Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 04:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
When towing with an X5 or similar vehicle, on the rear tires only, you'll want extra pressure over the axle load to increase cornering stiffness and reduce over steer tendency. The extra stability will add a margin of safety and improve cornering. Don't add extra pressure to the front, it will be counterproductive.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:19 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Do not use a WDH unless essential. It fixes one issue, but introduces others.

Collyn
Old 08-13-2020, 08:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Collyn, your comment is vague, confusing, incomplete and unhelpful.

What in your opinion would make use of a WD sway control hitch "essential"?

In another post you accepted that a WD hitch with sway control addresses a multiplicity of issues. Now you claim it is just one? The hitch name states two issues out the gate.....

When properly set up WD will not result in oversteer though it can if it is not properly set up. So what other issues are you alluding to?
Old 08-14-2020, 03:38 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Collyn, your comment is vague, confusing, incomplete and unhelpful.

What in your opinion would make use of a WD sway control hitch "essential"?

In another post you accepted that a WD hitch with sway control addresses a multiplicity of issues. Now you claim it is just one? The hitch name states two issues out the gate.....

When properly set up WD will not result in oversteer though it can if it is not properly set up. So what other issues are you alluding to?
In what post did he make such a claim?
Caution! Most advice given here is nothing more than a subjective opinion. Please reference the vehicles owner manual for instruction on towing and hitch use which is based on physics, facts, and research.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Drill press, check that the table is square, as someone else mentioned a BRAND NEW drill bit and a little of whatever oil you have around for cutting, and it will take maybe 2 minutes to drill. The $10-$12 for the new bit is worth every penny in saved time and frustration. Hopefully nothing will interfere with inserting the shank all the way to the new hole so you won't need to cut the excess off.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Very nice, looks like 5/8 was the way to go. I shortened mine a few weeks ago also using a 5/8 bit on a press,
How did you determine "center" and "perpendicular"? I have a drill press but I'm thinking this through first. Since the pin is 5/8" I choose a bit 21/32" or a 1/32" over 5/8" just to be sure the pin had room to get through.
Have you used your's yet in place? Did you drill straight through or from both sides?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
5/8 bit on the press with cutting oil and a vice. Took 15 minutes. I measured very carefully scored it and then checked it for center in the receiver. then drilled a 1/8 inch pilot hole surface deep and checked again. Then the 1/8 drilled through and checked both sides. there was enough slop that I could align both sides so I drilled the final letting the bit follow the pilot hole. It was tight but nice. My cheap bit and cheap press had enough slop that the final hole was slightly bigger than 5/8.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:56 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
John - use the CAT scale weights to tune the lashup. That Air Suspension is a non-issue. Just let it do it's thing. Match the tire pressure to the axle load.
Which model airstream is this?
WhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:12 PM   #29
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereitsat View Post
which model airstream is this?
fc23fb
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote