Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
sway control?

I'm pulling a 25' 1971 Tradewind w/ our F250 4x4 crewcab pickup, which is nearly as long as the trailer (20') and weighs 7100 lbs empty, as compared to the 4400 GVW for the trailer. I read a lot of comments here about sway control being necessary. I pulled the trailer home w/o the Reese hitch I got w/ it because it was set up too high for my truck - I wanted the trailer level. There were no sway issues - is using the Reese worthwhile? I've pulled all sorts of gear up to 8500 lbs or so w/ this truck out to Burning Man, and never had any sway issues (the wheel base matches the "Land Yacht" title on the trailer, as does the turning circle!).

I don't have any strong feelings about this, but simpler is usually better in my book, so if this isn't needed, I'll happily leave it at home. On the other hand, if this is a big win for safety I'll run w/ this in the future. I'm also considering putting the batteries up there, and not using the anti-sway hitch will make things fit more easily....

Thanks -

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The deal is, you usually won't need it, but when you do, it'll be too late to stop and put it on.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
_

. , .
bart...

here are the visuals (and debates) to support the need regardless of mule...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...rol-17986.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have a long bed dually with a crew cab and have pulled my 63 Overlander for about 5 years without the Reese. It is a big truck and I have pulled a lot of miles. I do not feel it is necessary with this combination. I have both a Equalizer and a dual cam Reese available. I use the Reese when I pull the 31 foot 77 trailer. My wife finds the feel of stability more reassuring when in heavy truck traffic on narrow Interstates going through Chicago.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The deal is, you usually won't need it, but when you do, it'll be too late to stop and put it on.
DITTO
Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, or as a mechanic might tell you: That tool would be worth a thousand dollars when you need it, and you don't have it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
DITTO
Ditto Ditto

I have a 71 TW and sway is not as noticable as longer AS I have towed. The way I look at it it's safety equipment to stop a dangerous fishtailing situation any trailer can get into.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
1) Do you believe that you will ever end up with a light tongue weight situation because the trailer was inadvertently loaded tail-heavy

2) Do you have the kind of driving experience and steady nerves that would allow you to pull over to the side of the road without hitting the brakes if you blew a front tire

3) Will someone besides you be driving and if so will they have those same steady nerves

4) Are you just taking this rig to and from your favorite seasonal site at a nearby campground or are you going places

5) Do you like to drive fast on the freeways are are you content to putt along

6) Are you going to be driving in parts of the country where high winds are common

7) Are you going to be driving in mountainous regions where long or steep downgrades must be traversed

8) Are you 100% confident that your electric brakes are going to be there every time you need them
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
All trailers will exhibit sway at speed; the idea is to get the threshold at which that sway onset occurs higher than what you'd normally ever drive. Only towing 50% of your tow vehicle's weight will be plenty enough to throw you into an uncontrollable situation if your trailer starts pushing on the rear of your tow vehicle (sway). If you're careful about loading your trailer (proper tongue weight) you'll probably never have an issue... the key word being "probably". But, even the best balanced trailer behind a 4 door, long wheelbase, dually pickup can exhibit sway at speed under the right (wrong?) set of circumstances; e.g. down hill on a reduced-traction surface, in a side wind when passed by a truck.

If you have an opportunity to deal with the potential sway onset or at least minimize it to the extent possible before it occurs (like by using sway control) then to me, it makes sense to use it.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Couldn't say it better. Will add, though, that when you get sued it is waaaay to late to put it on. Accidents happen and it is prudent to be prepared.

Short trailers with single axles can get squirrelly real quick...especially if the rear is loaded too heavy. I know from experience.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
This will bring a lot of flack but......I tow with a F350( way to much truck) and don't feel or see the need for W/D or sway hitches. On my trailer I mean. But I drive slow 60-65 mph. I downshift on down grades. If you want to be safe then by all means install disc brakes on your trailer etc. I saw on this forum a picture somebody took of their speedo while driving 85 mph or so while towing the Airstream. If you drive like that then use sway control and get LOTS of insurance. With your truck if you drive a prudent speed and load your trailer properly(10-15% tongue weight) I feel you will be fine. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
This will bring a lot of flack but......I tow with a F350( way to much truck) and don't feel or see the need for W/D or sway hitches. On my trailer I mean. But I drive slow 60-65 mph. I downshift on down grades. If you want to be safe then by all means install disc brakes on your trailer etc. I saw on this forum a picture somebody took of their speedo while driving 85 mph or so while towing the Airstream. If you drive like that then use sway control and get LOTS of insurance. With your truck if you drive a prudent speed and load your trailer properly(10-15% tongue weight) I feel you will be fine. Adios, John
John,

It's not what you do, but what others may do in front of you, or an obstacle on the road, that forces you to quickly change lanes.

In spite of your self assurance, I can only suggest that you carry tons of liability insurance, as well as inform all your passengers, that you are towing a travel trailer, out of well known industry standards.

Sooner or later, your opinion will quickly change.

Having investigated many loss of control accidents, involving towing an Airstream, I assure you, that you working on being a statistic.

Not what you want to hear, but for the sake of innocent people, something you should digest.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Andy,

Do you have any statistics on sway-related accidents? I've tried to find some and most of what I find are accidents involving hitch separation, which appear to be much more common (perhaps because there are so many small utility and boat trailers on the road, 16 feet or less, where sway is really not a factor).
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
_

. , .
oh dear lord here we go AGAIN...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ire-47613.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
What I would like to see is a requirement for those towing without sway control to display a larger warning sign on the rear of the trailer, similar to the slow vehicle warning signs. I can remember three separate occasions (two when I was towing a travel trailer) where I have had to preform rather drastic evasive maneuvers to avoid some one in front of me who was in the process of losing control of their trailer. Two were large utility trailers and one a boat trailer. In none of the incidents was I following very close, but once they start swerving all over road they also slow quickly.
regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
examine_illustration

While reading about an accident in a recent thread, I had also
noticed concerning movements when 18 wheelers passed me
going in the same direction.
Attached Images
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
You may not need weight distribution on your truck. The stiff suspension will make it difficult to affectively transfer weight to the front. However, you can get sway hitches that do not distribute weight. Not being an expert, I can't tell you that you do or do not need sway control, but if it were me, I'd feel a lot safer with the insurance of having it than not. Like I said earlier (my personal opinion), when a law suit is filed is too late to install it.

Just my $.02.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
If you get hit with a blast of air from a passing big rig...as illustrated
in post#16 above.......
Old 01-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethowens View Post
If you get hit with a blast of air from a passing big rig...as illustrated
in post#16 above.......
Ken.

A little trick that works very well, in that situation, is to "ever so slightly" apply the trailer brakes by manual operation of the brake controller, as the truck/trailer is over taking your rig.

With a little practice, you can get it down to a fine art.

Also, should something really go wrong, since your hand is on the controller, partially apply trailer brakes, you could if need be, apply all the trailer braking, without having to touch the brakes on the TV.

That little trick, worked very well for me.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Thanks Andy! I've been around this subject already. I joined a bit for
the new members.