Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I had a fancy hitch......I sold it and went to the Reese duel cam....ram...6.7..2500....13..31 Classic
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I don't have the various tow/hitch experience as many of the responders do on this thread. We purchased a 2018 30' FC Bunk this past April. While doing my research on what I would need before purchasing the AS the hitch was of course on the list. I spent a number of hours on Youtube and various groups looking at the comments, experiences, etc. I ended up going with ProPride after all my snooping around and am very happy with the choice. I have a GMC 3500 HD which can tow a mountain (not quite, but close) so had the TV covered. I think the ProPride and TV are a great combination and after 5 long distance trips 500 miles plus we've had no issues with sway or other as people say 'white knuckled' tow experiences. These were trips over the Cascades, we live in Western WA state so had all the uphill steep grades and downhill grades to deal with a well as semi trucks (I-90 is a main interstate) and not one issue. I did have to adjust the bolts when I added a Leer cap and a Deck Bed storage system which added about 4 - 500 lbs. of weight to the bed.

With that said and my rainbow and unicorns experience I have read on this forums others who just couldn't get the ProPride dialed in and went with another option. Not sure what the root cause of those issues were but seems there usually is a solution and Sean is great on the customer service end.

As I've said on other threads, do your homework/research. Look at the videos, even talk to different vendors then make your decision. Try and not to make it on price point if you can. If we can spend $$$ on an AS don't go cheap on safety or peace of mind. Others say ProPride owners tend to say that if you don't go with PP 'it's the end of world' or 'ProPride or die (something like that). That is my opinion is BS to make those comments since I haven't seen them in all my research before buying.

Good luck and hope you get what works for you!

Hoagy
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #23
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If a ProPride won't fit your trailer, call Hensley, they will be glad give you their application and spec recommendations. I have used Hensley for 15 years. Both hitches are camparable in performance.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

marysville , Ohio
Hitchesp

I had a Eazy-Lift hitch with weight distribution and friction plates. It was a white knuckle experience in high winds and semis passing. Purchased used Hensley and it is awesome. Had 45 to 50 MPH WINDOWS IN Wyoming on I-80 and it was smooth. Propride or Hensley are outstanding hitches and with no white knuckling.
frotow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Switch from Equilizer to ProPride

Both ProPride and Hensley Manufacturing hitches utilize a Jim Hensley trapezoid linkage design. The ProPride is the latest iteration of Hensley’s design.
Now the opinion part:
I prefer the way the ProPride version installs, the easily adjustable stinger assembly, and the sheer strength of the ProPride construction. I also had a super customer service experience with Sean. I’m an engineer, can ask a lot of questions, and am a pain in the butt when it comes to understanding technology. Sean answered all my questions, even an embarrassing one with grace, accuracy, and patience. I appreciate that approach very deeply.
The ProPride totally eliminated any hint of sway, hooks up easily, backs with no issues, and easily adjusts weight distribution using jacks. If it disappeared off my Airstream tomorrow, I’d be immediately buying another one before I even move the AS around the block from the storage facility.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Sure wish I could go back to ProPride. Sean, any ideas? The towers block my main storage compartment and I am a bit concerned about add’l tongue weight. The 2018 Classic 33 is already 1,175, incl. batteries and LP.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Both ProPride and Hensley Manufacturing hitches utilize a Jim Hensley trapezoid linkage design. The ProPride is the latest iteration of Hensley’s design.
Now the opinion part:
I prefer the way the ProPride version installs, the easily adjustable stinger assembly, and the sheer strength of the ProPride construction. I also had a super customer service experience with Sean. I’m an engineer, can ask a lot of questions, and am a pain in the butt when it comes to understanding technology. Sean answered all my questions, even an embarrassing one with grace, accuracy, and patience. I appreciate that approach very deeply.
The ProPride totally eliminated any hint of sway, hooks up easily, backs with no issues, and easily adjusts weight distribution using jacks. If it disappeared off my Airstream tomorrow, I’d be immediately buying another one before I even move the AS around the block from the storage facility.

Thank you for your feedback!

WBCCI #8996
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Switch from Equilizer to ProPride

Ron, look into the WD strap tensioners on the ProPride website instead of the jacks. They are lighter than the jack assemblies. They have a few limits, but they do not block anything on the front of the A-frame.
Search around for details on the forums. The crux of the limit is that the straps do not push down on the ends of the WD bars, which is sometimes handy when hitching up on unlevel ground.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagy_007 View Post
I don't have the various tow/hitch experience as many of the responders do on this thread. We purchased a 2018 30' FC Bunk this past April. While doing my research on what I would need before purchasing the AS the hitch was of course on the list. I spent a number of hours on Youtube and various groups looking at the comments, experiences, etc. I ended up going with ProPride after all my snooping around and am very happy with the choice. I have a GMC 3500 HD which can tow a mountain (not quite, but close) so had the TV covered. I think the ProPride and TV are a great combination and after 5 long distance trips 500 miles plus we've had no issues with sway or other as people say 'white knuckled' tow experiences. These were trips over the Cascades, we live in Western WA state so had all the uphill steep grades and downhill grades to deal with a well as semi trucks (I-90 is a main interstate) and not one issue. I did have to adjust the bolts when I added a Leer cap and a Deck Bed storage system which added about 4 - 500 lbs. of weight to the bed.

