Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #1

1962 22' Safari
Orange , California
Rivet sway control and weight distribution for 22' safari?

I am new to these forums and have not found an answer to my question, so forgive me if this has been asked before...

I have a 1962 22' Safari and think I need a weight distribution and sway control system (not sure). The tow vehicle is a 2004 Toyota Sequoia and I replaced the AS axle last March (rides a little smoother now). Have read up a little on the reese dual cam and equal-i-zer systems, but have no idea if these are the right for my AS. Does anyone have a recommendation on product (or if a weight distribution/sway control system is necessary on a 22 ft trailer)?

I am looking for something that is easy to use and works well for the $$$, not interested in overkill.

I've had my AS for almost a year and have traveled easily over a couple thousand miles and am concerned with the trailer's vibration, as I have popped a few rivets and have had to reinforce the overhead cabinetry (due to separation). She handles best at about 55-60 mph (less up/down and side-to-side movement), which can be frustrating on LONG trips...would like to safely pick up approx 10 mph- is this a reasonable expectation?

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff
JeffVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome!

Hi Jeff, Welcome to the forums. Do you have pictures of your Safari? We all like pictures here. Take a look at this section. Towing. Allot has been posted on this subject. Good luck!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #3

1962 22' Safari
Orange , California
Thanks Lee! I will check out the Towing section. I uploaded a few pics last night...will add interior pics later.

Jeff
Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Jeff, I have a 1968 28' AS and tow with a 2008 Sequoia. I towed it home without the sway control and equalizer. It did fine.

But I use the basic Reese set up. It makes the trailer and TV ride level and I have no sway in the winds. I would not go over 500 lb bars maybe less, over that will make a hard ride on the trailer, and you will have a great ride.

My basic set up takes 2-3 minutes to hook up once the trailer is on the ball.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Alright Jeff, What's the story on the wagon. Are you going to tow with that? It would make a sweet combo.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

A vintage 22' Airstream being towed by a late model Sequoia may require only minimal WD/Anti-sway equipment. If the tongue weight of the trailer doesn't make the tow vehicle squat more than an inch or so, WD may be overkill. Some sway control may be beneficial in high cross wind situations.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #7

1962 22' Safari
Orange , California
Thanks for the advice thus far guys. I have a good couple of inches of "TV squat", nothing major but it definitelysquats, my main concern is the sway and the wear and tear on the trailer (and my desire to speed things up a bit on the road!). I'll look into a basic Reese device.

About the Nova wagon...no towing with this, a friend of mine re-built it, it was just a good photo op
Old 01-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I would weigh the trailer & tongue. You need 10-15% of your trailer weight on the tongue. A 3000# trailer should have 3-400# of tongue weight. A light tongue will cause a lot of handling problems. adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffVH View Post
I am new to these forums and have not found an answer to my question, so forgive me if this has been asked before...

I have a 1962 22' Safari and think I need a weight distribution and sway control system (not sure). The tow vehicle is a 2004 Toyota Sequoia and I replaced the AS axle last March (rides a little smoother now). Have read up a little on the reese dual cam and equal-i-zer systems, but have no idea if these are the right for my AS. Does anyone have a recommendation on product (or if a weight distribution/sway control system is necessary on a 22 ft trailer)?

I am looking for something that is easy to use and works well for the $$$, not interested in overkill.

I've had my AS for almost a year and have traveled easily over a couple thousand miles and am concerned with the trailer's vibration, as I have popped a few rivets and have had to reinforce the overhead cabinetry (due to separation). She handles best at about 55-60 mph (less up/down and side-to-side movement), which can be frustrating on LONG trips...would like to safely pick up approx 10 mph- is this a reasonable expectation?

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff
You should use a Reese 550 to 600 pound dual cam, or straight line hitch, as it is sometimes called.

Since your new to the Forums, I have investigated and proved what caused more than 1000 loss of control accidents, specifically towing an Airstream trailer.

Towing your Airstream with just a ball, is begging for an accident.

There will be articles in 2 magazines that are familiar to Airstream owners, that I have written, based on facts, regarding hitches and opinions that are usually myth's..

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jeff, your description of the ride with up and down and side to side movement sounds like you do need a WD hitch. The 2004 Sequoia was built on the 1st generation Tundra platform and I think the 2008 (purman's) is on the 2nd gen platform. Either Sequoia is a sweet ride. Your Sequoia is plenty of truck for your Airstream.

I have an Equalizer hitch and have had no problems with it. It is also easy to hitch and unhitch. Reese and Equalizer are very common WD hitches used for lighter trailers. Some may recommend the Hensley, but that seems to be maximum overkill for your set up.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
sway control and weight distribution for 22' safari?

Greetings Jeff!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

I think that you would be pleased with the performance of the Reese Straight-Line Hitch with Dual Cam Sway Control. I use this setup with all three of my tow vehicles -- 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 Convertible, 1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible, and 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban; and both of my trailers (each trailer/tow vehicle combination requires its own weight distribution bars and hitch adjustment). The key to satisfaction with this hitch relys upon two factors:
  • First, the coach must be carefully loaded to insure that something between 12 and 15% of the total coach weight rides on the hitch.
  • Second, the hitch needs to be adjusted properly including:
    • Ball height which means obtaining the correct drop or rise draw-bar to suit your tow vehicle.
    • Ball angle is correctly adjusted to insure that weight distribution bars are parallel with the tongue of the coach
    • Dual cam levers are properly installed to match the type and length of weight distribution bars
    • Tension on the weight distribution bars is such that the amount of suspension drop on the tow vehicle is similar on the front and rear of the tow vehicle -- and the coach is level when the rig is parked on a level surface.
Good luck with your rig!

Kevin

P.S.: Instructions for installationand adjustment of the Reese Straight-Line hitch should be included in the package with the hitch, or they can be downloaded from the Reese Hitch website.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #12

1962 22' Safari
Orange , California
I'd like to thank all of your for the responses! OK...Looks like I need to determine my trailer's tonge weight and seems that most of you recommend Reese Straight-Line Dual Cam (still not sure what the advantage is over the equal-i-zer?).
Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffVH View Post
I'd like to thank all of your for the responses! OK...Looks like I need to determine my trailer's tonge weight and seems that most of you recommend Reese Straight-Line Dual Cam (still not sure what the advantage is over the equal-i-zer?).
The Reese will provide vertical movement without damaging the trailer.

The Equalizer, is very rigid, and because it will allow a very small amount of vertical movement, then the road shock, is transfered to the front of the trailer, far more than it should.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, leveling, sway