Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Sway Bars - required?

Hello all -

Am contemplating purchasing a 25' CCD and have a question about sway bars.

Are they an absolute necessity?

Our tow vehicle is a Ford F-150 SuperCab 4x4 with an 8' box (5.4L V8) and a heavy-duty suspension package. We're allowed to pull up to 9200 lbs and have a GVWR of I believe 8400 lbs.

We also have a factory-installed trailer tow package.

Is this sufficient to pull this trailer? Our sales rep has recommended a sway bar kit and tow bar kit, for an extra $720.

Does anyone know if the recommendations are overkill or are they absolutely required?

I want to do this properly, but don't want to go overboard all the same.

Thanks very much,

Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
If you are refering to a weight distribution hitch the answer is yes and no. Without one (a WD hitch) you will overload your receiver (most are rated for no more than 500 lbs tongue weight/5000 lbs trailer weight without a WD hitch). The trailer's tongue weight will cause the rear of your truck to sag and will lift the front of the truck which in turn will cause your truck to wander or MUCH WORSE!

With a properly setup hitch the truck & trailer will track much straighter and be MUCH safer to drive.

Since you live in Canada I suggest you contact Can Am RV ( http://canamrv.ca/default.asp ) and let them suggest the correct hitch for your rig.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Michelle,
That is a very capable truck...especially the Ford part I would reccomend a Reese Dual Cam or an Equalizer Hitch (which is what I use on my 31') They have the sway built in. IIRC my Equalizer set me back right around $400 a couple of years ago. And in answer to your orginal question Yes I would go with the sway control/weight distribution hitch.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I'd put a basic WD hitch in the necessity catagory. You can spend as little as $150US on something like the Robins copy of the Ea-Z-Lift design. If set-up properly I don't think you'll experience any problems with such a budget set-up. No doubt a more expensive hitch like the Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer is going to be even better. If that's what you think you'll want might as well spring for the extra cash right now. Add on sway controls, in my opinion are a band-aid approach that in no way can match one of the integrated designs.

It sort of depends on the prices of what are available to you and your budget. Other factors to think about are ground clearance and the "hassle factor" of hitching up. One thing to check carefully is the hitch height. On a budget system you may not get a shank that allows you change the ball height (and angle). If it's fixed and it's correct then all's good. If not, then well you're that other method of attaching things besides rivets

-Bernei
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Let's Get One Thing Straight Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
Hello all -

Am contemplating purchasing a 25' CCD and have a question about sway bars.

Michelle
They are not "sway bars" and they aren't designed to eliminate sway unless used in conjuction with dual can sway control. They are "spring bars" and they are designed for weight distribution as explained in the earlier posts.

My wife calls 'em sway bars too. Drives me nuts.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Oops! Apologies for the incorrect terminology. The salesman kept referring to a Sway Bar by Reese, so I just kept using that term.

Thanks for the tips - I was just wanting to make sure I wasn't purchasing something I didn't need - but now I know it's one of those necessary items. Perfect!

Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote