Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolind View Post
I have a 2020 basecamp x and a equalizer 6k wd with sway and have found it to be a great setup. Stable and decreases the sag on my 2014 taco . You have to be a little creative with the sway bar bracket setup. Let me know if you need more info. I have taken several trips during lockdown and have been very happy with rain, crosswinds and off road trails.

Electronic anti sway:

https://tusonrvbrakes.com/collection...n-sway-control

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1683.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	368023
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Use whatever protection you feel you need for small trailers.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Beaumont , Texas
Re: Andersen Hitch
This hitch is a lite weight anti-sway hitch with load distribution.

Agree, great on my 20' FC, many thousand miles, on second insert (free from company). Do not know if it fits on Basecamp.
bovk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
show me the setup

Hey Rolind - I have read the Equalizer is a good product, was concerned about its compatibility with the basecamp. I have a 20x on order, patiently waiting. I really would like to buy something in advance of receiving the trailer that I can install on the lot before I make the 2 hour drive home. I love to see the pics of your setup. Is the setup something that I can do on the lot? Thoughts?

Thanks

ken
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
I would not attempt to install and set up the hitch at the dealer. I brought mine home on just a ball mounted on the receiver and did the install once I had more time and full access to my tools. The basecamp tows fine wo sway control provided the weather is good and the TV and trailer are empty. I have attaced pics of the sway bar brackets. Notice that the inboard part of the bracket is upside down. The actual propane tank interfered with placement in the usual orientation. I would strongly recommend removal of the propane cover while installing the brackets. You will need a special thin wall socket to attach the ball to the equalizer. Get one from equalizer. I tried others and they just don’t fit. I didnt have a torque wrench with high enough settings for the hitch ball installation, but with a little math, a breaker bar and my body weight, was able to get the correct torque. Sorry about the sideways orientation of the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D10ECD94-37C9-4CF8-BBF4-E01ADF921BCB.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	381290   Click image for larger version

Name:	D166094C-A229-4229-A889-A9D414D02F02.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	503.2 KB
ID:	381291  

Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
thank!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolind View Post
I would not attempt to install and set up the hitch at the dealer. I brought mine home on just a ball mounted on the receiver and did the install once I had more time and full access to my tools. The basecamp tows fine wo sway control provided the weather is good and the TV and trailer are empty. I have attaced pics of the sway bar brackets. Notice that the inboard part of the bracket is upside down. The actual propane tank interfered with placement in the usual orientation. I would strongly recommend removal of the propane cover while installing the brackets. You will need a special thin wall socket to attach the ball to the equalizer. Get one from equalizer. I tried others and they just don’t fit. I didnt have a torque wrench with high enough settings for the hitch ball installation, but with a little math, a breaker bar and my body weight, was able to get the correct torque. Sorry about the sideways orientation of the pics.
Thanks! I was wondering about the propane enclosure, I do see that it looks as though you can get under to get the brackets but your recommendation is to take them off completely for the install, thanks for the tip.

the Anderson is a good $200 cheaper... but I do see there is a concern with this setup, but I have no idea if that applies to the 2021 basecamp 20 model.. Looks like the same creativity you used for the Equalizer is what folks have done with the Anderson..
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The incompatibility with the Atwood 88xxx coupler does not apply after late 2019. It was discontinued. If you're a tinkerer, I have another thread that shows one of many ways to remove the slop from the Atwood coupler and prevent it from damage. Slop in the coupler is detrimental to performance or all sway and weight control set-ups so it is god to address it no mater what style or brand coupler. The Andersen is particularly sensitive to slop.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote