Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Semi Truck Problems - causing sway or fish tailing

We just completed our first trip from Illinois to Arizona in our new 25'AS. We traveled all interstate highways with speed limits upto 75mph burt maintained our speed at 55-60mph. The Semi-trucks seem to go in caravans of 4 or more and they travel at high speeds. We were really pushed to the side by the draft of the semis. The conditions was worse during days with heavier wind conditions. With normal wind conditions the semis were tolerable. We have a Blue Ox hitch with stabalizer bars and use a Ford 150 as our TV. The general heavier winds did not affect us until a semi passed and there were a few times it became a little scary. Has anyone had any experience counteracting the problem with semi's? Possibly we should wait for calmer days or take other roads, but this does not seem very practical.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
We just completed our first trip from Illinois to Arizona in our new 25'AS. We traveled all interstate highways with speed limits upto 75mph burt maintained our speed at 55-60mph. The Semi-trucks seem to go in caravans of 4 or more and they travel at high speeds. We were really pushed to the side by the draft of the semis. The conditions was worse during days with heavier wind conditions. With normal wind conditions the semis were tolerable. We have a Blue Ox hitch with stabalizer bars and use a Ford 150 as our TV. The general heavier winds did not affect us until a semi passed and there were a few times it became a little scary. Has anyone had any experience counteracting the problem with semi's? Possibly we should wait for calmer days or take other roads, but this does not seem very practical.
You will probably receive many answers regarding the hitch setup, type of hitch, soft suspension on your Ford, tire type on the Ford and inflation pressure which will solve your problem. But I remember my Father-in-law, who drove semis, telling me that the same thing would happen to him in a semi. I don't think that it can be totally avoided.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Trailer "sway" or more correctly fishtailing is part of the equation that we all try and minimize with conventional hitches that Airstreams require.
Like Bill suggested, proper tire inflation does play a part as does the suspension but it can't be completely eliminated. I think the closest you will come is with a Hensley but those are high dollar hitches.
I'm not sure if you have ever towed a large box style trailer but the aerodynamics of the Airstream have already fixed most of the problem.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
i suggest you check this out www.hensleymfg.com and ask for the free video----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:19 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have pulled a lot of heavy trailers for thousands of miles, and trailer sway was always a problem. I always had the best results by completely letting off of the accelerator as the big truck entered my space.

A number of years ago, I had an opportunity to drive a Dodge dually pick-up towing A US Customs Service go-fast boat weighing 11,000#. I noticed that the rig was undistirbed by passing semis. I asked one of the regular drivers about it and he told me that since the Customs Service purchased the, then new, Hensley hitch rigs the towing was much easier.

I filed that information away in the back of my mind until We bought the Airstream. We figured if we were going to do any real traveling, we wanted the very best towing situation. When I first saw what the Hensley costs, I gagged. I then thought back to what the baot guy had said, and decided that we were going to do it. We got a new Hensley Arrow from our Airstream dealer with our Airstream for a pretty decent package price.

We have have now towed our Airstream over 10,000 miles in all highway conditions including the tail end of Hurricane Alberto earlier this years. We yet to experience any sway or uncontrolability of any kind. I stand absolutely amazed. I drive with the Airstream at speeds higher than most. I cruise the Interstate at 70-75+. I pass semis and they pass me with no effect at all. Once I had to swerve (at 70moh) to avoid debris in the road. I was pleased and suprised that I was able to recover as if I was not towing a trailer. If someone stole my Hensley tomorrow, I would immediately go and buy another one.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
We just completed our first trip from Illinois to Arizona in our new 25'AS.
use a Ford 150 as our TV.
We have a 05 25FB/SE Safari that loaded is over 7000 lbls, we have a 1/2 ton TV and a 3/4 ton TV. You described the way our 1/2 ton TV acts pulling our AS. we use the same Equal-i-zer hitch for both and the3/4 ton tows without any sway issues. I think you can maximize the hitch set up with the TV you have but in my opinion your AS is a bit big for your F150. just my opinion.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
If I were you, I'd try stiffening the rear suspension on the F150, with helper springs or air bags, and make sure the rear tires are at max pressure. The rear suspension is the "hinge" that gives when you push on either end of the A/S.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Get a Hensley and forget about sway. Not only that, driving is a lot more relaxed and you arrive in a good mood. have had a hensley and would not drive around block without one. Most of the time, I don't realize a semi is even passing us.
Well worth the price.
Good luck.

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Before you pop for a Hensley, take a look at the tires on your truck. If they are P and not LT, do yourself a favor and change to Light Truck tires. I tow a 25 ft 2002 Safari with a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee and had the same problem on my first trip down I-75 from Detroit to Atlanta. White knuckle all the way. Took off the P metric tires and put on a set of Goodrich LT, load range D tires. Day and night difference. Tows like a dream. Have towed it for about 20,000 miles as of today and will be leaving for Tampa in about a week.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

The Blue Ox is supposed to be a very high quality hitch, but my actual experience is with Reese Dual Cams. I do know it is possible to pull a 25' Airstream Safari with many (but not all) 1/2 tons, with minimal sway from the passing semis.

Do start by making sure your pickup is rated for the load you are towing. You need to compute the total combined weight as well as the tongue weight. Do not assume anything from published figures - go to a scale and weigh everything.

Check tire inflation all around. Next, as suggested above, do make sure you have LT tires of the proper load rating on the truck, and those inflated to the proper (check the door jam) inflation.

Unless you know how the hitch was installed, I would then check all the factory dimensions and adjustments. Ball height, load leveler settings, even the angle of the ball to the hitch can affect how the rig handles. Too many installers simply line up the bolt holes and snug 'em down.

There is an excellent alternative to the Hensley: Pullrite. There are tradeoffs with both, but they both do effectively eliminate one of the pivot points on a tow rig.

Good luck, Mark
Old 11-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Sidewall stiffness and lateral stability of your truck is simplest thing which can get you into trouble. Inflate the truck tires to there max. and retest the rig on the road. If it improves, buy yourself a set of heavier duty truck tires with more plyes and greater sidewall stiffness. I hope your truck has at least the jump extended seats and the long bed which increases the wheelbase of the truck and improves stability. We drive a 4 door full ton dually and full size box. Even my wife can drive the rig on I 90 -I94 with out having to move the steering wheel at all when the trucks pass. I have never pulled with a blue OX but it looked pretty complicated when I saw it at the show. I do not think it has the self centering capability of the Reese Dual cam system. I use the dual cam when I am towing my 31 footer. Pulrite make your trailer act like a 5th wheel trailer. Trucks should have minimal effect based on the geometry of the system. Hensley accomplishes close to the same thing with a 4 bar moving linkage system. Very clever engineering. I would try to fix the truck before I would put down the $3,000. But if you can not fix the problem cheaper, Hensley might be your answer instead of buying a better truck.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
tires etc

You can try new tires and then try new suspension and make a career out of trying all the different things that are causing your problems. You can adjust tire pressure and new shocks and spend the next year white knuckling all over the USA. If that is how you want to spend your time, go for it. Personally, I have a lot better things to do with my time than what everybody is proposing. Buy a Hensley or Pullright and forget about it. Only drawback with a Pullright is sometimes you have to relocate the spare tire depending on the tow vehicle. I have used both and prefer the Hensley.
In tight spots and narrow campground roads, the Pullright makse very sharp turns and you could find yourself in trouble. Either way, your sway problems will be a thing of the past and you can concentrate on havin' fun and traveling. Guess that is why they make chocolate and vanilla.
Bob
P.S. Hensley has a great guarantee and money back policy, so it wouldn't cost you a lot if you didn't like it and sent it back.

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Well, personally, I have better things to do with my money. And I have never spent so much as an hour, much less a year "white knuckling". As far as "making a career out of trying all the different things that are causing your problems", the suggestions I made should require about 90 minutes to investigate. I will add one more, though: make sure the shocks on both coach and tow vehicle are in good shape.

Hensley and Pullrite are a solution. They are not the ONLY solution. A Hensley plus non-load rated tires still equals trouble. Same for wrong tire pressures. Same for mis-match between tow vehicle capacity and tow load. Or a worn out suspension, or ..., well, any number of other problems.

Mark
Old 11-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
post pics..

Can you post a pic of your setup? Maybe you are not hitched up to optomize your setup. I've been passed by semis doing 80(!) and not really felt a bump. When I wasn't hitched right (trailer was nose high by one hole) it swayed around with little provocation.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus
If I were you, I'd try stiffening the rear suspension on the F150, with helper springs or air bags, and make sure the rear tires are at max pressure. The rear suspension is the "hinge" that gives when you push on either end of the A/S.
Stiffening rear suspension to ofset tong weight does nothing for handling!!! Stiffening except for small amounts reduces the amount of hitch weight that can be transfered to the front wheels of your tow vehicle. It is true that the trailer tow vehicle hinges at the ball. It's also the place of leverage up and down. While the vehicles may sit at a level attitude the front axle now will have less weight on it and any downward force on the ball will lessen it even more. ----- pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Talking Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Can you post a pic of your setup? Maybe you are not hitched up to optomize your setup. I've been passed by semis doing 80(!) and not really felt a bump. When I wasn't hitched right (trailer was nose high by one hole) it swayed around with little provocation.
Marc
Had exactly the same experience with my 25 FB SE. Moved down one hole and it rides like a champ! I use the Reese Dual Cam and tow with a 3/4 ton Suburban with large wheels. (I thought it was dragging down the back of the 'burb more than it was affecting the trailer... but that's how it looks parked. It's a different ballgame driving down a slightly bumpy road.)

The Hensley is a damn good hitch... try ebay or Craigslist if you want to save some bucks! All suggestions above are very good. I'd check all of the tire inflation first, then look at the hitch ball height - those are FREE fixes. Then it's up to you. If yours is a short wheelbase truck your best bets are a Hensley or a new truck... and the Hensley is less.

If you go to a rally and ask for advice, most people will gladly give you the opportunity to take a close look at their setups. Some will even take you out on a test drive.

Good luck, and be safe out there.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I changed brands of rear tires while at international in Salem, Oregon. I was driving a 92 standard cab long bed Dodge Cummings. I went from Dunlops to Kelly. The Kelly rear tires kept we white knuckled all the way home. I have since purchased a 2006 Dodge mega cab and the sway problem disappeared.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Thanks for all of the advice. My AS is currently in Arizona and I am in Illinois. When I return eithin several weeks I will try all of the adjustments and if all fails I will be trying a new hitch.It is also necessary to note that from my experience the wind conditions in the west can be much greater than those in the midwest and it may be my imagination but the isle widths of the highways in the west are less than our 12 foot widths.Also the volumr of semi traffic on the interstates semms to be heavier than in the Chicago area. Or perhaps I am just trying to justify a problem with my AS andits hitch.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:14 PM   #19
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Everyone else has pretty well hit on all of the key areas; proper hitch setup, stiffer tire sidewalls, etc. etc. etc. What you didn't mention in your original post was what, exactly, was happening. There are a number of things that can happen when a truck passes you in a wind. Does your truck and trailer get sucked in and then blown out as a unit? Does it act on the truck and the trailer independently? How easily do they recover? Some "wiggle" problems aren't caused by either the hitch or the trailer, they're engineering issues in the tow vehicle.

I have a V10 Excursion with which I towed our tri-axle. It wiggled regardless of what I did with the hitch, tires, whatever. I found out that the spring stack was too light at four leaves to hold the rear axle centered under the rear end. It was especially noticeable when towing. A pair of radius rods and a 36mm sway bar did the trick.

If you can describe more accurately what exactly is happening, we might be able to better diagnose what's happening for you.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Once again thanks for all the help. I am currently watching a show on television about $2 miilion dollar motor coaches. Pehaps i have found the solutuion. But then I may not be able to afford the diesel fuel.
Have a great Thanksgiving. We are very fortunate to have minor problems such as trailer hitches, and to live in this great country.