Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #241
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Nice job. thought you weren't a painter!!!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #242
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Airish
Thanks for all the information on this link. I purchases my haha 6 months ago and never had a chance to use it. I am now traveling between Phoenix and Illinois. I am in Albuquerque and find the hitch excellent. I am travelling without wife and had no problem connecting. I did notice that the bolts on the U attachment were not tight and I did not trust my torque wrench so I tightened to firm. I am not receiving hardly any drafts from semis. In compaison to my previous Blue Ox, the haha is excellent. I read the manual about 10 times and now understand the concept of the hitch so it has been relatively easy to adjust and use. I only wish my new Airstream was of the same quality. It is important to follow instuctions and be certain that everything is in place and level.I will fill you in as I travel and report my experience with the hitch. Now if only I could learn to back up. Thank goodness for pull thru's.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:44 AM   #243
_

. , .
you are welcome woodedareas....

we've helped each other greatly with the ultimate users guide...

enjoy the towing and camping!

backing will happen.

very nice paint upgrade mmfly4fun

looks great!

keep those hahas lubed and happy folks.

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #244
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
The ultimate testimonial

I posted a few comments in this string - mostly appreciating the fact that it was started as it convinced me to get a Hensley.

Here's the best part of a Hensley: MY WIFE WILL NOW DRIVE!!!

She was so impressed with the stability that she drove a third the trip home from Tampa to Houston. As long as we were on open highway, or not in construction, she happily spelled me for hours on end.

'Nuff said.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #245
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
I have almost completed my trip from Arizona to Illinois. I am currently in St. Louis. This is the first trip with the Hensley and it performed as advertised. The draft from trucks is negligible unless there are significant winds and the trucks are speeding over the 75mph limits that exist in the westerly states.For the most part I left the hitch attached overnight but relieved the pressure on the tow vehicle by using the power lift to a predertermined height. Quite frankly in comparison to my previous hitch which I gave to the dealer, I would not tow a trailer as I firmly believe my previous hitch was not safe. Thanks for all the great advice.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #246
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
After raving about the Hensely I had a problem disconnecting from the AS today. The hitch had been attached from Arizona to Illinois. I was not able to release from the trailer and with each attempt it actually pulled the trailer forward. Finally I also removed the pin holding the hitch in to the truck.On the forth attempt (sudden jerk) it release from the trailer. I was then easily able to remove the stinger from the truck. Would grease within the female part of the Hensely help?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #247
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
wax...

I carry a bar of Gulf Wax (parafin) and rub all 4 sides of the hitch bar that slides into the hitch.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #248
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I would bet that your problem of being unable to release was due to improper orientation, not lack of grease. I never grease my shank or either receiver. Always make certain that your jacks achieve the "floppy loose" status" on each side and there should be no problem in unhooking from the trailer. Similarly, always make certain that the angle of the female part of the hitch is the same as the male shank along with being the correct height and you should never have a problem hooking up.
GStephens
Old 05-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #249
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
You are absolutley correct. I forgot to loosen the jacks as I normally do. I have never had this problem before as the jacks were loose.I actually measure for the correct height so I know that wasn't the problem, so it is definetly the jacks.Thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #250
S.O.B. (Some Other Brand)

Dallas , Texas
Disclaimer: I am not an Airstream owner.

I've towed two different travel trailers with a Hensley Arrow (HAHA). I purchased my HAHA in 2001 and have logged over 50K miles towing with it.

I've read all 18 pages of this thread. A lot of good advice.

I'd be happy to share some other tips and tricks either here or via e-mail (computer@drfife.com).

Let me know.

Thanks,

Russell (aka drfife)
2003 SunnyBrook 29DBS
2002 Suburban K2500 8.1 4.10
2001 Hensley Arrow
Old 05-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #251
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Welcome....

Welcome to the Airstream forums Russell. We have communicated at the Sunnybrook Talk forum in the past. Maybe we can convert you to an Airstream family.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #252
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Easy exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
After raving about the Hensely I had a problem disconnecting from the AS today. The hitch had been attached from Arizona to Illinois. I was not able to release from the trailer and with each attempt it actually pulled the trailer forward. Finally I also removed the pin holding the hitch in to the truck.On the forth attempt (sudden jerk) it release from the trailer. I was then easily able to remove the stinger from the truck. Would grease within the female part of the Hensely help?
When I disengage, I just make sure the truck receiver is at the same height as when I hooked up (using the tongue jack), and then I make sure the load bars are "sloppy loose" per the manual.

Works every time... no lubricant needed. Remember to chock the wheels, per the manual. Now, if I could only find time to put on a good coat of paint! The Hensley paint job is, well, not up to the engineering of the hitch.

