Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 03:09 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
Sway control setting

Hello,

I wish to install the Sway control and I've seen I need 24" between the ball from the mount ball to the ball from the trailer.

But for the setting... ?

I have a Curt sway control

https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._17200_INS.PDF

But I don't understand how I have to tighten the handle... very strong ? (I think they say "tighten firmly")

Can you help me ?

Thank you very much,

Gaël.
Gaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I tighten mine very tight. Try to get the handle parallel with the unit. The tension is adjusted with the tightening screw as the directions say. The handle is used to loosen the device so it can be removed and installed easily. I have a large trailer so I increased the tension on the screw. I also have two sway controls, one on each side which is recommended for trailers over 25 feet. So to answer your question I tighten the handle very tight by hand only and try to leave it parallel to the sway control. Hope this helps.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:44 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
The fellow at the dealership doing the predelivery inspection with me, said to tighten it as tight as you can get it, using one finger. This is more than snug, but less than if you used your whole hand.

I've had the same questions as you--what's the right way to do this?

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I've always used my whole hand and tighten it very firmly.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:25 AM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I tighten as tight as it will go while still leaving the handle close to parallel to the body.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:20 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
ok, thank you very much, I'll do as you say, so very tight.

Here, nobody can advize me... ! No dealership...

It exists 2 or 3 airstream restoration garage but... they repair Airstream as they think.... no necessarily as original or by the right way.
And the last year a dealership for new airstream but I'm not sure they know many things about it...

Thank you again.
Gaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

I've always tightened the handle about as much as I could by hand, then leaving it parallel to the bar. I think the handle is not large enough to overtighten it by hand as long as a cheater pipe isn't used to twist it some more. The part with the handle is only to secure the top part of the bar to turn it "on" or "off" as it were. As noted above, the actual part that is supposed to increase the anti-sway pressure is the adjusting nut on the bottom, which the manufacturer usually says to leave alone because it is tightened properly at the factory. However, as the friction brake material is worn down, it may take some adjustment (tightening) a lot of miles later.

I, too, use two of these sway bars on my 28-foot trailer, which completely eliminates any uncomfortable push/pull caused by 18-wheelers flying by me at 80 mph on the Interstate.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:43 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
These devices "resist" sway starting, granted, but they also resist the trailer returning to center.

A pair is better than one.

So when one finally gets a decent hitch the pair make good doorstops, inside and out.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
These devices "resist" sway starting, granted, but they also resist the trailer returning to center.

A pair is better than one.

So when one finally gets a decent hitch the pair make good doorstops, inside and out.
It's amazing how some folks who've invested a few grand in a superhitch can't stop casting aspersions on traditional hitches which cost a small fraction as much.

Yet, the simple, proven designs of the traditional hitches contunue to dominate the market by providing excellent towing capablities without the additional complexity and expense.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:36 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Why buy an expensive trailer and tow vehicle then miss the boat by purchasing an obsolete hitch?

Focus on price is intentionally misleading. Indeed, it is that old saw, "knowing the price of everything, and the value of nothing".
Old 06-24-2016, 04:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Why buy an expensive trailer and tow vehicle then miss the boat by purchasing an obsolete hitch?

Focus on price is intentionally misleading. Indeed, it is that old saw, "knowing the price of everything, and the value of nothing".
Some of your comments are really demeaning.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
99% of the hitches on the market seem to be of the "obsolete" type. The owners seem to be happy though and get a safe and comfortable towing experience. I am personally tired of a few PPP hitch owners' incessant pitch for what they own. It's certainly not helpful, and, IMO, creates a bad image for the product they are advertising.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

We bought the HaHa because of the incessant advertising of forum members....thank you all.

TETO

Bob
Old 06-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bob, you shared experiences with the Hensley/ProPride design, as well as the satisfaction of many other members led us to get this hitch for our Airstream.

Thanks to all who recommended it, best money we have spent on our Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Some of your comments are really demeaning.

Something inaccurate about the response?
Old 06-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
99% of the hitches on the market seem to be of the "obsolete" type. The owners seem to be happy though and get a safe and comfortable towing experience. I am personally tired of a few PPP hitch owners' incessant pitch for what they own. It's certainly not helpful, and, IMO, creates a bad image for the product they are advertising.

Nearly the same percentage are incorrectly hitched.

You're making the case for, "ignorance is bliss"?

That, "what is best" (even, "what is true") is a trivial concern?

If one thinks a Hensley style hitch is gimmick, then purchase a used one. Paint and refurbish it. Set it up in several configurations of applied force. Get the scale numbers for each lash up. Run it hard at 55+ across lanes of traffic, throttle-on, cranking that wheel hard over.

You don't like the result, come back and post as to exactly why. Then sell it for a profit.

On a yearly basis, I see more Airstreams on the road than almost all the rest of you combined. Of every two dozen it may be that 3-4 are even in the ballpark as to being correctly hitched. And that's seen from travel in the opposite direction.

Even the basics aren't done. Nose-down Airstream is the most common sighting.

Maybe that's more comfortable . . . .
Old 06-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
And yet they travel down the road just fine, without your help.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Another thread hijacked by the pro pride people. The op only asked about a sway control adjustment.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

I'm guilty too, I also have opinions about things I know nothing about.....:roll eyes:

Bob