Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2018, 11:50 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Equal-i-zer

Hi, with 13 years and many thousands of miles in all kinds of conditions, some of which most of you would have stayed at home, I have had the same hitch, trailer, and for the first 10 years the same tow vehicle. In all of this time, "My trailer has only once swayed violently out of control; It was parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake."

The Propride and Hensley are no doubt great hitches, but if you read the Propride thread on this forum, you will read that even a few people with these hitches experienced sway conditions.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:56 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPREECE View Post
Honestly, I really don’t care what others use for their hitch. Or tow vehicle. Or trailer. Or toothpaste. When asked I don’t try to convince anyone to use what I use. I just state my opinion, throw in the facts, and let them choose. I also view some risks as being too great to not do my best to mitigate them.
Exactly what I said.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:41 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I changed from an Equalizer to a Propride about seven years ago. I would not change back from this type hitch.

Going down the road a very strong wind will exert force against the truck and trailer as a single unit. Some people think they are experiencing trailer sway when it is the force of wind pressing against the whole rig.

We once had to make a full-on 100% brake stop on one of the narrow bridges at Cairo Illinois. A car pulling a utility trailer decided to take their half in the middle as they entered the bridge and we were coming down off the bridge. It was as close as I have come to a bad wreck while pulling the trailer. Our truck and trailer stayed in a straight line and was controllable as we brought the rig to a full stop as fast as possible on the steep downhill slope of the bridge. I was extremely happy on that day knowing the hitch would not allow the trailer to get out of alignment with the truck during an emergency stop. That one event made the hitch worth the price.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:53 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
We have had a Reese w anti sway bars, it does not stop sway! None of the other hitches on the market stop sway except Hensley and Propride.

We have had a Hensley and we would still be using Hensley except the company was not there for us when we needed help.

Now Sean at Propride came to the rescue and helped us with the parts we needed. We later purchased a new Propride which we have on the rig now. There is no sway. Sean will help you with your questions and needs.

Forget about the money!!! Keep you and your family safe!
You need the best hitch!
We recommend Propride.

I realize you are not convinced but let me say only that if you value your life you will never regret installing a Propride hitch.
The truck and the trailer are nothing without the hitch.
You have spent a great deal on the truck and the trailer, invest in a hitch that will protect you and your family. Your driving will be a great deal less stressful and you arrive at your destination safely.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

WBCCI #8996
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:56 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I changed from an Equalizer to a Propride about seven years ago. I would not change back from this type hitch.

Going down the road a very strong wind will exert force against the truck and trailer as a single unit. Some people think they are experiencing trailer sway when it is the force of wind pressing against the whole rig.

We once had to make a full-on 100% brake stop on one of the narrow bridges at Cairo Illinois. A car pulling a utility trailer decided to take their half in the middle as they entered the bridge and we were coming down off the bridge. It was as close as I have come to a bad wreck while pulling the trailer. Our truck and trailer stayed in a straight line and was controllable as we brought the rig to a full stop as fast as possible on the steep downhill slope of the bridge. I was extremely happy on that day knowing the hitch would not allow the trailer to get out of alignment with the truck during an emergency stop. That one event made the hitch worth the price.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-23-2018, 05:27 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
So, what it boils down to is if you hate your family, don't care about the safety and well being of anyone else on the road (or in the world for that matter), place zero value on human life including you own, and get off on kicking puppies, feel free to buy any one of the other Rube Goldberg contraptions falsely marketed as sway control hitches made by Reese, Equalizer, Blue Ox, etc. Got it!
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #47

2004 28' Classic
Boise , Idaho
The Equalizer was the first eq hitch on the market. If it's working well for you why change? If you need more weight transfer then look at heaver transfer bars.
Lucilolucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucilolucky View Post
The Equalizer was the first eq hitch on the market. If it's working well for you why change? If you need more weight transfer then look at heaver transfer bars.

Thanks for the suggestion!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucilolucky View Post

I feel weight distribution, when setup properly, can be equally good on any well built wd hitch. The reason I changed to Propride was for the sway control benefits of the Propride & Hensley design. The thing about a major sway event is it is often sudden an unexpected.

My wife and I love traveling down the road with our Airstream. But, pulling a trailer down the road is an exercise in risk management for me. I do what I feel makes sense to manage the risk associated with towing three plus tons of trailer down the road. Each person decides the best methods to manage the risks. This forum is a really big help for me in the research of the risks and the things I can do to minimize the risks. And I feel every person has a different perception of potential risks associated with towing a trailer and potential fixes for the risks.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I feel weight distribution, when setup properly, can be equally good on any well built wd hitch. The reason I changed to Propride was for the sway control benefits of the Propride & Hensley design. The thing about a major sway event is it is often sudden an unexpected.

My wife and I love traveling down the road with our Airstream. But, pulling a trailer down the road is an exercise in risk management for me. I do what I feel makes sense to manage the risk associated with towing three plus tons of trailer down the road. Each person decides the best methods to manage the risks. This forum is a really big help for me in the research of the risks and the things I can do to minimize the risks. And I feel every person has a different perception of potential risks associated with towing a trailer and potential fixes for the risks.

