Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Berkeley , California
Review of the Trailer Valet XL

Hi all-

First post on the forums!

Recently took the plunge and bought the dream, a 2018 Bambi Sport 16RB. Upon purchasing and bringing her home, it became clear that a) I am terrible at backing up this thing (newbie here) and b) I had a bit of a tight spot to get it past the fence and into the backyard.

Did some research (And had been doing proactive research with this fear on my mind) and ended up buying the Trailer Valet XL.

Just wanted to share my positive experience with this product as a searchable help for future Airstreamers.

I got super lucky and a guy on Craigslist was selling the exact version I needed so I was able to use it within 12 hours of bringing Peanut (our Airstream) home.

It took only a few minutes to setup, feels really heavy and well constructed, and has some great support tutorials online. I tool it outside and positioned it under my hitch with the tutorial playing, went step by step and was able to get the trailer onto the ball.

A few things:

1. It doesnt say it online or on Amazon, but the latest versions of the Trailer Valet XL come with a 2 5/16th ball adapter that you clip onto the 2" ball. This was HUGE because otherwise I would have had to order the 2 5/16th threaded ball for the XL.

2. It takes some practice to get the lock back on after mounting the trailer but got better over time.

3. The locking collar on the XL seems pretty sturdy. I will say that I can't imagine this thing working up to 10k lbs like it says online... I would maybe try it on a 22' but you're pushing it after that.

4. The crank is easy to operate. Yes it progresses slowly and if you have a LONG way to go, or are going up an incline, it makes sense to get your drill out and use the provided bit.

Anyway, here is the product I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Valet...ailer+valet+xl

I attached some pics for reference!

Hope I help someone out there!
Attached Files
Daamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Congrats on Peanut!

I've posted about mine before, but I likewise have had good experiences with the Trailer Valet XL with my 27FB.

It takes some use to get comfortable with the brake handle. I use it exclusively with a drill and have gotten really good at using the combination. It's important to easy into any acceleration and deceleration. And never drop the brake handle at speed. Less you can wrench your hand on the torque on the drill as others have experienced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailervaletXL.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	302934
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Congrats on Peanut!

I've posted about mine before, but I likewise have had good experiences with the Trailer Valet XL with my 27FB.

It takes some use to get comfortable with the brake handle. I use it exclusively with a drill and have gotten really good at using the combination. It's important to easy into any acceleration and deceleration. And never drop the brake handle at speed. Less you can wrench your hand on the torque on the drill as others have experienced.

Attachment 302934
Looks like you have a tight spot there! Can you keep the trailer wheels and the Trailer Valet on the pavers throughout your parking process, or do you have to do some “off roading”?
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
It is a bit of a squeeze cause of the angle, though I've gotten her in without the Trailer Valet multiple times. Of course, it's more forgiving with the dolly.

Yes, I have to go over the forward edge of the pavers, and onto the plants by a foot or so. The trailer valet doesn't seem to care and works just as well over bit of rough stuff! I'll be paving it forward a bit so I don't keep crushing my plants.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamor View Post
Just wanted to share my positive experience with this product as a searchable help for future Airstreamers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Congrats on Peanut!

I am looking for something like this for my 22FB, the challenge I have is that my driveway is a ribbon driveway....so 2 concrete strips with crushed granite down the middle. Do you think the valet would work on crushed granite? The other option is that I could lay down 2x6 or something for the wheels to drive along.

In my case, I live on a fairly narrow street. On a perfect day (with no cars parked opposite of my driveway, or adjacent to it) I could probably get my AS into the driveway with my TV, however perfect days without other cars parked around don't happen often and could result in my AS being trapped in the driveway missing planned trips.

Due to city rules I can't leave it "stored" on the street in front of my house, and the 1-hour trip each way to storage facility that it currently sits at is a pain for planning a shorter weekend get away...but if I could stage it in my driveway that would help a lot. My current storage thats an hour away costs me $25/month, anything closer quickly approaches $100 or more a month (closer costs more, of course). So being able to avoid using the more expensive storage (that isn't even available right now) during the season would pay for the Valet in short order.

I also have line to a used one for a big savings.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I have a cement driveway that transitions to a long gravel driveway and then back to cement again with curves along the way. The Trailer Valet works fine on the cement and not well at all on the gravel. To overcome this, I lay down plywood sections on the gravel and use them as the footing for the trailer valet. That works fine. Don't be in a hurry when you are using the Trailer Valet and you will be fine. I don't use a drill on mine and do the cranking by hand. It takes me about 45 minutes to move the trailer into it's parking area. I have used the Trailer Valet for about 5 years and am on my second one. It's much more robust than the original model was.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for a great review and welcome to the forum! For eveyone’s info the new search box above in blue works great, and other mentions of Trailer Valet XL can be found here:

Link [edit - difficulties posting URL while on the road]

Lots of interesting stories and physical constraints with grade, buildings, etc..

Have fun with the new AS!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Depending on the type of gravel, it may work just fine. I've been pleasantly surprised at the Trailer Valet's ability to go "off-piste". If the gravel is sharp, I would be a bit more cautious.

As centennialman recommends, plywood would certainly work. Or even a couple doormats/carpet swatches, whatever; and just alternate them as you run it up your driveway.

Start with the hand crank to get a feel for its operation. A drill, preferably one with a low speed/high torque setting, helps tremendously if you want to minimize any workout. Just remember to finesse the starts and stops, easing into it. Don't gun the drill on/off. And snug that collar up tight against the hitch to minimize deflection.

It's a great tool.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
The XL Stabilizer Bracket is a good accessory for uneven surfaces. It really does help secure the Valet to the trailer.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote