Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
Roadworthiness

Hi,

We will be welcoming our new "baby" (30" Sovereign, 1963) in a few days, purchased it on a whim before finding out all the hoopla about 'streams.

The previous owners have been using it, living in it for a few summers but the winters are tough here.

Any tips on how to check for roadworthiness? What to look for on the frame, the floor? How can you check out the brakes?

I didn't originally intend to use it on the road but the travelling bug hit me hard....

Looking forward to meet y'all!
Northerngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Here some tips

1ST i would check the hitch make sure its not rusted and all the stabilizer bar are there if you don't have new one.
2ND check the tires make sure there not dry rotted... if not
3RD remove tires check brakes and ball bearings and re grease them if all is well there....
4Th check out belly pan if its in good conduction and you don't want to remove it go to the next step.....if not and you see rust or some of the belly pans missing make sure to take a closer look with a flash light and check the frame make sure its in tack...
5th go inside look very closely at the doorway make sure its not soft,then check the front and rear of the camper floor look for any rotten spots.If all this checks out.
6th check the storage toolbox in the back if it has one check it real well problems could be hiding in there look for leaks and rust....Thats what got us was the storage tool box thing on the back of the Air Streams boy what a messy
7th have someone in the back jump around while your outside see if the camper bows in the middle if that goes OK then repent the step in front of the camper while you go to the back and check if all goes well
8th Hook up your brake booster and make sure your truck and the camper will stop before leaving the driveway with the camper if so your in good shape for now.Always get someone to follow you just incase.We alway use walkie talkies.To let the other person know if theres a problem...I may have left a few things out but don't worry if i did someone will add more to it....Your in good hands here....I hope this help some.....Enjoy your new found love of the tin can
PS take a can of WD-40 with you.The brakes may not be to bad but could be rust and need to be sanded and freed .With it sitting for awhile....Do you know if they did anything to it?
Old 05-16-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
Thanks!

Thank you! I'm gonna print this, make two copies, take the two-way radios and thouroughly check it with hubby. The previous owners are bringing it to us so if they're not scared of driving it through the pretty steep hills from their house to ours it's s good sign, right?

I had no idea we would get so into this
Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Oh your love it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngal
Thank you! I'm gonna print this, make two copies, take the two-way radios and thouroughly check it with hubby. The previous owners are bringing it to us so if they're not scared of driving it through the pretty steep hills from their house to ours it's s good sign, right?

I had no idea we would get so into this
We bought one three years ago.....Camped in it until this year 2006....Now we're re doing it for next year.....And as far as cost.... it may cost alittle to do what you want to do to it..... but once your done you and your husband will enjoy it for years to come....its all worth it...Plus your have all the other Air Streams owner who loved to see all the things everyone else have done to there units.Everyone who's owns air streams are so nice and more than willing to help out another air stream owner
....Nothing on our camper had been change for 30 years......So i figure alittle repair now will last us the rest of our life time.Then my kids can have a turn on repairing it to there likeness...Everyone here is very helpful and theres lots of pic...Where different member have re done theres.If your looking for idea's...If i can be of any help pm me anytime.....Enjoy your new tin can
Old 05-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
Glitch number one

Well, our baby just failed test number one. Hubby just called and the hitch just DISINTEGRATED on the road as it was being pulled home!!!!

However our tin can made it home. Looks like we will be spending many a weekend, y'know, tinkering.

I agree Angel, AS people are very helpful and we'll need all the help we can get!!!! Oh well, since we'll have to paractically dismantle the poor baby it won't be as much of a sin to take a few creative steps in reconstructing.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Lol

This is so true......But sorry to here about the hitch.....But if hubby good with a welder your in good hands.....Pls if you can post pic so we all here can see the work ur doing Before and After..
Enjoy your tin can
Old 05-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
Weld happy

We're pretty weld-happy here...nothing a rivet-gun, a welding gun and a little duct-tape can fix, right? Isn't duct-tape almost the same color as an unpolished 'stream anyhow? Right... I can hear the seasoned restorers laugh already!

I will definitely post the pictures of our gal...or guy...don't know yet I still have to get acquainted, and name It.

Thanks again for the support, Claudie