Well said, thank you for your insight!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Sheridan , Wyoming
Equal-i-zer

I am sure no authority but have towed for almost 2 years without any hint of sway with my Equal-i-zer Hitch. I drive mountain passes, high cross winds and never had a problem. My question is; what conditions would have to occur to cause the trailer to sway other than icy roads which I avoid? I can't imagine any hitch working any better than what I have but if I thought I could ever be at risk of going into a sway then I would be the first one in line to change hitches.
BigHornStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHornStream View Post
I am sure no authority but have towed for almost 2 years without any hint of sway with my Equal-i-zer Hitch. I drive mountain passes, high cross winds and never had a problem. My question is; what conditions would have to occur to cause the trailer to sway other than icy roads which I avoid? I can't imagine any hitch working any better than what I have but if I thought I could ever be at risk of going into a sway then I would be the first one in line to change hitches.
Driving down hill, going too fast, in the rain, all while entering a decreasing radius curve causing you to slam on the brakes. This is scenario where a propride might add some extra insurance.

Full disclosure. I have a equalizer hitch, five years and over 20k miles. I try to compensate by driving slower.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Driving down hill, going too fast, in the rain, all while entering a decreasing radius curve causing you to slam on the brakes. This is scenario where a propride might add some extra insurance.

Full disclosure. I have a equalizer hitch, five years and over 20k miles. I try to compensate by driving slower.
IMHO, simply having a Hensley Design hitch system DOES NOT relieve you of the responsibility for driving sensibly. This hitch design simply reduces the amount of work it takes to keep the rig stable. It is not a 'cure' for driving too darn fast in bad conditions.

In your scenario, I wouldn't bet on staying on the road in my tow vehicle even without an Airstream in tow...the rig might stay perfectly aligned as the whole schmear goes over the side...

I would already be going considerably slower because of weather conditions and terrain...

IMHO, technology, however fancy, is NOT a cure for stupid.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
So, what it boils down to is if you hate your family, don't care about the safety and well being of anyone else on the road (or in the world for that matter), place zero value on human life including you own, and get off on kicking puppies, feel free to buy any one of the other Rube Goldberg contraptions falsely marketed as sway control hitches made by Reese, Equalizer, Blue Ox, etc. Got it!
In other words, Armageddon.
Life on the planet will never be the same!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
In other words, Armageddon.
Life on the planet will never be the same!
--Followed shortly by the heat death of the universe, as it dissolves into total chaos, and collapses...

...and eventually it reboots as another big bang happens.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Flushing , Michigan
On our Globetrotter with the front storage compartment, the compartment door, as noted elsewhere, does not open fully with my ProPride hitch setup. The jacks prevent it from doing so, however, it opens far enough so that I am able to place or remove anything I need without a problem. I feel that the benefits of the ProPride hitch far outweigh this small inconvenience.
steve46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I towed a 6300# Safari with a 10,000# Equalizer (because it came with the trailer) and first an F-150 and then a Ram 2500. I traded up to a 9100# Classic and towed it for a year with a 12,000# Equalizer and the 2500. I never experienced any hint of sway. When being passed on the interstate by semis I would get a nudge to the left as the semi passed the junction of the truck and trailer. I experience the same thing with my Propride. I bought a used Propride predominantly due to the fact that the heavy stuff stays on the trailer when I unhitch. I couldn't lift either Equalizer head up into the truck, and they were a pain to remove and store in the garage.

I never had an occasion where I had to do a panic stop with the Equalizer. We just returned from a 6-week, 8000-mile trip during which I had two occasions to do a panic stop with my Propride setup. It was very stable, even while exhibiting the "Hensley Bump".

An advantage of the Propride is that the anti-sway is designed in to the basic hitch and is completely independent of the weight distribution. With the Equalizer if you don't have significant weight distribution dialled in, the friction that provides anti-sway is substantially reduced.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #58

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
An advantage of the Propride is that the anti-sway is designed in to the basic hitch and is completely independent of the weight distribution. With the Equalizer if you don't have significant weight distribution dialled in, the friction that provides anti-sway is substantially reduced.

Al[/QUOTE]

For me that’s significant, I’m now towing a 27FB with a F350, not much need for weight transfer.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I towed a 6300# Safari with a 10,000# Equalizer (because it came with the trailer) and first an F-150 and then a Ram 2500. I traded up to a 9100# Classic and towed it for a year with a 12,000# Equalizer and the 2500. I never experienced any hint of sway. When being passed on the interstate by semis I would get a nudge to the left as the semi passed the junction of the truck and trailer. I experience the same thing with my Propride. I bought a used Propride predominantly due to the fact that the heavy stuff stays on the trailer when I unhitch. I couldn't lift either Equalizer head up into the truck, and they were a pain to remove and store in the garage.

I never had an occasion where I had to do a panic stop with the Equalizer. We just returned from a 6-week, 8000-mile trip during which I had two occasions to do a panic stop with my Propride setup. It was very stable, even while exhibiting the "Hensley Bump".

Al

Thank your for sharing your insight.

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #60
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
If anything, I would go Blue Ox before PP. there I said it... come and get me.... lol
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote