Old 02-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #1741
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Might need just a bit more WD tension. I’ve got a ProPride and noticed that 1/4 to 1/2 inch more tension has a big effect on stopping porpoising issues. It’s an indication that the front end of the tow vehicle is too light.

Some road surfaces generate more porpoising than others. You need just enough WD to eliminate the motion, but lots more than that is unnecessary and causes other handling issues.

May also want to look at the condition of the shocks on the truck. They can wear out and cause handling issues as well.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #1742
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard sande005..

I am no expert on towing with rear air bags, but all the instructions I have read said to set WD without any air bag assist. Get the WD set properly and add air only to level the rig.

Concrete highways with consistant seams are the most common cause of 'harmonic' oscillation. (porpoising)

Properly set-up WD, a competent TV and proper loading will take care of the rest.👍

I found it best with our Hensley to use 1000lb WD bars, with a 1200lb TW Un-hitched.
560lb to the TV Frt Axle
160 to the AS axles
720 moved

Bob
🇺🇸

“Growing Old…being able to think about things you can no longer remember.”
RLC

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #1743
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
Make sure your frame bracket is still centered. On a trip last year, I noticed my trailer doing something of a shimmy. Took a look at the bracket and saw it had shifted about a 1/2". Recentered the bracket and the shimmy disappeared. I now check this fairly regularly. For me, it's easy to do, just look at the slots the bolts are in. Should be the same on both sides.

Happy towing.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #1744
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
Hi all - first post. Don't be too harsh - I own a SOB (Some Other Brand) trailer....but this seems to be the spot to discuss/ask about all things ProPride. The basics:

TV: 2012 F-150, Eco, 4x4, 6.5 box, Max Tow, HDPP. Payload = 2166. "E" tires (Michelin) at 80 lbs. Airbags (but only minimal inflation).

Trailer: 33', 7,600 lbs.

Trailer as delivered was light on the tongue - about 11%, and couldn't do much to change it. Got sway. Got the PP, 1400 bars, over 2 years ago. Currently with the PP and addition of 2 6v, TW is 950 or about 12.5%

Of course, sway is gone. Have put about 6,000 miles on the PP. Tracking seems great.

But, especially on the last trip, porpoising and truck suck seemed pretty bad. So much, the other driver has spent the winter looking at other RV/Truck options, as she does not want to drive this setup...

My storage lot insists on moving the trailer themselves. I leave the stinger in the hitch, so they could use the receiver on their tractor to move it. But caught them prior to the last trip just looping chains around the stinger assembly, lifting the trailer by those, and dragging it around that way.

Nothing appears to have shifted, but I plan (after the snow melts) to go through the entire setup process again to verify everything.

Any particular aspects I should concentrate on, to ensure I minimize the potential for porpoising/truck suck? Or is it just too much tail wagging the dog?

Rear end drop of the truck isn't too bad, front is back to original height. Hence haven't done much with the airbags. Was thinking to fully hitch up, adjust bags to get truck to same level as unhitched. THEN use that as the baseline when going through the setup process. Would this be the correct order to do things? Will a bit of trailer nose down also help?
I had proposing on my 2017 F150 with the PP. I looked for a solution and found one. I eliminated it with the roadmaster suspension kit. Total cost including installation was $650. Made a world of difference. Way better than airbags for increased stability. I was going to put on airbags and the guy that sells this stuff tows alot and said it would be waste of money. He would have sold them to me for $1500, but he said he uses the roadmaster suspension system.

Some of said that Bilstien shocks work as well. I didn't try them because the guy at the shop said he knows the roadmaster will do the trick. It did.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #1745
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Some good advice already, sande005 I can echo.

1) add a little more tension from the WD towers - always check with the scales to be sure you’re not overloading the steer axle, but sometimes just 1/2” on the WD towers is enough to drop the porpoising behavior

2) ensure the frame bracket is centered. I had the problem once - don’t remember what caused it but it drove really weird and I noticed it was off center. A couple bolts to tighten after repositioning and all good

3) concrete roads - they are what they are. I’ve found nothing - not even slowing to what would probably be an unsafe highway speed - helps there. Just grin and bear it I guess.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #1746
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Very good advise as you say SteveSueMac.

Some physics to explain why the advice is good. Although the tongue weight is relatively light, there remains a significant amount of vertical forces imparted on the tow vehicle at the hitch point. You need something to more effectively dampen the response to those forces. Use of airbags to maintain riding height provides some damping but it is among the least effective at the task. Here is a suggested practical list of best to least effective.

1. Increased Weight Distribution tension
2. Decrease in Trailer Pitch inertia by moving weight closer to axle and or desired Trailer center of gravity (probably hard to do)
3. Stiffer Vehicle shocks
4. Stiffer tire sidewalls (more air pressure, higher load range tires)
5. More Airbag Pressure
Old 02-14-2020, 07:48 PM   #1747
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Can anyone advise on maintenance procedures. Mine is 5 years old and while I lube the zerks, I wonder if I should pop open those aluminum caps and look at the bearings contained there in..... I am a little afraid to look in there!!!!!
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #1748
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If you keep grease in the bearing sleeve cavity the grease will keep the metal from scoring and even more importantly, keep the rain and dirt out. No need to look at them if they remain tight with no lateral movement. just keep greasing them so the nasty grease keeps slowly squeezing out.