Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
To Hensley or not to Hensley

Any advice on whether or not the Hensley Arrow hitch system is as good as they say it is and if it's worth $3000.

Hensley tells me it totally eliminates trailer sway.

If so, why doesn't everyone have one (realizing of course that $3000 is a lot of money).
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabud View Post
Any advice on whether or not the Hensley Arrow hitch system is as good as they say it is and if it's worth $3000.

If so, why doesn't everyone have one (realizing of course that $3000 is a lot of money).

Because:
  • denial is not a river in Egypt but most of us think it is
  • $3000 IS a lot of money and we all have at least 10 things we could use it for
  • we've never had a near catastrophic event that has scared us badly enough to move the Hensley to the top of the list
BTW - there is also a new product - the ProPride hitch - same developer as the Hensley, but with enough differences to make it independently copyrightable.

There is a thread that was started by 2Airishuman comparing the two http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

Hope that helps.

Paula
Old 02-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
If you plan to travel a lot and can afford it... go for it.

I ended up in better shape after long day driving and the stuff works.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Phenomenal TV & lightweight Airstream

Quote:
Any advice ...

If so, why doesn't everyone have one ...
I have no doubt that both the Hensley & ProPride products perform as advertised.

But my Reese Dual-Cam hitch has performed extremely well for me, and it is a lot easier to hitch up to than the $3k hitches.

What tow vehicle will you be using? That matters a lot with the size Airstream you have.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Houston , Texas
I noticed on ebay that a "Hensley dealer" was offering new Hensley hitches for around $2,500. While I purchased mine new, I would not hesitate to buy a used one. I have over 100k miles in 4 1/2 years and would not tow without it.

Do check out the new ProPride.
28totow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Because no one has given me one (anyone want to give me one? I'd totally use it )

Seriously, I would like to have one someday, just for peace of mind. It might become a more reasonable expense if we ever switch to a smaller tow vehicle. Having a safe and easy towing experience is pretty important for us. I've heard nothing but glowing reviews of the Hensley/PP hitches.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I cant afford one so that rules them out for sure. Other than that, I get the feeling that they may be difficult to hook up in un-level sites, as a boondocker that is a major consideration.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
To me, this Hensley/ProPride design is a leap forward in hitch design, similar to when pre-war solid-axle front suspensions were replaced by independent suspensions resulting in better and safer handling cars. The older system worked, especially in normal operation, but when a loss-of-control event happens suddenly, we are glad we have the new design.

Doug K
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
It does what it's supposed to do. You should also look at the Propride hitch, which some people like better. They are similar.

Quote:
I haven't found anyone who will dispute that.

Quote:
There is widespread agreement that the Hensley, Propride, and Pull Rite systems work better than the cam based or friction based systems.

Disagreement centers around whether the difference is important enough to be worth, say, $2000, which is the typical cost delta between a cam or friction system and any of the forward pivot systems.

Anecdotally, everyone who I've encountered who has used a Hensley or Propride hitch after having towed with a friction or cam based htich says that the difference is in fact worth it from a standpoint of convenience and safety.

There is no useful actuarial data or statistics on sway accidents. Andy has previously reported, at length, that based on his crash investigations, the common thread is a lack of weight distribution, sometimes combined with things that mask the symptoms of a heavy rear axle and light front axle (like automatic load levelers). Some people dispute these results. ::shrug:: I believe Andy's position is that we won't know what difference the Hensley and related hitches make until they've been on the market longer. Anecdotally, there are forum members who have been in sway-related crashes when using proper weight distribution and a cam or friction hitch, and there aren't any forum members who have been in sway-related crashes when towing with a Hensley.

I think there's widespread agreement that with a small, light trailer (Bambi) and a long, heavy truck with a short overhang from the rear axle to the hitch, sway isn't a big enough problem to warrant spending the $$$$. And there is, if not outright consensus, at least a widely held view that with a sufficiently large trailer it does become worthwhile.

I think it's money better spent than airbags.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
... I get the feeling that they may be difficult to hook up in un-level sites, as a boondocker that is a major consideration.
There is no problem to do so... the receiver can be easily aligned to the pin in such circumstances. You just need to adjust tilt, angle, and shift if needed...

But that makes sure something else to learn...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I bought an old one off of flea bay and rehabbed. Cost of the hitch/grease, new parts (bushings/special grease fittings etc...) I am approximately 25 - 30% the cost of a new one.
Works just as advertised.
Once you hook it up a few times it's really no big deal - just a learning curve like anything else.
I am using shorter wheel base vehicles and there was a difference before and after noticable when the big trucks come by - stable enough that my wife had no trouble driving.
If you decide you want a used one you could get an adjustable stinger from the Propride folks who make the Propride hitch.
I spoken to both the folks at HA and PP - they are top notch folks to deal with.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Adjust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin View Post
There is no problem to do so... the receiver can be easily aligned to the pin in such circumstances. You just need to adjust tilt, angle, and shift if needed...

But that makes sure something else to learn...
But I don't have to do that now.

Complete disclosure - I have never hitched up to a high-dollar hitch. But I have never read anything that makes me think it is as easy as my Reese hitch.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

I second the advice to check out the Propride. I have a Hensley and have compared side by side with Loudruffs Propride. There are likes and dislikes about both hitches but decide for Your self. They are equal in design in My estimation. If Loudruff pipes in and gives his 2cents worth all the better. I am far far less experienced than He at driving and can appreciate the Hensley but when a former Profesional driver is impressed at the handling difference and buys one (PRopride)after years of towing without that says something. Cost is a big factor but also a lifetime investment in safety.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I have towed a travel trailer for 17 years.

First a 2500 Lb GVW trailer with a Nissan Pathfinder and later with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I used a plain hitch with no weight distribution and no sway control ( I didn't know what either was). It scared the dickens out of me with sway several times especially with the Pathfinder. That was the biggest reason for going to the Grand Cherokee.

Second was a 6500 lb GVW trailer. It was towed for the first 3 years with the Jeep Grand Cherokee and later with a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram. The hitch was a Equal-i-zer brand hitch. There were only a couple sort of scary instances with the Jeep and none with the Dodge. However, I still could feel some sway from passing semis and cross wind.

Third and present is a 10,000 lb GVW trailer still being towed with the Dodge. The hitch is now a ProPride. Result so far is no noticeable sway at all. A much more comfortable and relaxing ride.

People here, who have not used the Hensley or ProPride, will tell you it is harder to hitch. That is not my experience at all. After a short learning curve, I can hitch/unhitch the ProPride in about 1/3 the time with less effort and dirt.

I can not tell you what is best for you. My reason for buying the ProPride ( I would have bought the Hensley if the ProPride was not available) was safety and comfort. I felt that since I spent a whole bunch of bucks on a trailer that I intend to have and enjoy for quite a while, why cut corners on the hitch?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
ProPride

The thread entitled "The unofficial pp users guide" covers all of this ground. We have towed with a ball, an EZ-Lift, Reese, and friction/sway bar type hitches, plus the Hensley. Once we felt that an expensive hitch was a waste of money. However, having tried all of the above we would never go back. We have the ProPride and it is by far the way to go if you have the $$$ to do it. Sometimes progress really is better. The ProPride was slightly easier to hook up to. The learning curve was short, and we feel we can hook up faster than other hitches we have had. Back into it til it goes clunk and snapping two cam overs is about as simple as it can get. Like mentioned above, it is hard to find anyone who has had one willing to give it up.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Disagreement centers around whether the difference is important enough to be worth, say, $2000, which is the typical cost delta between a cam or friction system and any of the forward pivot systems.

Anecdotally, everyone who I've encountered who has used a Hensley or Propride hitch after having towed with a friction or cam based htich says that the difference is in fact worth it from a standpoint of convenience and safety.
Hard to argue with such happy hitchers, really. Sometimes I wonder when we'll see the light and go for the real thing. I'm first to admit first price isn't a good criterion for safety, but my complete Equal-i-zer hitch cost me $2K less than a ProPride. Serious bucks, when my EQ has done such an outstanding job for over 35K miles.

Of course, it's not the good miles we'll remember when something goes seriously wrong. I read a neat mini-review from a convert from EQ to Propride today. Check it out, pretty balanced reporting, not all sunshine stuff but thoughtfully presented.

Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
ProPride

Our ProPride was about $2500 and Larry installed it himself in just a few hours. It included instructions that were very easily followed and understood. Sean at ProPride is available with a phone call anytime.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Unless you've actually towed with a Hensley it is hard, if not impossible, to appreciate the difference - and that difference is probably most noticeable with a tow vehicle that is approaching its towing capacities. The 60 day trial period gives you the chance to try it out and change your mind.

Hooking up does have some additional rules - once you know the dynamics of the hitch you will understand that the "rules" are commone sense and not a big deal - but your learning curve will teach you that they cannot be ignored - once you know them - follow them - hooking up is no harder than any other hitch.

As for the price? - we figure it as a good deal - after two conventional hitches we were thinking of getting a larger tow vehicle for our 19' Bambi - and opted to try out the 60 day trial period with a Hensley. It performed as advertised - and the final purchase price was a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a bigger vehicle.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I have the Hensley and while it's a good design and works as advertised it is not worth $3,000.00. If it were priced at say $1500.00 I would say your getting a good value for your money but at $3000.00 it is overpriced
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
In the last 3 1/2 years we have pulled Lucy with her Hensley over 50,000 miles.

Is it expensive? YES

Does it perform as advertised? YES

Is all sway totally eliminated? YES

Would I buy it again? YES

All of that being said, you should also research the new ProPride hitch system.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote