Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
South Western , Pennsylvania
Reese dual cam WD hitch help

While on the road I noticed that the passager front thread forming bolt (item 6&7 on the diagram) was missing. I bought a 1/2-13 replacement bolt however the threads on the A frame are stripped. The treadforming bolts do not go through the frame.
My questions: can I drill completely through the frame and install longer bolts?
Would tightening to the recommended 75ft/lbs possibly bend the A frame?
Has this happen to anyone else and what was your solution?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1472.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	288572  
Old 07-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
passenger not passager sorry
Old 07-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
75 lbs would likely crush the tube. You could go up a size and switch to fine thread. Bushings can be used, inserted from a OD hole on the outside of the tube, trimmed flush to the surface. Welding is another option. Helicoils are a hassle to install, but work well. Several solutions available depending on your skillset and tool availability.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Any chance of tapping out the stripped hole for the next size bolt, even if you have to switch to metric? Personally I would not drill out the tube frame, in order to through-bolt.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
OTRA15: tapping out to the next size bolt is an option, but I'm sure this will happen again. Why are you against drilling through the frame?

Ruscal: actually the revised instructions use a 11/16 Rivet Nut (similar to a helicoil) inserted into the frame. But now we're talking a much larger hole and if that strips out how much larger could you go.

Thanks for the replys, may try tapping out to larger size bolt.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivLoveLaugh View Post
OTRA15: tapping out to the next size bolt is an option, but I'm sure this will happen again. Why are you against drilling through the frame?
. . .
Because it would line up two holes through the steel tubing frame [I am assuming this is a rectangular steel tube section, correct?], which the designers did not intend to have there. Maybe the thing is over-engineered enough to avoid a problem, but there are very high forces right at this point of the tongue, as the trailer bounces down the road.

Also, as suggested earlier, the 75 ft/lbs of loading for the new bolt might compress the steel tube, as it was not spec'd for this kind of load.

Would a through-bolt solution conceivably work, and hold up for years and years? Yes -- maybe.

Or -- maybe not.

A structural failure of the tongue frame steel tubing would be expensive to fix, even assuming it did not cause a catastrophic structural failure and an accident possibly.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I don't see any poblem with drilling and bolting through.

Two 3/8 holes are not going to reduce strength of the square tubing any appreciable amount.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think the rivet nut solution is the best.

If those break out or come loose over time you can still take it to a welder and tack the bracket to the frame.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
IMO where drilling thru square frame at near bottom not prob. with collapse or crush of frame as strong point at side at bottom, if did any of above could plate both sides spreading span longer, simple tack weld would hold plates for ever
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Oddly talking to another member in our unit. He has the same problem with the same bolt location. We ordered rivet nuts, but the thought of drilling a 11/16" to accept the rivet nut for the 1/2-13 thread forming bolts just doesn't sit well with me. That and I never had much success with rivet nuts.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
I've installed two of these systems in the last year, getting to install another on my brothers trailer next weekend. The rivet nuts work as intended, with the exception of actually getting the bolt torqued to 75 ft lbs. The supplied nuts are supposed to collapse but start to spin before that happens. On my trailer I have 1 bolt that only has about 40 ft lbs but it has held in for over a year. On my brother in laws trailer we were able to torque all of them to about 60 ft lbs.
When we install on my brothers trailer next weekend we plan on drilling with the next size smaller bit to see if it gives the nut more bite.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Rivnuts generally aren't completely flush with the surface--they have a lip. Tack welding sure seems an easy solution.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
On a new installation you have to be careful to not strip the self tapping bolt by over torquing. Yours may have been stripped letting the bolt wallow in the hole. A loose fastener will ruin the threads.
If installing new rivnuts be sure to use star lock washers to retain the bolts. Locktite is not recommended on rivnuts due to removability issues. (they can spin)
Russ
Old 07-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Most people don't have a rivnut clinching tool to properly install them. A 1/2" one is a big beefy tool. When properly clinched the rivnut will be able to accept proper torquing. A little anti seize compound will help get there. If you are trying to clinch the fastener by tightening the bolt the rivnut may spin before reaching spec. You can try the anti seize to help get them to clinch better if you don't have the tool. Always use star lock washers to retain bolts if not lock wiring.
Russ
Old 07-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I was NOT going to bother replying to any more posts on this forum, as it seems to be a waste of time; what with 'CAPCHA' swallowing and disposing of my answers. However.........................