With that said and my rainbow and unicorns experience I have read on this forums others who just couldn't get the ProPride dialed in and went with another option. Not sure what the root cause of those issues were but seems there usually is a solution and Sean is great on the customer service end.

As I've said on other threads, do your homework/research. Look at the videos, even talk to different vendors then make your decision. Try and not to make it on price point if you can. If we can spend $$$ on an AS don't go cheap on safety or peace of mind. Others say ProPride owners tend to say that if you don't go with PP 'it's the end of world' or 'ProPride or die (something like that). That is my opinion is BS to make those comments since I haven't seen them in all my research before buying.

Good luck and hope you get what works for you!

Hoagy

Thank you for your insight!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
Has anyone made the switch from the equalizer hitch to the pro pride hitch? If so, were you pleased? Also, any guidance or advice you could give me would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Greg
I doubt it will increase your TV horsepower or payload.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #31
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Sure wish I could go back to ProPride. Sean, any ideas? The towers block my main storage compartment and I am a bit concerned about add’l tongue weight. The 2018 Classic 33 is already 1,175, incl. batteries and LP.
Strap-Tek weight distribution system in place of the jacks. However, the storage compartment should open to with about 1-2" off the top of the frame with the jacks installed.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Thanks for all the kind words above everyone!

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 07-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The ProPride is the latest iteration of Hensley’s design.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martee View Post
Regarding your statement on friction, is there any specific reports, or technical studies that you could perhaps reference.

Nope. And at the risk of being rude, I am not going to pull out the google index and spoon feed it to you. Google it. Read through the hits and watch the videos like I and many others have. The proof is in the math. And in the real world experience of those who own a projection hitch.
DRPREECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Human nature tells me you'll never find a person who will say they went from a Equalizer to a Propride and it didn't change anything.
If you spend $3000 for a hitch, you WILL feel a benefit.
It's why drugs are tested in double blind studies.

Now, I'm not criticizing the PP, it undoubtedly is a good hitch.
I notice hitches as I'm driving and most trailers except RV's have NO WD hitch or sway control.
You'd think the highways would be littered with overturned horse trailers, boat trailers, and cargo trailers, but they're not.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Human nature tells me you'll never find a person who will say they went from a Equalizer to a Propride and it didn't change anything.
If you spend $3000 for a hitch, you WILL feel a benefit.
It's why drugs are tested in double blind studies.

And, there's physics...

It also explains why rounded trailers go through the air better than square trailers.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 07-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I doubt it will increase your TV horsepower or payload.

I agree with that but I have more concern with stability as I approach the upper limits

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We have had a Reese w anti sway bars, it does not stop sway! None of the other hitches on the market stop sway except Hensley and Propride.

We have had a Hensley and we would still be using Hensley except the company was not there for us when we needed help.

Now Sean at Propride came to the rescue and helped us with the parts we needed. We later purchased a new Propride which we have on the rig now. There is no sway. Sean will help you with your questions and needs.

Forget about the money!!! Keep you and your family safe!
You need the best hitch!
We recommend Propride.

I realize you are not convinced but let me say only that if you value your life you will never regret installing a Propride hitch.
The truck and the trailer are nothing without the hitch.
You have spent a great deal on the truck and the trailer, invest in a hitch that will protect you and your family. Your driving will be a great deal less stressful and you arrive at your destination safely.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
This subject has been discussed ad nauseum and will never be resolved.
After 21 years of towing with no problems, and the last 12 with an Equal-i-zer, and no white knuckle experience I wouldn't change.
The excuse that you paid x $ for your trailer and therefore must pay x $ for a hitch makes no sense.
Might as well relate the amount of $ spent on the tow vehicle to the $ spent on the trailer.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:50 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
This subject has been discussed ad nauseum and will never be resolved.
After 21 years of towing with no problems, and the last 12 with an Equal-i-zer, and no white knuckle experience I wouldn't change.
The excuse that you paid x $ for your trailer and therefore must pay x $ for a hitch makes no sense.
Might as well relate the amount of $ spent on the tow vehicle to the $ spent on the trailer.

Honestly, I really don’t care what others use for their hitch. Or tow vehicle. Or trailer. Or toothpaste. When asked I don’t try to convince anyone to use what I use. I just state my opinion, throw in the facts, and let them choose. I also view some risks as being too great to not do my best to mitigate them.
DRPREECE is offline   Reply With Quote