Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #1241
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Unless the front axle is a fixed point, an anchor point, and weight is applied to the hitch the rear axle is the fulcrum. When force is applied to at one end of a leaver an equal and opposite force has to be applied to the other end to reach equilibrium. The fact that the front axle did not rise above the original height indicates while the rear dropped indicates that something has compensated for this expected reaction. That is WD.

Now that said one might argue that the WD was not enough when compared with other hitches.
What is enough?
The steering geometry has not been adversely effected so what is the problem? A 150 Ford can drop 2 in. With an acceptable load in the bed.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #1242
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
If it is not accetable for the front end to stay the same while the rear goes down 2" than please answer this. How does Peterbuilt, Kenworth, Freightline, Volvo, and Sterling and all pickup trucks towing with a king pin and fifth wheel wether a camper or or a 53' trailer with 40,000 lbs of cargo get a proper weight distribution.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #1243
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
If it is not accetable for the front end to stay the same while the rear goes down 2" than please answer this. How does Peterbuilt, Kenworth, Freightline, Volvo, and Sterling and all pickup trucks towing with a king pin and fifth wheel wether a camper or or a 53' trailer with 40,000 lbs of cargo get a proper weight distribution.
The simple answer to your question is, they do get an acceptable weight distribution. And it has been shown several times on here, even quoted from the pickup truck's operator's manuel, that restoring the original ride height with a WD hitch is what the truck's manufacturers recommend.

There are some folks in this community that just do whatever they can to get a rise out of others, and start an argument. Stay here long enough, and you will learn who to put on your "ignore" list. It makes for a much simpler life.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #1244
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
What is the part number for the hitch for a Airstream 25 and a Dodge 2500 ?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #1245
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
The king pin on a fifth wheel is going to be slightly forward of the rear axle so no front axle weight is ever lost. That is what eliminates sway also. With the better 5'er hitches, you can actually move the hitch forward/backward a lot and control how much of the weight is put on the front axle. Fifth wheel towing is brought up all the times in these threads and it is completely different than towing from behind the rear axle.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #1246
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The simple answer to your question is, they do get an acceptable weight distribution. And it has been shown several times on here, even quoted from the pickup truck's operator's manuel, that restoring the original ride height with a WD hitch is what the truck's manufacturers recommend.

There are some folks in this community that just do whatever they can to get a rise out of others, and start an argument. Stay here long enough, and you will learn who to put on your "ignore" list. It makes for a much simpler life.
But just how do fifth wheels get that WD? What lifts the rear to push down on the front? There no spring bars or chains.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #1247
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
But just how do fifth wheels get that WD? What lifts the rear to push down on the front? There no spring bars or chains.
You're absolutely right, they don't have springs bars or chains, because they don't need them. With a fifth wheel hitch, the weight of the trailer is placed directly over the rear axle, or as you have stated above, slightly in front of the axle.

Which by the way, is effectively what a WD hitch does...it moves the tongue weight off of the ball forward to the rear axle, and farther if you want, as well as a small amount back onto the TT axles.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #1248
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Two different sets of Physic laws.

5th wheels, have the pivot point forward of the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

You cannot do that with an Airstream coupler, or any other standard travel trailer.

The purpose of a load equalizing hitch is to place additional weight on the front axle of the tow vehicle.

Using just a "ball" removes that weight, from the front axle, causing instability, BIG TIME.

Andy
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #1249
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaubill57 View Post
What is the part number for the hitch for a Airstream 25 and a Dodge 2500 ?
As an actual Andersen WD system owner and user I would suggest that you contact Andersen directly. If you give them your tow combination they will set you up with the best system compoments for your specific use.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #1250
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
As an actual Andersen WD system owner and user I would suggest that you contact Andersen directly. If you give them your tow combination they will set you up with the best system compoments for your specific use.
Andersen is great about some things and not so about about others. I am Airstreaming in PS using my new Andersen for the first time. I am with friends who bought one I did but couldn't use it on this trip because Andersen has had his brackets since November and won't send him the new angled ones they promised. At their instruction he shipped the original ones to them. They keep promising to send them, but never follow through. So he had to come out here with no WD whatsoever. Yes, this is second hand info, but he is sitting right next me as I type this. In fact he let me check his Andersen for sizing, which led to my purchase. Very poor customer service IMHO.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #1251
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rich, when I bought the wrong size drop bar for my Andersen and called them, they immediately shipped the new replacement one day delivery as an even exchange, did not charge me for the shipping cost even though it was my error. I returned the old one in that shipping box.

Kindly keep us posted on the problem your friend is having.

doug k
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #1252
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
doug, ditto. Same customer service experience from Andersen with me. They have always been very quick getting back to me on any issue or question that I have had with them. My new brackets were delivered quickly and at no cost to me.

Rich, sorry to hear you friend has not had the same type experience. His not receiving the replacement brackets is out of charactor of Andersen in my opinion. A number of people here, including myself and on other sites have recieved their new angled brackets recently. I can only speculate that he may be having a communication problem with them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #1253
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
I know there have been stories about the great service. That's why this is so frustrating. He keeps contacting them. Last response was "what a mystery! I'll do some investigating" and then...nothing. He's a good guy so I posted this here hoping it might generate some action on Andersens part. He can't use the hitch until they send him some brackets. They shouldn't have agreed to swap them if they weren't going to follow through. If I didn't already have mine I would not order them now based on his experience.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #1254
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rich, I trust your friend and also trust Andersen. It will be interesting to know how this works out.

Perhaps you, as a Andersen customer, could give them a call on his behalf to see what's cookin' here.

doug k
Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #1255
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Rich, if you can PM me his name I would be happy to also give Andersen a call on his behalf. Not sure it would help but it could not hurt.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #1256
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Two different sets of Physic laws.

5th wheels, have the pivot point forward of the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

You cannot do that with an Airstream coupler, or any other standard travel trailer.

Andy

Yes, Andy, you can do that with an Airstream or any other standard travel trailer. We do it every day.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #1257
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Yes, Andy, you can do that with an Airstream or any other standard travel trailer. We do it every day.
True -- ProPride & HAHA accomplish this by geometry. And PullRite actually puts the pivot in the vicinity of the rear axle.

Anderson (and so many other WD-antisway setups) don't do this -- the advantages are discussed in other threads on ProPride or HAHA. Have I ever even seen a PullRite?

I could observe that the Anderson owners 'pull together'. No brickbats please...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #1258
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
I could observe that the Anderson owners 'pull together'. No brickbats please...
That's probably a true statement, but I am both an Andersen and a ProPride owner. The trailer I use the Andersen on is a small 17" Casita, and the hitch is absolutely leaps and bounds better than the single bar WD hitch with the friction sway control bar that I had on it.

I'm staying with the ProPride on my 31' Airstream, however.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #1259
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post

-
I'm not sure that I agree with that since he was only talking about weight distribution at the time.

If he was talking about sway control I would agree.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #1260
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yes, steady readers would agree that the discussion was about pivot location in terms of weight distribution. Returning you to the discussion already in progress.

Om...
Closed Thread