Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2022, 08:04 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thinking about getting a ProPride

We are spending this spring getting Lucy ready for another great Airstream Adventure. We are replacing her OEM tongue jack with a new Husky Super Brute. We got a new LP gas regulator and feeder lines.

We are now considering replacing our 17 year old Hensley Arrow. It is still working fine, but is really getting very sad looking. We have repainted it twice over the years. The control head has been replaced twice under warranty. These replacements are rebuilt units, and were not brand new.

We are considering replacing the Hensley with a brand new ProPride. When we bought our Hensley in 2005, ProPride did not yet exist. We have always been satisfied with the performance of our Hensley.

I would appreciate some feedback on making the switch to ProPride.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:38 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Can't comment on the switch from Hensley to PP but if you're not dead set on buying new, you may consider checking around dealerships for a used ProPride. We walked into our local dealership and one was sitting on the floor. They took it in on trade. Paint looked almost brand new and still had original boxes and manual. Got it for less than half of new price.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have the HAHA but would rather have the Propride due to the improvements to the hitch (wider opening and shorter stinger).
One thing to keep in mind is the Propride stinger is very heavy due to it being adjustable. There is a lot of extra steel in the adjustable stinger. How do I know? I bought my HAHA used I converted a straight stinger to an adjustable stinger. I bought the steel pieces from Propride to do this about 12 years ago. (I don't think Sean sells these pieces anymore).
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Did two years extended travel in our previous rig, a 2017 30' FC+Ram 2500, with our ProPride. Towing was effortless, the PPP design works absolutely like it says it does. Hitching and unhitching takes some practice, as there is a learning curve due to the stinger design.

I found that painting the outline of the square receiver a very bright white helped a lot to visualize backing up. I also typically stuck a small orange sports cone on the end of the stinger for the same reason.

Leaving the stinger on the truck to go to dinner or WalMart is a bit problematic, you can do it, but it extends out from the truck a good bit. You also need to be reasonably strong as the stinger weighs quite a bit (45-50#?).

Sean provides simply outstanding customer service.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Just got a brand new ProPride I'll be installing in a couple of days. Loved the one that was on my old AS. Not sure if it would be worth the money to replace your Hensley if it is working fine. I know they are starting to experience some supplier issues and I'm glad I got mine before it was a problem.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Brian, we just made that switch. Our Hensley was 11 years old and we replaced the pins that held the bars annually. We let it go with the AS and bought a new 3P for the new AS. The 3P was an easy install except for the propane cover. Sean said move the jacks back another inch so that's what I did to get the clearance needed. The new ASs don't have the tray for the tanks so I added an aluminum strip on the frame with VHB tape to install the U bolts. I believe it is a smooth tight tow.

Jim
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I sold my fancy hitch and went back to my Reese duel cam…much happier
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Following. We purchased our AS around 6-7 years ago used with the HA from the previous owner, who looked after all maintenance on the trailer meticulously. We had to replace the control head last year as we noticed that it was cracked while doing a final once over before pulling out on vacation.

The replacement control head is fine, but is a refurb, so I expect we'll have to keep an eye out for the same failure in future.

I've been looking at the ProPride as well for a replacement next time ours fails.
WBCCI #1783, Region 2, Ontario Canada Unit
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:27 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Flushing , Michigan
I have had both, first a Hensley and then two different ProPride units. While both worked well, when we sold our unit with the Hensley, I decided on ProPride for its enhanced features/engineering and the Airstream dealer installed it.
We sold that Airstream and I purchased another ProPride to install myself on our vintage Airstream. The install went well and I really like the new style jacks.

Everyone cannot do this, however I live near the factory, so once I had it all installed, I took my unit to them to get a check and opinion on the installation. Brent suggested only a slight modification to where I had the jacks set, and said everything looked good. I consider that to be a testimonial to their instructions, both paper and video.

The ProPride service—before, during and after the sale—(I have dealt with both Sean and Brent) is without comparison IMHO.
steve46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve46 View Post

The ProPride service—before, during and after the sale—(I have dealt with both Sean and Brent) is without comparison IMHO.
Very few companies have this level of commitment to service. I contacted them right after the buyer of my GT said he wanted my old PP hitch and spoke with Eric. A couple of emails, a phone call and boom, I had my new PP in less than 5 days. Gave me his personal cell number in case I had difficulty during my installation. I know they are expensive, but what more could you ask for?
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:10 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
If it ain’t broke…..
Spend the money on something else. If you can’t buy anything, spend it on your local charity of choice.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:23 PM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaggs View Post
If it ain’t broke…..
Spend the money on something else. If you can’t buy anything, spend it on your local charity of choice.

No, the current Hensley is not broken, but I don't know how long I have before another hitch failure. Our original Hensley control head lasted for eight years under heavy use. The refurb unit lasted for four years under the same heavy use. We received and installed a second refurb unit that has now been in use for three years.

Both times that or Hensley Control Head failed, we were on extended trips far from home. The first failure was in Washington and the second was in Montana on the way to Alaska. Each time our trip was delayed for about ten days while we waited for a new control head to be shipped from Michigan. Each time was a major hassle. The "if it ain't broke" theory is not really applicable here. We are very heavy Airstream users. Over the last sixteen years, we have amassed 2,180 nights of Airstream camping.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-06-2022, 03:44 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
Brian, we just made that switch. Our Hensley was 11 years old and we replaced the pins that held the bars annually. We let it go with the AS and bought a new 3P for the new AS. The 3P was an easy install except for the propane cover. Sean said move the jacks back another inch so that's what I did to get the clearance needed. The new ASs don't have the tray for the tanks so I added an aluminum strip on the frame with VHB tape to install the U bolts. I believe it is a smooth tight tow.

Jim

Hi Jim, did the pins that you replaced show wear? Does the 3P have a similar design? I pulled annual maintenance on my Hensley and took the pins out just to find out they were wearing down. Hensley sent me new ones since I am the original owner with lifetime warranty. Seems like this design would not wear down the pins.

Brian
Powerrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Thinking about getting a ProPride

The Propride has a circular key, very thick, that retains the bars. The grease fittings are there just to add grease. I smeared the keys with grease when I installed the Propride and give it a good shot of EP grease at least yearly. No issues.

Propride, IMHO, is built a lot sturdier and is more durable that the HAHA design. It did not require drilling holes for the struts, dees not use shear bolts, and has no issues with the yoke slipping when it’s properly torqued.

I did look at both designs when I determined that the Husky brand hitch I got with the Airstream tried to kill me…yeah, it costs money, but the lack of a white knuckle situation is priceless to me.

Propride customer service and construction is superior in my opinion. The adjustable stinger is a major convenience as well.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
No, the current Hensley is not broken, but I don't know how long I have before another hitch failure. Our original Hensley control head lasted for eight years under heavy use. The refurb unit lasted for four years under the same heavy use. We received and installed a second refurb unit that has now been in use for three years.

Both times that our Hensley Control Head failed, we were on extended trips far from home. The first failure was in Washington and the second was in Montana on the way to Alaska. Each time our trip was delayed for about ten days while we waited for a new control head to be shipped from Michigan. Each time was a major hassle. The "if it ain't broke" theory is not really applicable here. We are very heavy Airstream users. Over the last sixteen years, we have amassed 2,180 nights of Airstream camping.

Brian

Can you elaborate what a hitch failure looks like. Thanks
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:59 PM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post

On the failure in Washington, the retention ring broke and all of the bearings fell out of the control head and on to the ground. On the failure in Montana, the control heard locked to one side. A piece inside the head had broken.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-06-2022, 05:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
How's this?

Now granted, this is an almost 20 year old hitch, rebuilt in 2011, sandblasted, painted and completely refurbished. Weld failure. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210802_062251.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	414085

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Yes,.they were worn considerably. I never realized they wod.replace.the pins.under warranty although I had a lifetime warranty. The 3P doesn't have that same set up. It has a bolt.on plate at the bottom holding the bar in place with a small insert poece.that keeps the bar up where it is supposed to be. I don't have a full year with the 3P yet so nit sure about wear. I will inspect everything this fall. We're on a two month trip currently so it's getting a good work out. I have re torqued everything and added grease to the bars before we left on this trip.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
Yes,.they were worn considerably. I never realized they wod.replace.the pins.under warranty although I had a lifetime warranty. The 3P doesn't have that same set up. It has a bolt.on plate at the bottom holding the bar in place with a small insert poece.that keeps the bar up where it is supposed to be. I don't have a full year with the 3P yet so nit sure about wear. I will inspect everything this fall. We're on a two month trip currently so it's getting a good work out. I have re torqued everything and added grease to the bars before we left on this trip.
I found somewhat of a fix for the rapid retaining pin wear. The machining of the slot in the spring bar is not smooth. Take a small flat file and run it through the slot to remove burrs. In addition, slightly round the horizontal edges of the slot. Not a lot, but they are sharp. Makes the pin life at least 10x.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
The one experience I have had with Hensley was one of the jacks became a problem adjusting it. I called Hensley, they sent out a replacement, charged my credit card for the cost of it, I paid postage back and forth, when I returned the broken jack they credited my card for the original charge. I received the part in several days. This topic has been helpful, I now know where to look for some issues.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote