Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2003, 09:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sway Control

I am quite new at this, so would like some imput as to the type of sway control works best ( hooking, unhooking, etc). I am pulling ( only a couple of short trips so far ) a 19' Bambi with a equalizer hitch & would feel more at ease with a sway control installed. I have been looking at the Reese Dual Sway control vs a friction type & there is a bit of difference in the price, but figure there must also be a difference in performance. Your imput would be appreciated. BTW Spring can not be far off, supposed to be above 0 this week.
Thanks,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I would recommend the Reese Dual Sway Control hitch setup over a friction type. What kind of tow vehicle are you using that you do not feel comfortable towing the small trailer?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sway control

I'm pulling with a Ram 1500. Pulled last year a couple of times with a Ranger, knowing that I was upgrading to a bigger truck. I don't anticipate problems with that size trailer, but to be on the safe side, thought I'd go with a sway control.

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

Old 03-10-2003, 09:28 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Reese friction sway bar

I use a Reese friction sway bar for my International which is quite a bit heavier than the Bambi. I couldn't ask for more sway resistance; I can simply ignore cross winds and passing 18-wheelers.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sway control

When I talked to the dealer they recommended a friction type, however I don't feel they have the experiance most of you people have had. While the Bambi is somewhat lighter, I am also concerned because of the weight, it might get tossed around more than heavier types. Being new I would like to also be at ease pulling when it's windy, etc.
Thanks

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

Old 03-10-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Stability

I can only tell you that my truck-trailer combination is much more crosswind and 18-wheeler stable with the friction bar than my truck is by itself. Whenever I drop the trailer at the end of a trip, the truck feels squirrley until I get used to it again.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-11-2003, 12:05 AM   #7
APB
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Escondido , California
Sway control

I use a dual cam reese with my F250. Sure tracks nice and doesn't move around much in wind or when passing trucks etc. It does however make the ride stiffer. Makes me wonder if I have the best bars.

Bluegrass is flat picking good!
APB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 06:50 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anything less than 20' (single axle) friction sway control is perfect. The dual cam is a bit overkill, but would also work.

For trailers over 20' (single, double or triple axle) dual cam would be the way to go.

I talked with 5 different shops before I bought my hitch and they all told me the same thing.

I also have a Bambi and there is ZERO sway with the friction contol bar.

I use Reese everthing back there too.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:40 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I use the Reese Dual Cam sway control. One of the benefits over friction types is that it needs no adjustment based on towing conditions.

The other thought is that while the friction type may be ok with the specific trailer you are buying, if you upgrade to a larger unit, you might wish to have a better control.

A lot of your hitching equipment can be carried forward to future vehicles so I tend to make the investment up front (within reason). My current hitch configuration includes a hitch bar and adjustable ball mount that was purchased in 1982. The Reese Dual cam unit was purchased with my SOB trailer in 1996. I've updated the hitch ball and the spring bars (based on heavier tongue weights). Of course the receiver has changed with every tow vehicle.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:27 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I use the Reese friction sway control (one) towing my Bambi with a short wheelbase Land Rover. Tow on interstates, mountain roads, windy conditions and have not had any problem with sway.

I would like to ask others who use friction sway (Pahaska, Silvertwinkie) how they determine how tight to adjust the sway bar? I'm not real sure I am doing this right.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
FYI-There is a new High Performance Dual Cam out from Reese for 2003 that may be worth a look. You can see it at www.reeseproducts.com

Rick,
I had the same question about the Friction Control tension. The unit is preset from the factory. According to their literature, turn the adjustment lever around as far as it will go until the lever is parallel to the ground. It gets pretty tight. Loosen when in town traffic or a lot of cornering or when backing up. The literature for this is alo on the Reese site.
Jace
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:07 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Rick,

I usually tighten it so it's snug, but not totally locked. What I do is tighten it and back it off a bit and that seems to do the trick just fine for me. I have noticed zero sway in all kinds of weather and I'm able to still manuver the trailer without problem.

I'm sure there is a science to it, but this is the way we've done it for over 10 years (previous trailer same sway control).

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:20 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
That's kinda the way I've been doing it, and haven't experienced any sway problems. So, I guess I must be doing it right. I just question myself as to what "snug" means. I am fairly strong, and snug to me is way different than snug to my wife.

Also, I always forget to loosen it when backing up into my storage or a camp site and this has not been a problem, but has made me wonder if I have it tight enough. But, I must as sway is not a problem.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:26 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

I'm using an SOB friction sway control and a Reese equalizer with a 25' twin axel Safari pulled by a '98 Grand Cherokee. I also added helper airbags in the rear. I can still feel the trucks go by, but it's a lot better than without. I am still experimenting with how stiff the sway control should be, as well as how tight the chains should be on the equalizer.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:49 PM   #15
Contributing Member

Passing trucks

Quote:
I can still feel the trucks go by, but it's a lot better than without.
Nothing short of magic will prevent you from feeling the trucks go by. The trucks push a wall of air in front of them that will require a steering correction in any vehicle, towing or not. It's a fact of life. In my case, the truck with trailer is more stable than the truck alone.

I follow the Reese instructions by tightening the sway bar until the handle is parallel with the ground. I never bother releasing it before backing into a site. There is no reason it will be harmed as long as the trailer is not totally jacknifed.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-11-2003, 03:49 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sway control

I appreciate the info on both types friction & dual . I also was thinking " what if " we up size in the future. probably won't, but ----. The friction control sounds as if it takes more attention, what with tightening, looseing in town, backing up. Is the dual cam the same or is it set & forget unless your load changes ?
thanks

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

Old 03-11-2003, 03:52 PM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by JaceBeck
FYI-There is a new High Performance Dual Cam out from Reese for 2003 that may be worth a look. You can see it at www.reeseproducts.com
Went there and looked at all the new 2003 products. I don't see anything new for the Dual Cam. I went to the Dual Cam page and it shows only one available which is the same one I am using.

Do you have any further info?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-11-2003, 03:57 PM   #18

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Sway control

Quote:
Originally posted by A.E. Milliman
I Is the dual cam the same or is it set & forget unless your load changes ?
thanks
The dual cam works on a different principal than a friction control. Once installed it needs no adjustments. Here is a small blurb from the Reese web site.

Jack

Dual Cam Sway Control
PN 26000
This patented product is Reese Products main technique for controlling trailer sway. Unlike the friction sway control, this approach works to control sway from the start rather than just resisting sway once it's begun and it works only when needed. When towing in a straight line, the cams on either side of the trailer A-frame are locked in position. This essentially creates a "rigid" connection between tow vehicle and trailer and minimizes the effects of induced sway caused by high cross-winds or passing vehicles.

The advantage of the dual cam system is its ability to forestall sway in addition to sway resistance. It works to hold down the start of swaying activity while at the same time allowing free and easy vehicle and trailer interaction. Another advantage of the dual cam system is that it's installed on the trailer and therefore doesn't require adjustment every time the towing vehicle and trailer are hooked up, unless hitch weight or tow vehicle loading are changed.

Usually, the cams ride in a detent locked-in position, even on fairly sharp curves. However, when cornering maneuvers are required, the cams automatically slide out of their detent to permit full radius turns. Yet when the maneuver is short and abrupt, like that encountered in the event of a sudden swerve or a wheel dropping off the road, the cams seek a straight-line towing angle that helps the tow vehicle retain control.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-11-2003, 09:12 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Jack,
The new models are on the dual cam page, but you have to scroll down to see it and their new Strait-Line Hitch. I found it by accident. I don't see a whole lot of difference from the Dual Cam that you use, except the frame mounting method. Here is the copy from the webpage. Its P/N 26002.

Dual Cam HIGH PERFORMANCE

This patented product is Reese Products main technique for controlling trailer sway. Unlike the friction sway control, this approach works to control sway from the start rather than just resisting sway once it’s begun. And it works only when needed.

The advantage of the dual cam system is its ability to forestall sway in addition to sway resistance. It works to hold down the start of swaying activity while at the same time allowing free and easy vehicle and trailer interaction. Another advantage of the dual cam system is that it’s installed on the trailer and therefore doesn’t require adjustment every time the towing vehicle and trailer are hooked up, unless hitch weight or tow vehicle loading are changed.

Integrated cams into the spring bars reduce noise

No U-bolts to conflict with bottle racks or other A-frame mounted items

Specific attachment reference points provided

Simple, easy adjustment of centerline

Fits more applications

Improved installation times

Years of extensive field testing

Dual Cam HP Sway Control
PN 26002

Dual Cam HIGH PERFORMANCE
Part No. Description

26002 Hi-Performance sway control
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:28 AM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
Jace,
One thing caught my eye. "No U-bolts to conflict with bottle racks or other A-frame mounted items". That's the biggest issue most new Safari folks have with the Dual-Cam is the U-bolt placement relative to the bottle racks.

My dealer drilled through the rack and I had to raise the tanks slightly to keep the top of the U-bolt from resting on the bottom center of the tank. I also remember that on my SOB the dealer had to relocate the bottle rack to clear the U-bolt.

Thanks for the further info. I just went back and found it.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15