Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2022, 12:32 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
what happens if the brakes fail?
Cross 'em (for reasons stated above)
Complain to the manager about the bad advice.
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:42 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
KIRKLAND , WA
Cross!! In Washington State it is the law or at least was many years ago when I got ticket for not having crossed chains. It was a trailer with a forklift on it, not an RV, but that would not make a difference. And as others say it will cradle the tongue. My friend's large boat was saved when he forgot to secure the tongue to the ball and it bounced off on the freeway. The crossed chains caught it and he was able to pull over.
ATaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:25 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Cross them, of course.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
The only possibility of even the slightest effect on the operation of the breakaway switch is if he also incorrectly has the breakaway switch cable going through the chains and/or incorrectly hooking that cable to the same place as the chains. Even then would probably not make a noticeable difference.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
We cross our chains,

You should however, avoid twisting the chains in order to shorten them.
I'm guilty. Here's why.
First, you are correct in that twisting weakens the chain.
In my situation I'm currently using an Equalizer hitch and the chains are too long. I could remove the hooks and reposition them a few links farther back, or better yet, cut the link at the A-Frame and add a "Quick Link" threaded Link.
BUT I'm reconditioning a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch and I'd like to finish that before cutting any links in the safety chain. It has a different shank.

Airstream did not scrimp on their safety chains, so I feel I'm okay with the 360 twist for a while.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:05 PM   #26
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
MD

Take a look at a 5/16 double clevis grade 43 or 70 instead of the quick link.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bittner View Post
My AS dealer said despite what everyone says, he recommends to NOT cross tow chains as the emergency brake works better.
Thoughts?

It is illegal in many states, to not cross the chains. They are not emergency brakes.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
My dealer said he could dunk a basketball. Also false.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
LAKE STEVENS , Washington
In agreement

With so many topics that people seem divided on; safe towing capacity, traveling with propane on or off, weight distribution, tire lifespans, etc…., it’s refreshing to see one were we seem to all be on the same page.

As we all know, there’s been a surge in RV sales. Many of us have enjoyed appreciated values on our Airstreams as a result. One downside is you’re far more likely to come across AS sales people that don’t actually have RV/towing experience. Clearly, this sales person falls in that category. They’re trying to sound like the expert, but with bad information.

Plenty have covered the why, so I won’t repeat it. But: ALWAYS CROSS!!!!
baytowvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:19 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Winchester , CA
That's probably the same dealer who emphatically told me my two 6v 220ah batteries in series gave me 440ah of power.

Cross the chains. Some of the dealer folk are not the sharpest tools but think so since they are the "Dealer".
AS24247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I don't cross the chains on my ProPride. It would be meaningless. I wonder what Texas would do to me?
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:22 AM   #32

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I don't cross the chains on my ProPride. It would be meaningless. I wonder what Texas would do to me?

99 years in the electric chair…
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:01 PM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Backing up a bit .....

The break away cable is for just that, a situation where the trailer fully disconnects from the tow vehicle ( = breaks away ). That means the coupler has failed, the 7 pin has come loose *and* the chains are both broken. The trailer is trying to drive off on its own with no "supervision" from the tow vehicle. The brakes are then applied and the wheels do their best to lock up. This (hopefully) minimizes the distance the trailer spends roaming free on its own. You are already into major damage to the trailer at this point, the braking is as much to minimize damage to others as anything else.

You do not want the wheels to lock up if only the coupler has failed. That puts a pretty big load on the chains and might ( or might not) get them to come loose. It might (or might not) blow a tire. If the 7 pin cable is the proper length ( it might not be ) and the chains are crossed, you still would have brakes to *slowly* get things to the curb. Violent this or that is *not* what you want.

What's the "most likely" case here? Somebody didn't put the coupler latch down. The road gets rough and the trailer pitches up enough to come off the ball. Hopefully this is at low speed in the campground and no major damage is done.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:20 PM   #34

Las Vegas , Nevada
It's the law in Utah. Time to get a new dealer as your current guy is looking to either get you a big ticket or get you killed.
docron702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post

It gets noticed by TX LE. Depending on where you are, you may well get a ticky or lecture from a state trooper who works the grass fires from loose chains touching the pavement and wrecks from not crossing chains.

