Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #61
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you experience sway with a Hensley or ProPride you do not have it either installed correctly, have the distribution bars tensioned improperly, or the struts tight. Try swerving at 65 mph on an Interstate to avoid a tractor-trailer tire and wheel coming at you in the air from the opposite direcion of traffic. No sway, but if it had, I would not be writing this testimony. My trailer was one week old and my hitch was on my second trailer. It is still there and I have not given the cost a single thought.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:23 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
If you experience sway with a Hensley or ProPride you do not have it either installed correctly, have the distribution bars tensioned improperly, or the struts tight. Try swerving at 65 mph on an Interstate to avoid a tractor-trailer tire and wheel coming at you in the air from the opposite direcion of traffic. No sway, but if it had, I would not be writing this testimony. My trailer was one week old and my hitch was on my second trailer. It is still there and I have not given the cost a single thought.
guskmg

When you study the mechanical design of the Propride / Hensley type hitch, I do not think it is physically possible for the trailer to sway as the tv & tt travel down the road. I believe any lateral forces will be equally exerted on the tv & tt as a single unit. I have no experience towing with the Propride setup wrong (i.e. low trailer tongue). When hit by lateral wind pressure my truck and trailer react to the wind pressure as a single unit with not even the slightest trailer sway. As another person pointed out, the mechanics of sway control on the Propride & Hensley are independent of the weight distribution system. I have 30,000 miles of towing with my Propride.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:25 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
guskmg

Must have been a terrifying experience!

WBCCI #8996
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
--Followed shortly by the heat death of the universe, as it dissolves into total chaos, and collapses...

...and eventually it reboots as another big bang happens.
It really boils down to owning and using a ProPride hitch will solve all of humanities current and future issues. I own one and firmly believe this since the ghost of Wally told me so

Hoagy
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I used an Equal-I-zer hitch for 3 years. It worked well. Here were my issues with it:

1. It was loud, croaks and moans even with the "jackets" on the L hooks and regular maintenance.
2. My wife could not get the bars on and off on her own.
3. I definitely felt the Airstream "leaning" on my tow vehicle while on the I84 a couple of times. That was not fun.
4. This hitch combats sway with friction. It is a passive, dampening solution to manage sway when it starts. Not ideal in my book.
5. When reversing, if you are cutting tight corners I was always worried about the bars popping out of their jackets. It happened once and I moved the jackets in an inch or so and it never happened again.. But the experience lives on in my mind.

We switched to a Pro-pride for the following reasons/here are some notes for having used it for 2 years:
1. I was sold on the principle of Pivot Point Projection (PPP) - this has been covered as nauseam by others for better or worse.
2. My wife can hitch and un-hitch without me now.
3. We have varying loads depending if we are going for hook ups or not. The Pro Pride allows us to dial in the weight distribution needed for the load. It is subtle but improves the ride.
4. Somewhat unexpected, the airstream tracks truer. Again prob due to the "PPP". Makes roundabouts and sharper turns more natural for me.
5. I find it easier to back the Airstream up with the Pro Pride. The cut is different but works better for me. My wife laughs at how much better I am at reversing now, then I use the dump trailer and I am a mess!!

The Pro Pride is not without negative considerations.

1. It is a more complex to hitch up and un-hitch. You need to pay attention to angles and heights. This alone is not for everyone. My wife and I prefer it to prying bars up and down.
2. Dialing in the weight distribution was a process. It took a few trips over the scales and I keep a log book of weights and jack heights every trip. I know now what jack heights I need for what load.
3. Installation takes time and thought. A good idea to have a mechanically minded person with you if you are not so hot with mechanics.

I am trying to be balanced and un-biased here. There is always a stake at hand when projecting the reasons why you make a change and we always want the change to be right and better

As far as my wife and I are concerned, the Pro Pride has been a good upgrade for us. The ride is smoother and more stable. Driving through turns and bends is more natural and reversing is easier.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
I used an Equal-I-zer hitch for 3 years. It worked well. Here were my issues with it:

1. It was loud, croaks and moans even with the "jackets" on the L hooks and regular maintenance.

2. My wife could not get the bars on and off on her own.

3. I definitely felt the Airstream "leaning" on my tow vehicle while on the I84 a couple of times. That was not fun.

4. This hitch combats sway with friction. It is a passive, dampening solution to manage sway when it starts. Not ideal in my book.

5. When reversing, if you are cutting tight corners I was always worried about the bars popping out of their jackets. It happened once and I moved the jackets in an inch or so and it never happened again.. But the experience lives on in my mind.

We switched to a Pro-pride for the following reasons/here are some notes for having used it for 2 years:

1. I was sold on the principle of Pivot Point Projection (PPP) - this has been covered as nauseam by others for better or worse.

