly effective trailers 27' and under.

The weight of the hitch unfortunately does add to tongue weight.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
What truck? Sounds low even for a 1/2 ton. As mentioned, different tongue weight ratings for WD or without WD. I think my 2500 the rating is 500 lbs without WD and 1000 lbs with WD.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:20 PM   #9
JEB
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Lisle , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
This is not universally accepted as true. According to eTrailer, ďThe weight of the weight distribution system does not need to be factored in as additional tongue weight. We've checked with our WD manufacturers and they have told us that the system becomes a part of the trailer hitch essentially so it does not need to be considered.Ē https://www.etrailer.com/question-345696.html
Old 01-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It depends on the intent of the question. From a physics perspective, most of the hitch does not contribute to sway stability so it would not be counted as trailer weight and not included in trailer tongue weight. It does contribute to overhung hitch yaw intertia so is included in oversteer stability considerations. Finally it does count as hitch tongue weight from the vehicle perspective.

The OP was asking relative to the vehicle so it counts.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #11
JEB
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Lisle , Illinois
Quote:
It depends on the intent of the question. From a physics perspective, most of the hitch does not contribute to sway stability so it would not be counted as trailer weight and not included in trailer tongue weight. It does contribute to overhung hitch yaw intertia so is included in oversteer stability considerations. Finally it does count as hitch tongue weight from the vehicle perspective.

The OP was asking relative to the vehicle so it counts.
I think you are dissembling. The OP asked about tongue weight. I agree that a WDH counts toward payload. Anything touching the truck counts toward payload. But it doesnít count toward determining whether you are exceeding the hitch rating.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
hmm, circle where I concealed disguised or misled. The center of gravity of the hitch is just south of the ball so it's a hard sell to describe that as cargo, which is placed within the vehicle boundary. It is also fully supported by the receiver so it directly acts on the receiver and mount and contributes to stresses on it and diminishes the receiver and the vehicle's available hitch capacity.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Not sure what TV you are using but I am not even sure you need a WD hitch. The Bambi is a really small and light trailer. WD hitches put a lot of strain on your TV and the trailer frame. My TV is a RAM 2500 and my hitch weight 950#. I don't use a WD hitch. I use a 17000# forged hitch and the quiet hitch attachment. The TV only drops about 1-2 inches but I use air bags on the TV to level it back out. Its easy to hook up and pulls great.

Good Luck
MC
Old 01-18-2021, 11:39 AM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Not sure what TV you are using but I am not even sure you need a WD hitch. The Bambi is a really small and light trailer. WD hitches put a lot of strain on your TV and the trailer frame. My TV is a RAM 2500 and my hitch weight 950#. I don't use a WD hitch. I use a 17000# forged hitch and the quiet hitch attachment. The TV only drops about 1-2 inches but I use air bags on the TV to level it back out. Its easy to hook up and pulls great.

Good Luck
MC
PLEASE refer to your signature, BEFORE you post & prove it.
That is one inane bit of advise.

Small light single axle AS's NEED proper weight balance and sway control, even more than the larger dual axle models.
You may not feel the sway but that don't mean it's not. 🥴AMHIK

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
Old 01-18-2021, 06:21 PM   #15
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Andersen

Quote:
I started promoting the virtues of the Andersen hitch when it became clear to me there is a double standard when it comes to defacing Federal Monuments and property. The Andersen is a really nice performing hitch that is easy on the trailer and vehicle. They are sensitive to play and flex in the coupler and receiver. They are particularly effective trailers 27' and under.

Thumbs up🤣👍
Old 01-18-2021, 06:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
As important to weight on hitch is your vehicles max payload.

Look at you max payload, then subtract tongue weight from max payload - add weight of occupants and ancillary objects in the vehicle with you and you may find you are overweight.

Weight distro hitches move the weight to the front axels, but still subtract from your vehicles max payload.
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 01-18-2021, 11:03 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lacey , Washington
Thanks Prettygood....so are you saying that if the published TW of an AS is listed as 500 lbs, that in reality the TW will be more? thanks. tom
Old 01-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post
Thanks Prettygood....so are you saying that if the published TW of an AS is listed as 500 lbs, that in reality the TW will be more? thanks. tom

Tom, 100%. The published tongue weight is always well below actual tongue weight once water, gear, food, other stuff is loaded.

Since I knew my tow vehicle was fine on total weight, but close to the limit on tongue weight, I bought a Sherline scale. If you fee you will be close and need to find the right balance, itís worth the $100 to really dial in your weights. Remember not to move too much behind the axle, that complicates the dynamics. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	479.3 KB
ID:	387220
Old 01-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
Thumbs up🤣👍
Hitch aside...
👎 Andersen is still a jerk.
Engineers are a tite bunch, they can do no rong, you will never win a disagreement. 😂
But we all are still allowed to have our own opinion.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F1442A4-217C-4078-9A6F-352B6A885C73_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	387222  

Tahawus
🌤
Old 01-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Take all the guess work out of it and weigh it yourself. I used this same method in the link below but I made the board 5 feet long. Mine weighed within 25# of the factory described weight. Although Prettygood has a nice scale. I might invest in one like that.

https://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webl...tongue-wt.html