Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #501
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
The hitch only comes in one size 14,000lb, there are different weight bars which are for weight distribution, I believe the heaviest is 1400lb lightest is 600lb.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #502
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
I don't mean to sound defensive. I'm not. I just want you to get the hitch installed correctly so you can enjoy yourself.

I don't know who John Campbell is. Do you mean Jim Barnwell? He is in NC.

We DO only sell 14000# hitches. The only thing that changes is the rating on the weight distribution bars. Like I said before, the guys talking to you in the campground clearly don't understand the hitch or ratings. That isn't being defensive, it's only stating a fact based on what you told me they said.

Please move the hitch bar offset up one hole and insert the tilt adjustment pin. You WILL be able to get the weight distributed properly if you do that.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #503
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hey Grlscout,
If you're not happy with the PP, I'll send you my barely used Reese dual cam (about 3 or 4,000 miles) and $500. OR swap you even for my recently rebuilt and repainted Hensley arrow (documented here on Airforums) in exchange for your PP. What do you say?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #504
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlotte , North Carolina
MOVED ONE NOTCH, on September 5 at Chex Truck World, which INCREASED the tow vehicle weight by 20 lbs
For more information please see Before and After CAT Scale weights in images in previous post. They are yellow.
Before is #14624153 and After is 14624160.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PP close up.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	579.4 KB
ID:	171176   Click image for larger version

Name:	PP.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	171177  

1grlscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #505
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Okay, good on the offset.

Now, is the tilt adjustment pin with washers inserted.

Also, the pivot bolt should be in the bottom hole above the bolt in the slot. It is in the top hole below the slot bolt in the photos above.

Is the tilt adjustment pin with washers installed? There is a hole between the plates in the end of the bar. That pin should be inserted in that hole with two or three washers under the head of the pin.

In the top photo above it is not in there and the weight distribution is forcing the hitch bar to have an upward slope toward the trailer. The tilt adjustment pin will keep the hitch bar parallel to the ground and give you more weight distribution with per inch of jack travel.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #506
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I see a problem, if not THE problem....you have the center bolt in the wrong hole. It should be in the lower center hole. The way you have the drawbar setup, the upper tilt pin cannot contol the tilt angle on the drawbar.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #507
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The final weights and most reliable are also posted with the CAT scale weights. It is titled Mainline Sorter Hillsborough, Sept. 5, 2012, 20:07:26 (8:07 pm). This is an official scale authorized by the state of NC to determine if a tractor trailer's weight is within lawful limits.
It is on a white piece of paper.

The Max Weight for the RA1, as listed on the door of the Land Cruiser, is 4300 lb

The official scale shows the RA1 weight to be 4320
Old 10-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #508
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
You said 2 holes should be showing at the top
Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #509
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I speak Italian and French, but not towing. I don't think I can do this. Tilt bars, pins, whatever. I can understand pictures and 2 holes at top, but that's it.
As I said before, I need one knowledgeable, trustworthy person who can be physically present to help me. Preferably a Scout.LOL
Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #510
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I won't haggle about fees
Old 10-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #511
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Especially now that Apple is up $6.00 since the Live Streaming Presentation began.
I will check back in after the markets close. After hours is 8pm.
I am trading options. Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #512
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
You should be able to take your tow vehicle, adjustable hitch bar, and instruction manual to any mechanically intelligent person and successfully have the adjustable hitch bar setup properly. You do not need a Propride expert to get this hitch bar setup properly. It's a simple process for a person with mechanical skill who can also follow an instruction manual.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #513
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My 3P hitch is due to arrive Friday. This will be a busy weekend! I'll start today preparing by removing the Reese, propane tanks, etc. and touching up the A-frame.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #514
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
John,

I offer my assistance if you need it. I'm (relatively) close to you, and have installed three ProPride hitches, so should you need help, just give me a shout.

Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #515
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
John,

I offer my assistance if you need it. I'm (relatively) close to you, and have installed three ProPride hitches, so should you need help, just give me a shout.

Regards,
Steve
Thanks for the offer. I don't really expect any problems, though. I'm pretty mechanically inclined.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #516
Contributing Member

My hitch just arrived in Mesquite, TX an hour ago and will be brought to Austin tonight to be delivered sometime tomorrow.

Today, I removed the Reese hitch, plugged the holes temporarily with the lag screws, and painted the A-frame with Rustoleum black. There was virtually no rust under the chrome covers, when I popped them off, so I cleaned the area under the covers with steel wool, painted it, and replaced the covers. I have strips of non-slip tape on the top of the chrome covers so I can step up on them to get bugs off the trailer front without fear of slipping. I also loosened the propane lines to clear the frame bracket when I install it tomorrow.

Some folks have had rust under the chrome A-frame covers, but my trailer is under cover when not in use and the area was virtually rust free.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #517
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
john, some of those bolts might be in the way. i tried to prep like you did but i found it easier to leave them off until the install was complete.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #518
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
john, some of those bolts might be in the way. i tried to prep like you did but i found it easier to leave them off until the install was complete.
I can always easily remove the lag screws, but the only protrusions are the heads of the lag screws that once mounted the front swivel casting for the Reese hitch. The area is safely in front of where the frame bracket U-bolts will mount, and are on a completely bare area of the frame according to 2air's photos. There are no frame holes in the area of the jacks.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #519
Contributing Member

The hitch arrived about 1:00 this afternoon. Great packing job! Unfortunately, the weather was miserable; cold, windy, and spitting rain.

I have the stinger on the truck and set up. Everything else except the hitch head is in my car trunk to go to the storage yard after breakfast with my fellow vets in the morning. I'll get a friend to help me boost the hitch head onto the stinger and install that Sunday morning.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #520
Contributing Member

The A-frame is all decorated and waiting for the hitch head. Everything went on easily. I would install the head this afternoon, but I have a conflict. It will go on in the morning.

The only hitch was that the locking bolts for the WD jacks were far too long and would hit the storage box. I bought 1 1/2" bolts at Tractor Supply to replace them. Note to Sean: Even if the A-frame was a C-channel, the supplied bolts are far longer than will be ever needed.

While at Tractor Supply, I bought a set of the magnetic telescoping tennis balls for hookup for the amazing price of $2.99 and a couple years supply of lithium grease..
WBCCI #9632