Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,319
Reese SD W/D with Sway Control 66155

Anyone have experience with this Reese SC Weight Distribution with Sway Control system, I would like to hear your impression of the hitch.

Reese SC Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66155
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,362
Images: 5
I have not driven one, but have heard that it behaves very much like an Equal-i-zer...but more flexible bars???.....subjective, certainly. I have seen no flex numbers like were run on a few WDs a couple years ago.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
jdalrymple's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,695
Hitch questions always stir a lively debate, and here is my opinion....

The sway control is still friction based.

I have never used one of these, but have towed with other Reese hardware for several years.

I prefer the cam type anti-sway because unlike the friction devices, once installed and tuned the cam type "knows" when the trailer is straight behind the tow vehicle.

Friction devices just resist movement. Any movement. Like a trailer which has swung out of position and is trying to return straight behind the TV.


Regards,

JD
__________________
Jeff & Cindy
'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Hitch questions always stir a lively debate, and here is my opinion....

The sway control is still friction based.

I have never used one of these, but have towed with other Reese hardware for several years.

I prefer the cam type anti-sway because unlike the friction devices, once installed and tuned the cam type "knows" when the trailer is straight behind the tow vehicle.

Friction devices just resist movement. Any movement. Like a trailer which has swung out of position and is trying to return straight behind the TV.


Regards,

JD
Thanks for your reply, and all you have stated I understand and do not dispute. That is why I asked for input from actual users of the hitch.
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,319
So, no one has experience with the Reese SD 66155?
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,278
Images: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

Thanks for your reply, and all you have stated I understand and do not dispute. That is why I asked for input from actual users of the hitch.
LOL: Steve you know that has never stopped anyone here from giving uninformed opinions.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,319
Michael,

Do you have experience with the Reese SD 66155?
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,278
Images: 33
Of course not. I'm a die hard Andersen WD system user, but you know that.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Chief Chili Cook
 
newroswell's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Anyone have experience with this Reese SC Weight Distribution with Sway Control system, I would like to hear your impression of the hitch.

Reese SC Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66155
Steve we have been using that exact hitch for over 2 years, and about 15,000 miles. It's performed very well in all conditions, including some pretty crazy windy conditions.

I have no interest in any more of these hitch threads, only saw this because it was on the portal. We can discuss further via PM if you like.
__________________
The NSA -- The only part of the government that listens.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 219
I have the Reese Dual-Cam sway control. I do not believe Dual-Cam system is considered a friction system. It is a fantastic system. It took a day or so and trip to the scales to get it dialed in. I Love it, love it, love it. My bars are 750 lbs as I recall.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,319
So, only one person on this forum uses the Reese SC hitch?
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
The Silver Slipper
 
2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Well I have he same hitch - it came with the 25 ft excella I just bought - Have only towed about 400 miles (bringing the trailer home through the Mts. of Pennsylvania and I will say I am impressed. Barely knew the trailer was behind me... of course the creaking sounds when slow going on turns in town or around gas plazas is enough to raise your hair, but ya kind of get used to it! Then again how does one get experience with several hitches or systems/ kind of cost prohibitive to experiment. I will be doing the Long Haul from WNY to the Keys in January and then touring the US in 2014 hunting and fishing where ever the wind blows.. I should have a lot more experience with it in the next year or two LOL...
BigPineJandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
Chief Chili Cook
 
newroswell's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 738
BigPine, are you sure you have this hitch or the Equil-i-zer, which looks very similar but doesn't have the friction pads the bars sit on? The Equil-i-zer is the original design and is notorious for being "squeaky".
__________________
The NSA -- The only part of the government that listens.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Larry C's Avatar
 
1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 837
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPineJandK View Post
Well I have he same hitch - it came with the 25 ft excella I just bought - Have only towed about 400 miles (bringing the trailer home through the Mts. of Pennsylvania and I will say I am impressed. Barely knew the trailer was behind me... of course the creaking sounds when slow going on turns in town or around gas plazas is enough to raise your hair, but ya kind of get used to it! Then again how does one get experience with several hitches or systems/ kind of cost prohibitive to experiment. I will be doing the Long Haul from WNY to the Keys in January and then touring the US in 2014 hunting and fishing where ever the wind blows.. I should have a lot more experience with it in the next year or two LOL...
Those creaking sounds are easily cured....all you have to do is put a thin film of Vaseline, on the bearing surfaces of the dual cams, and on the top and bottom of the trunnion bars where they attach to the ball hitch. A very thin film is all that is necessary. Do not use a heavy grease,Reese recommends only Vaseline. I've used this for years, and it works great.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 219
Clarification: If read correctly;
SteveH inquired about SC that does NOT incorporate Dual-Cam (DC)
BigPine said his was the same (meaning NOT DC)
Larry C Commented as though BigPine has DC and I don't think he does.

FYI I concur with Larry C, the Reese DC has works great. Its all about the cam in the bars.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Larry C's Avatar
 
1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 837
Blog Entries: 1
Reese SC, and Dual Cam stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
Clarification: If read correctly;
SteveH inquired about SC that does NOT incorporate Dual-Cam (DC)
BigPine said his was the same (meaning NOT DC)
Larry C Commented as though BigPine has DC and I don't think he does.

FYI I concur with Larry C, the Reese DC has works great. Its all about the cam in the bars.
I guess I missed the SC thing. Usually when I hear of creaking a groaning, I think of my first experience with the Reese Dual Cam. Sorry 'bout that, but for those of you who have the DC, remember, Vaseline works great.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,319
Yes, my question is about the new (maybe a couple of years) Reese SC (sway control) hitch, not the Dual Cam hitch.

The Reese SC operates purely on friction similar to the Equalizer hitch, but it uses brake pad material under the bars instead of just metal to metal friction.
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Larry C's Avatar
 
1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 837
Blog Entries: 1
I see that now.....I think in principle both Reese products work the same way , the difference being the brake pad as the friction device vs the cam device.

With the DC I don't have to be concerned about the proper amount of pressure on the brake pads.
To each his own, as long as the end result is satisfactory.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
 
1972 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 11
I have an older version of this hitch, and I'm looking to replace it. Though it seems to work ok, it has a habit of grabbing around gradual turns at freeway speeds. I may have it adjusted incorrectly, but the thing is at least 20 years old and the tolerances are really sloppy and its really hard to dial in correctly. I used it to go to Glacier NP and only had one sway incident in Montana and my truck's anti-sway system kicked in and fixed it.

David
dhtullos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,943
Blog Entries: 1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
I guess I missed the SC thing. Usually when I hear of creaking a groaning, I think of my first experience with the Reese Dual Cam. Sorry 'bout that, but for those of you who have the DC, remember, Vaseline works great.

Larry
Vasoline on Reese dual cam or any type of lubricant on reese dual cam set up is defeating the friction of saddle on bars to snap ups, I have been using since reese first came out with this set up same set orig. pur. they have shown very little wear on cams, yes they groan and make noise that means they are doing job. If used lub. there isn't any sway control, only lube ball and trunnions. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.