2. My wife can hitch and un-hitch without me now.

3. We have varying loads depending if we are going for hook ups or not. The Pro Pride allows us to dial in the weight distribution needed for the load. It is subtle but improves the ride.

4. Somewhat unexpected, the airstream tracks truer. Again prob due to the "PPP". Makes roundabouts and sharper turns more natural for me.

5. I find it easier to back the Airstream up with the Pro Pride. The cut is different but works better for me. My wife laughs at how much better I am at reversing now, then I use the dump trailer and I am a mess!!

The Pro Pride is not without negative considerations.

1. It is a more complex to hitch up and un-hitch. You need to pay attention to angles and heights. This alone is not for everyone. My wife and I prefer it to prying bars up and down.

2. Dialing in the weight distribution was a process. It took a few trips over the scales and I keep a log book of weights and jack heights every trip. I know now what jack heights I need for what load.

3. Installation takes time and thought. A good idea to have a mechanically minded person with you if you are not so hot with mechanics.

I am trying to be balanced and un-biased here. There is always a stake at hand when projecting the reasons why you make a change and we always want the change to be right and better

As far as my wife and I are concerned, the Pro Pride has been a good upgrade for us. The ride is smoother and more stable. Driving through turns and bends is more natural and reversing is easier.

Extremely helpful, thank you for taking the time to write this!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience!
Are you suggesting that the only safe hitch out there is a Propride or a Hensley ?
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:55 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Are you suggesting that the only safe hitch out there is a Propride or a Hensley ?

The OP has been thanking everyone for their opinion. How is a simple “thank you” an endorsement for anything?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks3456 View Post
I too have an equalizer and it is the best I have ever had. I cannot even imagine using anything else.
Had to do an emergency pedal slamming stop on I-290 near Chicago.
It is my belief that the combination of my equalizer and the weight of my F-250
diesel is the only thing that saved my BUTT ! Stopped 2 feet short of the car in front of mines bumper, the truck and trailer tracking true.
If I had less of a tow vehicle, less weight or smaller brakes, I would no doubt
have rear ended that car. It's the combination that works for me.
Until I experience sway or any other such episode, I'll stick to my Equalizer.
It works for me.
Just for the record By mid August I will have traveled 20,000 miles with no incidence of sway in just 14 months.
Don't understand why someone that likes what they have would switch just because someone else likes what they have. If it works it works, Period !
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
Had to do an emergency pedal slamming stop on I-290 near Chicago.

It is my belief that the combination of my equalizer and the weight of my F-250

diesel is the only thing that saved my BUTT ! Stopped 2 feet short of the car in front of mines bumper, the truck and trailer tracking true.

If I had less of a tow vehicle, less weight or smaller brakes, I would no doubt

have rear ended that car. It's the combination that works for me.

Until I experience sway or any other such episode, I'll stick to my Equalizer.

It works for me.

Just for the record By mid August I will have traveled 20,000 miles with no incidence of sway in just 14 months.

Don't understand why someone that likes what they have would switch just because someone else likes what they have. If it works it works, Period !

Thank you for sharing.

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Ok, here’s my 2c worth.
The most important part of sway control is to have an inherently stable setup. Proper weight distribution in the trailer and proper hitch setup... not talked about too much is how much of the tongue weight gets transferred to the front TV wheels. If you’re overhitched, then too much weight goes up front..and you end up with an unstable setup. If your trailer is loaded too heavily toward the back, it will be likewise unstable. By unstable I mean once sway starts the oscillations grow until you’re out of control.

Start with a stable setup, drive sensibly and most anti sway systems will work just fine.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Getting stability is the important bit. Without that you have no expectation of safe towing.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Ok, here’s my 2c worth.

The most important part of sway control is to have an inherently stable setup. Proper weight distribution in the trailer and proper hitch setup... not talked about too much is how much of the tongue weight gets transferred to the front TV wheels. If you’re overhitched, then too much weight goes up front..and you end up with an unstable setup. If your trailer is loaded too heavily toward the back, it will be likewise unstable. By unstable I mean once sway starts the oscillations grow until you’re out of control.

Start with a stable setup, drive sensibly and most anti sway systems will work just fine.

I agree, thank you for the reminder!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. Getting stability is the important bit. Without that you have no expectation of safe towing.

I agree, thanks for your feedback!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #75
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
Has anyone made the switch from the equalizer hitch to the pro pride hitch? If so, were you pleased? Also, any guidance or advice you could give me would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Greg
Yes. ProPride replaced an Ezy hitch with WD and 'sway brake/control'.

I have posts on this forum.. good ... and difficult about ProPride. Thumbs up to ProPride... I have even rebuilt our ProPride ...

The improved handling (proven) and my personal experience with improved safety (proven) for me.. and my wife.

My wife can tow.. no matter where... she can concentrate on navigation on our trip.. without concern of hitch or sway issue. With the Ezy, there was some oscillation (sway)... and the sway brake was able to decelerate the sway, but not eliminate in some conditions like interstate/4 lane roads.

Aggressive and sudden evasive moves are stable and controllable. Just drive the truck..

Just our experience.. and Sean rocks with service..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Yes. ProPride replaced an Ezy hitch with WD and 'sway brake/control'.

I have posts on this forum.. good ... and difficult about ProPride. Thumbs up to ProPride... I have even rebuilt our ProPride ...

The improved handling (proven) and my personal experience with improved safety (proven) for me.. and my wife.

My wife can tow.. no matter where... she can concentrate on navigation on our trip.. without concern of hitch or sway issue. With the Ezy, there was some oscillation (sway)... and the sway brake was able to decelerate the sway, but not eliminate in some conditions like interstate/4 lane roads.

Aggressive and sudden evasive moves are stable and controllable. Just drive the truck..

Just our experience.. and Sean rocks with service..

Thank you for sharing!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
I have not had an Equalizer but, almost every other configuration.

I was waiting for at least 10k miles before my input on the ProPride. We are at about 7500 miles now and this seemed appropriate in this thread.

I have towed with MANY (over 8 different) WD hitches from 1977 Prowlers to my current 2016 AS International.

What I can say after the 7500 is it is the BEST WD/Sway control I have ever used, period.

In winds 35mph+ no problem, Semi truck passing bow wave, hardly noticeable.

Until you have ACTUALLY owned and used a ProPride you are limited to your “best” and “ why change” system you have.

I have changed, it was night and day difference. I will NEVER tow without it , regardless of trailer manufacturers.

The stability and confidence of control is not something that can be easily quantified verbally. You need to experience it.

I went by reading MANY posts from people that actually switched and what they experienced. Those that have not switched of course what they have is the best, after-all they bought it right?

Well I have owned most others and I can say I will never tow another trailer without a ProPride again !
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have an Equalizer and am very happy with it. That said, I will never trash the HA or PP as they are very good hitches and have a very dedicated following.

I really believe what KK4YZ posted. Every TV/Trailer combination is different. Some are very stable while others are not. Just too many variables to say that all will be fine with any one particular hitch. I have over 40K miles towing with my combination, all of which have been without white knuckle experiences. High winds, steep mountain passes, passing semi trucks and steep downhill stretches not to mention a couple of near panic stops. Never felt threatened, no sway and it is easy to hookup regardless of incline.

What I have trouble with is what was posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
...snip...

Forget about the money!!! Keep you and your family safe!
You need the best hitch!
We recommend Propride. ...snip...

This "either/or" position is what is tearing our country apart. Either you step up and get a PP or.....you are putting your family at risk. Either you get what I have or....you are going to kill your kids. What an amazing statement.

Again, I am not against the PP or HA hitches out there. If mine didn't work for me I would certainly look into one of these. The issue here is, my Equalizer does work for me so I will pass on moving "up". I am not closing doors though and if I go big some day I will have to reassess. I would just like to see us stop using fear as a motivator to join any particular club. And don't forget that if you leave your fridge running you are going to blow up. Such silly arguments.

Good Luck with your search.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I have an Equalizer and am very happy with it. That said, I will never trash the HA or PP as they are very good hitches and have a very dedicated following.

I really believe what KK4YZ posted. Every TV/Trailer combination is different. Some are very stable while others are not. Just too many variables to say that all will be fine with any one particular hitch. I have over 40K miles towing with my combination, all of which have been without white knuckle experiences. High winds, steep mountain passes, passing semi trucks and steep downhill stretches not to mention a couple of near panic stops. Never felt threatened, no sway and it is easy to hookup regardless of incline.

What I have trouble with is what was posted here.

This "either/or" position is what is tearing our country apart. Either you step up and get a PP or.....you are putting your family at risk. Either you get what I have or....you are going to kill your kids. What an amazing statement.

Again, I am not against the PP or HA hitches out there. If mine didn't work for me I would certainly look into one of these. The issue here is, my Equalizer does work for me so I will pass on moving "up". I am not closing doors though and if I go big some day I will have to reassess. I would just like to see us stop using fear as a motivator to join any particular club. And don't forget that if you leave your fridge running you are going to blow up. Such silly arguments.

Good Luck with your search.
Totally agree with this comment.
I have only the experience of towing with no weight distribution and towing with an equalizer.
About 50 k miles with an egualizer and never any sway issue. I have felt the push when a semi passes. No sway. I have felt the same push without a trailer.
So I have no reason to switch and I love my family and my dogs.
There I've said it.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
It has been my opinion consistently not to trash other people's equipment.
However that salient point escapes the Pro Pride crowd inspite the fact that the vast majority of trailers out there aren't using ProPride and are not swaying into heaven by the thousands daily.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote