Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Remote controlled tow dolly

Seems like a pretty nifty device.......would want to find out max incline or decline before trying it out though; holding a remote controll and running after your trailer as it careens down the driveway could be exciting for some Utube poster.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Did you happen to look at the PRICE
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Did you happen to look at the PRICE
If price is a factor with anything Airstream, you shouldn't have an Airstream.

That being said, what is the going rate for repairing panels or a top cap after you've backed into a too low garage door, or some implement, or wall? Plus being able to swing the trailer within its own shadow and park it sideways at the rear of a shop would benefit many I'd imagine.

The price is what the price is.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 04-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
If price is a factor with anything Airstream, you shouldn't have an Airstream.
The price is what the Price is.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

You write the check and I will happy to try it out. Money may not be a factor for you but it is for most people.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I am ordering their XLv2 caddy for my 25 Airstream next week, about 700, not too bad seems to work well on YouTube.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
You write the check and I will happy to try it out. Money may not be a factor for you but it is for most people.
LOL, money is a factor for me, that's why I have a 35 year old Airstream; it was the only one I could afford to buy.

If there was a chance of doing $15,000.00 damage to my $150,000.00+ dollar trailer, along with the depreciation hit of a damaged trailer that is "fixed".....what's $4,100.00; if I had a spot that was difficult to get into with a trailer, I'd buy it; or something like it.

Peace of mind is priceless; accidents are pricey.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 04-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
You can buy a lot of wine, beer, and what ever you may drink for the price of that thing. Is pretty cool, however I will pass. Don't show my wife she has all the money.

Best regards and safe travels.......
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
There are multiple threads about Trailer Valet and the other powered dollies.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
I am ordering their XLv2 caddy for my 25 Airstream next week, about 700, not too bad seems to work well on YouTube.
Please let us all know how it works out for you - I for one would love to know more about it's ease of use, general capabilities, weight and dimensions etc - from a real user not someone who is paid to market the product. The length of the trailer plus tow vehicle is a huge limitation in tight spots, so a work around would be great for many of us.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
I am intrigued with the PurpleLine Movers that direct drive each Airstream wheel using friction. It is part of the Airstream, always with you on the road too and enables you to pivot the Airstream. It would give you the option to put the unit nose in to parking areas that you normally would not be able to - both at home as well as at camp sites. $3600 for the 4 motor system. You might want to buy a separate tongue wheel assembly as I would not want to put that type of stress on the tongue jack if you use it on anything besides a smooth surface.

One negative I can see is that it cuts into the ground clearance of the Airstream.

http://www.purplelineusa.com/products.php

http://www.purplelineusa.com/manuals...0Editorial.pdf
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
$3400-$4100 per the website. Too much for me to consider unless I had a space that I couldn't access with a TV attached and the choice was between this and building a bigger covered storage.
https://www.trailervalet.com/shop/rvr/
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I'm with you AWCHIEF.

Money is definitely a factor to me. I don't mind spending the money but it has to be worth the price. That's why I don't buy a new AS. I buy the used one off of someone that money was no object so I can save a few bucks.

MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
This type of mobility is a step into the world of robotics. It seems to be a step too far for most. However, for the right person, the right application and the right budget, maybe. For us, it is way down the list of needs, wants, and maintenance. Interesting electric tow vehicle, though. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #14
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
If it interfaces and powers the electric brakes on the trailer via the plug, it would be cool. If not, I don't think it would be safe anywhere outside of a very level slab.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote