Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #681
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Smile Recent order

Ordered it on Wednesday, August 7. Order acknowledged the very same day. Had a typo in my e-mail address that Sean fixed promptly. Part of the order was drop shipped from CA manufacturer (tongue weight scale) it arrived yesterday August 8.

Rest of order (hitch and extension cable/chain set) will be here on my doorstep in Southern California on August 13 according to UPS.

Sean has been patient and helpful throughout the entire process, answering ALL my questions and concerns very promptly, usually within 24 hours.

He has also provided access to the electronic version of the assembly instructions so I can read them before the heavy hardware arrives.

Never had better customer service from any vendor, period.

I'm an engineer, so understanding the design and operation of this hitch setup was essential before spending the money. Based on my previous towing experience with this rig, the 3p hitch should make a heck of a difference.

Admittedly I got no real sway with the cheap load distribution hitch on the trailer (with absolutely NO sway control), but keep in mind I was going mostly uphill on a windless day when I moved it the first time for only 90 miles. My son's method of avoiding trailer sway (it's his Airstream) was to have fast youthful reflexes, and dial the Tekonsa Prodigy 2 brake controller up to a moderately aggressive braking curve. I'm a bit older and slower, and don't appreciate the white knuckle ride possibility.

Yes, it is not cheap, but based on all I have read, I'll go for stability and safety. Sean appears to have systems in stock, and the 3p with 1000 lb bars has shipped really quick.

Now I get to do the heavy lifting to install it. A word of advice--read the directions TWICE before installing it. It is not complicated, but MUST be done correctly to get it fitted properly. Skipping a step is NOT a good idea.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #682
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks!

Got my notification moments ago!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #683
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
As you might recall, my dealer installed my ProPride as I wasn't sure I was mechanically up for the challenge. This week as a fellow camper (Hensley user) was admiring the PP, I noticed something I hadn't before. First pic: head in view of yoke from coupler:

Might be hard to see in that pic, but the left side of the yoke is much closer to the a-frame than the right side.

Next 2 pics are actual measurements from the same spot on the yoke on each side to the a-frame:

LEFT:

RIGHT:

About a 1.25" difference. Sent pics to Sean - he says "Align the frame bracket so that the tail of the yoke is directly behind the tongue jack and running down the centerline of the trailer."

I've looked at that section of the installation manual and (for reasons that explain why I had the dealer do this) can not see what I'm suppose to do to make this happen. Sean assures me those 250 ft lb bolts don't have to be touched to do this. Would any fellow PP owners be able to help with some SIMPLE and SPECIFIC instructions? I'm willing to try but would like to have a bit of a clue before unbolting stuff :-)
First - thanks to JDnBeastlet and Pahaska for your advice on how to fix this. Easy as pie. I did it last week but didn't take the trailer out until this morning to head to the tire shop.

On the same roads I've always traveled, the ride was noticeably smoother - specifically almost free of porpoising which has plagued me since day 1. Is this psychological or is there some science behind the idea that straightening this piece of the hitch assembly would actually reduce porpoising - and if so, why?

Thanks - I was practically giddy the ride was so smooth!!! I'm going to update the Michelin thread as well because things got even better after that!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #684
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
SteveSueMac, I saw your post about the difference in the distance to the frame on the R and L and measured ours. Sure enough, it it not equal. I'm hoping that once that is centered and we properly adjust the WD bars and stringer height that our ride will be more stable. THANKS!
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #685
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
SteveSueMac, I saw your post about the difference in the distance to the frame on the R and L and measured ours. Sure enough, it it not equal. I'm hoping that once that is centered and we properly adjust the WD bars and stringer height that our ride will be more stable. THANKS!
That's great. If you haven't, I would definitely recommend a call to Sean to review your installation and any problems/questions you're having. If found that 94.62% of my problems (not that exact really) have been due to either my misunderstanding something, my having missed something in the manual or an installation issue which I had no part in. Once those are sorted - I've had a simple time hitching & unhitching and the towing experience has been true peace of mind. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #686
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Smile Hitch arrived 8/13/2013 as promised..

Four incredibly well-packed boxes--some right at the limit of what this OM can lift. 230 pounds of steel and packing material--the WD bars were the lightest package! Minor missing cardboard on the bottom edge of one box, but contents intact--probably got munched by a sort conveyor somewhere in the system.

Now I get to read the instructions again and gather the needed big tools to install this setup.

Will post any unusual situations as I can...no web access at the trailer storage site.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #687
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
I just ordered my second ProPride hitch today. In addition to having a ProPride, I have two Hensley Arrows but am not hassling with them any more...no more orange for me. After dealing with the lack of support from Hensley and seeing/installing/using the ProPride 3P, it was a no-brainer. Admittedly, the Hensley was King in its day...but its day has come and gone as far as I am concerned.

All thing being equal and already having the Hensleys, I would have used one but after buying a new TV with a considerably higher receiver ('13 Suburban 2500), the Hensley has been rendered useless to me and apparently, there is nothing Hensley can or will do to provide me with a solution. I considered a ProPride-built HA adjustable "stinger" but they are on back-order....maybe a blessing in disguise and therefore, I'm moving on.

I doctored up the Hensley in preparation for use before I learned of my inability to use it with my TV.

I blasted, powder-coated and reconditioned all components...it looks new for all practical purposes, but technically, its still inferior even if a PP Hitch Bar was currently available.

HA - Gimpy, scabbed together and prone to distortion/cracks.

PP - Solid, robust, clean, uniform angles and less prone to distortion due to steeper angles.

HA...picture speaks for itself...including quality of welds.

PP -uniform/machined taper...steeper angle/less prone to wedging.

I like the ability to dial in the PP Hitch Bars....

Being a "tinkering" guy, while installing the 3P, I made a few tweaks on it as well.

On the yoke, I doctored up the welds a little and removed the powder-coating to get proper clearance on the bushings. With the "pivot" bolts tight and the bushing loaded, the yoke hinges without resistance but no side to side slack. Additionally, I provided a little more clearance between the "head cover" (at the outside notches) and the yoke to prevent minor interference while pivoting.

These are just my opinions based on my experience and comparisons. Again, if my TV worked with the HA, I'd be using it and just keeping an eye on the things that I think are the weak links on that hitch. On the other hand, I can't ever see me buying another. The HA was as good as it got until something better came along...namely, the ProPride. I've hit on some of the bigger issues above but have a whole list of other subtle improvements associated with the 3P.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #688
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
PP installed

Howdy..
Boxes (yes, 4 boxes, arrived via UPS this afternoon) Yes, heavy..

Unpacked, inventoried, all appears intact. Even fits..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140016.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	193214   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140043.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	193215  

Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #689
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Son came over to help install. Raining brought work to a halt as my son did install at my home and we do not have cover yet.

Need to complete install by routing propane and electrical lines which were moved to accommodate yoke.

Late. Gnite
Old 08-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #690
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Dang!

That was quick--I struggled just to move the boxes into the garage to keep them safe...
Old 08-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #691
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Zackybilly,
Would you be interested in getting rid of those Hensleys?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #692
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Dang!

That was quick--I struggled just to move the boxes into the garage to keep them safe...
It helps if you are too dumb to know if you are doing it wrong

Also, while it can be done alone, an extra set of hands/ eyes is crucial to getting done in a couple hours. At least the first time.

Still, in the spirit of full disclosure, there remains reroutes of propane flex line and re secure of wiring.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #693
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Zackybilly,
Would you be interested in getting rid of those Hensleys?
Yes I would or otherwise, they'll just be collecting dust. I have one on the trailer has jacks and the second one I have has chains & cam-over latches like other WD hitches. I'd let you pick and choose parts & pieces. I'll have to confirm but I think I have 1000 & 1400 lb. bars.

Both of the stingers I have are 6" drop but would you believe they won't interchange? That's unforgivable with most manufacturers.

Let me know what you want to do and I'll give you a hell of a deal on one of them.

Z
Old 08-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #694
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackybilly1 View Post

Yes I would or otherwise, they'll just be collecting dust. I have one on the trailer has jacks and the second one I have has chains & cam-over latches like other WD hitches. I'd let you pick and choose parts & pieces. I'll have to confirm but I think I have 1000 & 1400 lb. bars.

Both of the stingers I have are 6" drop but would you believe they won't interchange? That's unforgivable with most manufacturers.

Let me know what you want to do and I'll give you a hell of a deal on one of them.

Z
I would think the one with jacks would be the more modern and less noisy while turning- but I really don't know that for a fact.
I am quite happy with my Equal-i-zer but I'll never know if the Hensley/ProPride are better until I try one.
I have an EazLift in the shed collecting dust I wish I could get rid off. I don't foresee ever using it again. The Equal-i-zer is so much easier to hook up and less noisy.
I have 1000# bars on both EazLift and Equl-i-zer.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #695
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
And so...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1420227318.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	193238

Alignment fairly simple. A 3 year old can do it.

Note: 3year old NOT included... 3 year old supplied by customer.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #696
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
I would think the one with jacks would be the more modern and less noisy while turning- but I really don't know that for a fact.
I am quite happy with my Equal-i-zer but I'll never know if the Hensley/ProPride are better until I try one.
I have an EazLift in the shed collecting dust I wish I could get rid off. I don't foresee ever using it again. The Equal-i-zer is so much easier to hook up and less noisy.
I have 1000# bars on both EazLift and Equl-i-zer.
Actually, according to Hensley and their database, the cam-over job is a newer set-up than the jack-type I received on the 31 Classic....I went and checked...I do have 1000 & 1400 bars...your choice. Not that it matters to me one way or the other but on the chain set-up, once dialed in, I don't see it as being any better or worse than the jacks. On the chain/cam thing, it came with struts that you install between the rear-end of the WD bars and where the jack normally mounts when un-hooking...prevents the hitch head from pivoting forward.

The cam-over bits & pieces....

Un-hooked struts....

I'll leave the jack-type on the trailer until you come get it as it only takes a couple of minutes to rig down.... or until the PP replacement comes in which will be several weeks out.

I'll be in New Mexico the first week of September but available most any other time.

Z
Old 08-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #697
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I am interested in purchasing the one of those Hensleys, but I will do some research first-
Which stinger do I need for my Tundra? I don't think I need a 6" drop, but I don't know that. I don't think I have any drop at all now- or maybe a 2" drop. I think the ball is level with the receiver.
Which is the "preferred" setup? Jacks are cam-over?
I am puzzled that the two 6" stingers won't interchange. Is there that much variance from one year to another?
I will ask those questions on Airforums.
Please pm me with a price and contact info. I remember that you live in MS but I didn't know where your town was. I live in Greenwood in Leflore county in the Delta. US Hwy 82 and US Hwy 49E run through here.
If I decide to purchase one I might bring trailer and all so I can see the difference on the way home. I could tell the difference from sob and EazLift to Airstream and Equal-i-zer when we traded for the Heirstream. We still work, but we camp every weekend from now till Thanksgiving or Christmas depending on the weather.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #698
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I see Poplarville on the map- about halfway between Hattiesburg and Picayune on I-59. Is Paul B. Johnson State Park worth spending a weekend? I have driven by Poplarville several times in my life, but it has never registered. I must not have ever stopped there for gas or anything. I remember all those FEMA trailers in a field down that way- and a bunch of them burned to the ground.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #699
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
"HA - Gimpy, scabbed together and prone to distortion/cracks"

Tell me more---we have had a HA for 2.5 yrs and the past six months has been a bugger to UN- hitch--- having to unhitch from truck and use a hammer to extricate the stinger from the Hensley- it gets stuck in there BIG TIME---almost like it goes in too far- can't really see any expansion of the HA box, but can't come up with any other explanation. Even traded our 6" stinger for another, and no change - anyone else with this issue???
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #700
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
I see Poplarville on the map- about halfway between Hattiesburg and Picayune on I-59. Is Paul B. Johnson State Park worth spending a weekend? I have driven by Poplarville several times in my life, but it has never registered. I must not have ever stopped there for gas or anything. I remember all those FEMA trailers in a field down that way- and a bunch of them burned to the ground.
If I didn't live here, I wouldn't have stopped at Poplarville either...just a small town with one traffic light...after Katrina, I was just looking for land close to the interstate to build a new shop...Poplarville is where I found it.

Paul B. Johnson is a decent park. You may want to look on ReserveAmerica, etc. and look at the slots as some of them are on the short side. It has a nice lake but its not Disneyworld.

On the hitch bar drop, maybe someone here can elaborate as I'm not familiar with the Tundra set-up. I do know that on my Suburban 2500 the top of the receiver box is 25.5" above GL. The 6" drop hitch bar is about 5-6" too short for my set-up. The max HA offers is 8" drop. Sean offers an adjustable version to fit HA hitches but is so bogged down building hitches, he doesn't know when they will get around to build more. I tried to pre-order one but he didn't want to take a pre-order without having an idea of when they could get around to building them. He built the drop I needed for my PP hitch. I don't know what Chevy was thinking putting the receiver so high on a vehicle designed to tow. I will give credit to them for how robust the receiver is but it is on the high side.

PM sent.

Z