This post hit a nerve with me; as I have a complete Reese Duo-Cam set in my garage, unused, because some 'idiot-child' at my dealer, stripped all the threads on those brackets, and now I can't use the hitch.
I could, I suppose, use Heli-coils, to repair, but I don't trust them.
The Dealer removed the Reese and gave me an 'Ezy-Lift' which seems to work o.k. He uses one on his demos, and pick-ups from the factory.

Some, but not all, of those ideas above are workable; and if you do use Heli-Coils, I would lock them into the frame with epoxy, and let harden before reinstalling the 'thread forming' screws.
B.T.W. Reese calls for 50 ft. lb. dry torque on those bolts.
Of course, the majority of auto and R.V. mechanics use those air guns to hammer the bolts home. They don't recognize that a torque wrench is a precision tool for precision work. (When I was working, I was required to have mine 'certified' every six months.)

[Anyone out there require a slightly used, almost new Reese Hitch?]
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Thanks to all that replied to my post.
I'm going to contact the people at the old Western Pa. Airsteam where I purchased and had the hitch installed (unfortunately they are no longer in the Airstream business). However, they are closed for the holiday and the earliest I can contact them would be Wednesday. We're leaving to attend the international in Escanaba sometime next week and need to resolve this issues be for our trip.
Again thanks
Old 07-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
If it were mine, id's take it to an experienced welder, have him weld the messed up hole shut and redrill it. Problem solved
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
I was NOT going to bother replying to any more posts on this forum, as it seems to be a waste of time; what with 'CAPCHA' swallowing and disposing of my answers. However.........................

This post hit a nerve with me; as I have a complete Reese Duo-Cam set in my garage, unused, because some 'idiot-child' at my dealer, stripped all the threads on those brackets, and now I can't use the hitch.
I could, I suppose, use Heli-coils, to repair, but I don't trust them.
The Dealer removed the Reese and gave me an 'Ezy-Lift' which seems to work o.k. He uses one on his demos, and pick-ups from the factory.

Some, but not all, of those ideas above are workable; and if you do use Heli-Coils, I would lock them into the frame with epoxy, and let harden before reinstalling the 'thread forming' screws.
B.T.W. Reese calls for 50 ft. lb. dry torque on those bolts.
Of course, the majority of auto and R.V. mechanics use those air guns to hammer the bolts home. They don't recognize that a torque wrench is a precision tool for precision work. (When I was working, I was required to have mine 'certified' every six months.)

[Anyone out there require a slightly used, almost new Reese Hitch?]
I have used prob. thousand helicoil in steel, aluminum, all kinds of matl. many sizes metric and US fine and coarse threads in off road racing, chain saws and other items. If drilled specified size for coils using, and using installation tools, should never come loose and never used any kind of epoxy etc. never had one fail and racing is extreme usage. Thin matl. not so good has to be at least thickness of length of coil. I don't no what poster is referring to thread forming screws as helicoil does not use.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I have used prob. thousand helicoil in steel, aluminum, all kinds of matl. many sizes metric and US fine and coarse threads in off road racing, chain saws and other items. If drilled specified size for coils using, and using installation tools, should never come loose and never used any kind of epoxy etc. never had one fail and racing is extreme usage. Thin matl. not so good has to be at least thickness of length of coil. I don't no what poster is referring to thread forming screws as helicoil does not use.
"Thread Forming 'Bolts'" Came with the hitch from Reese.
They are a hardened bolt that has the threads in a shallow triangle, that actually 'forms' the threads in the drilled hole in the A-frame.
Premier Fastener Corp. (Cleveland) had some in their line of bolts.

Mat'l. thickness of the frame is one of the reasons that I don't trust the 'Heli-Coil'.
"Riv-nuts" sound good, but "Lord knows where to buy them in Canada, and He ain't tellin'."
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
[QUOTE] ["Riv-nuts" sound good, but "Lord knows where to buy them in Canada, and He ain't tellin'."/QUOTE]

Actually I was able to order Rivet nuts and spare thread forming bolts from E-Trailer. However, I'm not sure I want to drill a larger hole to accommodate the rivet nuts.