The crossing is meant for, and succeeds in preventing, the hitch from hitting the ground and sparking fires.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Backing up a bit .....

The break away cable is for just that, a situation where the trailer fully disconnects from the tow vehicle ( = breaks away ). That means the coupler has failed, the 7 pin has come loose *and* the chains are both broken.

You do not want the wheels to lock up if only the coupler has failed. That puts a pretty big load on the chains and might ( or might not) get them to come loose. It might (or might not) blow a tire. If the 7 pin cable is the proper length ( it might not be ) and the chains are crossed, you still would have brakes to *slowly* get things to the curb. Violent this or that is *not* what you want.

Bob

I'm startled so many don't understand this on here........... And argue.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:48 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
If “everyone” says to do it, there is usually a reason.

Long ago a distracted husband forgot to put set the ball lock on the trailer hitch. One good bump and the trailer popped off the ball and started wandering about on it’s own. On a three lane major highway crowded with cars. Crossed chains kept the trailer from digging into the roadway and an alert truck driver blocked our trailer from doing anything damaging to anyone else before the trailer was pulled off the roadway and the brakes employed. Aside from the initial panic and the retroflective self flagulation, nothing horrible happened.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:56 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Cross chains. Try to connect the brake cable to the frame of the truck, not the hitch.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:58 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Backing up a bit .....

The break away cable is for just that, a situation where the trailer fully disconnects from the tow vehicle ( = breaks away ). That means the coupler has failed, the 7 pin has come loose *and* the chains are both broken. The trailer is trying to drive off on its own with no "supervision" from the tow vehicle. The brakes are then applied and the wheels do their best to lock up. This (hopefully) minimizes the distance the trailer spends roaming free on its own. You are already into major damage to the trailer at this point, the braking is as much to minimize damage to others as anything else.

What's the "most likely" case here? Somebody didn't put the coupler latch down. The road gets rough and the trailer pitches up enough to come off the ball. Hopefully this is at low speed in the campground and no major damage is done.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
I'm startled so many don't understand this on here........... And argue.
No! You’re BOTH wrong. I’ve already explained why and perhaps you didn’t read it.

If the hitch becomes UN-done (either the latch fails, the ball fails, or the receiver-hitch-pin fails)…the trailer will become DEtached from the TV.
The trailer WILL now SWAY/FISH-TAIL because it’s attached LOOSELY to the TV via the chains.
With crossed-chains the trailer tongue will be held up/off the pavement.
If the brake-cable is sufficiently SHORT…the trailer-brakes WILL APPLY….thereby pulling the crossed-chains TAUT and preventing SWAY….and likely will prevent the Trailer and TV from becoming out-of-control and rolling-over and/or killing someone.

CROSS THE CHAINS! IT’S THE LAW!

and SHORTEN that brake cable (and throw away that coiled brake cable) so that IF the trailer disconnects the Trailer Brakes WILL APPLY!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:57 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
No! You’re BOTH wrong. I’ve already explained why and perhaps you didn’t read it.

If the hitch becomes UN-done (either the latch fails, the ball fails, or the receiver-hitch-pin fails)…the trailer will become DEtached from the TV.
The trailer WILL now SWAY/FISH-TAIL because it’s attached LOOSELY to the TV via the chains.
With crossed-chains the trailer tongue will be held up/off the pavement.
If the brake-cable is sufficiently SHORT…the trailer-brakes WILL APPLY….thereby pulling the crossed-chains TAUT and preventing SWAY….and likely will prevent the Trailer and TV from becoming out-of-control and rolling-over and/or killing someone.

CROSS THE CHAINS! IT’S THE LAW!

and SHORTEN that brake cable (and throw away that coiled brake cable) so that IF the trailer disconnects the Trailer Brakes WILL APPLY!

Yes, we cross chains.

And, no brake-away brakes are not for when its connected still, we simply don't agree. And thats just fine, too, I dont loose sleep over it.