Love the HAHA, the paint leaves something to be desired.
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
Old 05-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #253
S.O.B. (Some Other Brand)

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight
Welcome to the Airstream forums Russell. We have communicated at the Sunnybrook Talk forum in the past...
Dwight, thanks for the welcome. I was not sure if this forum allowed SOB's (Some Other Brands) to post.

I thought I remembered you from the SunnyBrook Talk Forum and the NTXCA!
Old 05-30-2007, 08:46 PM   #254
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
other brands...

Russell, 'streamers are an accepting group of folks. I don't believe anyone will object to having someone share their knowledge about products.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #255

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
HAHA dilema

Take a look at the these photos of my Hensley. It seems like the square receiver hole is becoming enlarged. The hitch bar seems to be going in further. The upper plate is developing an upward bend as evidenced by the cracking paint. I sent the enlarged receiver hole photo to Hensley. They wrote back saying this is normal.

We just got back from a 9000 mile trip, and the Hensley performed flawlessly. I would like to get some experienced opinions as to whether I should be concerned.

Thanx, Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2230.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	41575   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2331.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	41576  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2332.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	41577  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #256
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Brian-

All I can say is "Yikes"!!!

But, I bet it will function perfectly well for quite awhile in spite of looking a little worse for the wear.

Have you noticed whether the over center latches loosen up over time? It looks like the stinger is intruding too far into the hitch box. Trailer brakes not coming on soon enough might worsen that by slamming the trailer into the TV...do you notice the trailer 'bumping' you when you apply the brakes?

Just some thoughts...
WBCCI #8481
Old 07-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #257

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I'm not getting any movement toward the TV upon braking because I have been able to adjust the lugs enough to keep a tight connection. I am concerned that I will eventually reach the limit of this adjustment.
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #258
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I guess I meant a different type of movement...if your trailer brakes are not leading the TV, the Hensley hitch box will pivot around one direction or the other via the linkage and 'slam' into itself when it reaches the limits of it's movement. That momentum might be carried forward enough to thrust the stinger into the hitch box. This would occur independently of the OCL's being tight enough, though definitely worsened if they were not tight enough!

I'd be worried, too, as you pointed out, by the limits of adjustment of those OCLs. Also, that 'flared' box seems to me that it might be very necessary for maintaining the integrity of the mechanical relationship between trailer and TV. When that it lost, it might get very interesting....
WBCCI #8481
Old 07-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #259

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I first noticed this distortion on our recent long trip. I have not noticed any shifting of the trailer upon stopping. As a matter of fact, I have been watching for just that response. I have just recently noticed the buckling paint on the the upper structural plate. I'm afraid this indicates that the outed ends of this plate are starting to bend upward.
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #260
_

. , .
some observations moosetags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Take a look at the these photos of my Hensley...
thanks for posting this issue here...

Quote:
... It seems like the square receiver hole is becoming enlarged...
a close look INSIDE the hitch box will reveal 4 flange/ramps on each side. i've noticed these DO tend to compress with time as the stinger beds in.

Quote:
...The hitch bar seems to be going in further...
perhaps, but mine fits pretty much like that too. checking for play in the over center latches is a good idea,

remembering that they did 'loosen' a little in the first few towing trips.

from your photo the flared ramps on the STINGER look to match up uniformly with the 4 sides of the hitch box,

again a sign they have adjusted to each other.

do you notice any unusual 'wear' on the stinger?

while the top side of the hitch box may appear to be changing shape.

IF it matches up to the top stinger surface, that would seem normal

Quote:
... The upper plate is developing an upward bend as evidenced by the cracking paint..
the upper side of the box at the entry has lots of stresses...
-hitch mass
-even greater forces from the w/d system
-occasional coupling/decouplings where the stinger/trailer drags a bit...

looking at mine, the upper interior flange is more compressed than the sides or bottom flange...

the original paint 'cracking' may be misleading...

since any time the box is bumped a little, this paint may crack...

now, looking at your close up of the top side, i can imagine some tiny cracks in the steel

which may just be rust lines from the paint.

my suggestion is,
-completely remove ALL the paint from the hitch box opening, use an abrasive paint wheel for this.
-clean the metal with a pre paint solvent.
-repaint JUST the hitch box (top and sides)
-watch this paint for signs of metal deformation

living where you do, there is more potential for sand getting in the box and causing wear.

i tend to keep the box 'clean and dry' with only a light coating for corrosion protection...

grease and sand aren't a good combo.

lastly you might rotate the hitch box completely and take some photos, far left and far right.

this would give a better view of the part in question.

approaching 45k on mine with a 1300lb tongue, keeps me watching 4 all of the signs of metal fatigue.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Closed Thread