Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #1441
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
So let me get this straight Andy. You drive down the road watching the speedometer and the wind speed indicator? Isn't that like texting?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #1442
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
A timely reason to have and use the collar: I towed a new to me used car today from Spanish Fort, Alabama on a U-Haul trailer. I had taken over a couple of different drop bars and my Andersen bar and ball. It so happened that the Andersen was the right height as it was set up to give me a level trailer. I would not have been able to use it without the collar.
The ride was uncomfortable compared to hauling my Airstream. Too bad I could not use the entire Andersen WD system to smooth things out.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #1443
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Didn't aim to turn this into a weather station. I simply checked the local conditions on my NOAA weather radio to get a reading on the wind. "Smooth" may well be the best way to describe today's test run. I deliberately hauled about twenty five gallons of water sloshing around in a tank behind the rear trailer axle to see if I could induce swaying. I didn't.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #1444
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
So let me get this straight Andy. You drive down the road watching the speedometer and the wind speed indicator? Isn't that like texting?
I am also a licensed pilot with over 1200 hours as pilot in command.

I was properly trained to watch all kinds of instruments as well as watch what I am doing.

Landing an aircraft requires the use of both hands, both feet, both ears, both eyes, monitoring the necessary instruments, like altitude, airspeed, flap settings, landing gear deployed, propeller settings, RPM settings, and guiding the aircraft to a smooth landing all while talking to approach control and/or the tower. When you can do all of that, then checking a speedometer and an altimeter, is a piece of cake.

Ever notice that not very many pilots get into automotive accidents?

Last I knew though, people don't stare at speedometers, but they do glance at them. I don't think that resembles texting, which should not be done when operating a motor vehicle.

A quick glance at a speedo and another quick glance at the airspeed, is all that's needed to tell what's going on.

Unfortunately, there is no school to teach folks how to properly tow a trailer.

Maybe someday.

Andy
Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #1445
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Andy! I was just pulling your leg. LOL
Old 03-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #1446
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This may be a solution for the Atwood failures when using an Andersen hitch.

As you may know I cut the Atwood hitch off my trailer and installed a Quickbite coupler. I saved the head of the Atwood to try out an idea. Drill a 3/8 hole is strategically placed through the Atwood and grind a corresponding cut in the lift bar. The placement of a pin and clip will keep the pawl from lifting. Knot the depth of the cut in the lift bar to insure that even if the lift bar shears the stop off the shark fin the bar will not raise allowing a failure.

The all thread rod in the hitch is just for illustration as to the location of the hole.

Some additional investigation to see if the hole and grinding on the lift bar could be placed on the front edge of the bar. This would insure the bar could not move forward over time. This experiment was done by eye. A template to locate the holes in the hitch would make this a simple modification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quickbite 001.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	180036  

Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #1447
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I spent some time the other day at two trailer supply places here, inspecting several different brands and styles of heavy duty coupler suitable for use on larger Airstreams. The Atwood was one of them. It's a lot easier to see how they are made, how the operate, and see their strengths and weekness when they are on the shelf and you can turn them over and look.

If I were to use the Andersen with a large Airstream, I am convinced the only suitable coupler is the Bulldog.

This is my opinion, and as always, your mileage may vary.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #1448
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
I received a reply from Andersen concerning the problem I had with the hitch. Dave said that they were working on a solution and might have one worked out as early as this week. I have not heard from him since the initial communication but am very interested what their proposal will be. I would not be too surprised if it were along the lines of Howie's demo on his old Atwood coupler. Whatever their suggestion is I will be interested as I really like all other aspects of the hitch and want to make it work, albeit, safely.
I really appreciated getting a reply from Andersen as too many businesses no longer consider customer service as a part of business.
Steve, what do you consider "a large airstream"?
Thanks to all for the continuing input. To a relative newcomer, this forum is an invaluable source.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #1449
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
The wind does not have much to do with the pros and cons for this hitch and coupler issues.

For those concerned with wind speed you can use the Beaufort Wind Scale to come up with a good estimate.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #1450
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
Steve, what do you consider "a large airstream"?
Thanks to all for the continuing input. To a relative newcomer, this forum is an invaluable source.
850 lbs tongue weight and above. I say tongue weight because that is what determines the pressure the Andersen must put on the coupler pawl.

The Bulldog coupler is the only coupler that I saw that was solid metal on the rear of the ball and without an upward sliding pawl.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #1451
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The Bulldog coupler is the only coupler that I saw that was solid metal on the rear of the ball and without an upward sliding pawl.
I take it you have not seen a Quickbite coupler.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #1452
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I take it you have not seen a Quickbite coupler.
When the Quickbite coupler jaws are closed around the ball, there is a void of supporting metal directly in the back of the ball, which is THE point where the Andersen applies pressure to the ball.

Not so with the Bulldog.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #1453
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
In keeping with the be nice rule Please take another look.
The rearward contact area is as close to 100% as can be without binding on the lower part of the ball as it connects to the tapered shaft.

This results in a mark on the back of ball that is over a square in.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #1454
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
In keeping with the be nice rule Please take another look.
The rearward contact area is as close to 100% as can be without binding on the lower part of the ball as it connects to the tapered shaft.

This results in a mark on the back of ball that is over a square in.
Howie, I have been keeping with the "be nice rule", unless my saying that I would choose a Bulldog hitch over the Quickbite that you have chosen is somehow perceived by you as not being nice.

I did not say this in my previous post, but while visiting the trailer places, I asked three different trailer mechanics at the trailer shops I visited, "what is the strongest trailer coupler?" All three of them immediately said, "the Bulldog".
Old 03-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #1455
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Here's a picture of the Quickbite closed that shows the void, or gap if you will, of the jaw material in the back when the hitch is closed around the ball. This is just the point where the Andersen weight distribution hitch applies the pressure to the ball to achieve weight distribution.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Quickbite.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	180084  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #1456
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If there was such a thing as the perfect coupler every trailer would already have it installed. They are all like any man made product a compromise and imperfect by their very nature. There will never be total agreement here on what is the best WD system, coupler, tow vehicle or even who makes the best hamburger. Whatever works for you is the best option.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #1457
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
You are right Michael. The Bulldog is difficult to hitch, and unhitch, and that is the beauty of the Quckbite, as it apears to be the easiest of them all.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #1458
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I will say that if my Marvel ever craps out I would strongly consider the Quickbite. I am very impressed by its apparent ease of use and safety. Looking forward to seeing how in the long term the Quickbite works out for those replacing their other couplers with it.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #1459
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
If there was such a thing as the perfect coupler every trailer would already have it installed. They are all like any man made product a compromise and imperfect by their very nature. There will never be total agreement here on what is the best WD system, coupler, tow vehicle or even who makes the best hamburger. Whatever works for you is the best option.
True, another way to put it is:
"Best" is an opinion based on a specific set of circumstances (which include personal preference and personal experience).

Also any change in circumstances can change what is "best".
Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #1460
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Steve

You are correct. There is a void at the rear of the Quickbite coupler

Name:	Quickbite 023.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	180095

However given that there is no possible displacement of the jaws while closed and there is no movement, other than slight pitch and yaw, the potential for ware is as close to zero as one could get.

The contact area is shown by the marks on the jaws

Name:	quickbite 022.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	180094

Marks on the ball that correspond to those on the jaws when the jaws are closed, note fresh rusting with slight yellow coloring.

Name:	Quickbite 024.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	180096

Also note that the marks on both the jaws and the ball show no indication that the hitch was being forced upwards by the chain tension, the problem resulting with the Atwood pawl and the incline that positions it against the ball

Closed Thread