Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Receiver on back of A/S Travel Trailer

I would like to know if anybody has attempted to add a reciever hitch on the rear of the A/S? I know that too much weight in the rear will cause uncontrollable sway but I have a short trailer with tandom wheels and think that I could add a little extra weight back there. I'm looking for something that can be welded/ bolted to the frame and come up flush with the underside of the bumper.
The reason I would like to have this installed is to add a light weight bike rack to it and carry my very light weight bike/ bikes on it while traveling.
I don't like the idea of a roof mount on the truck or putting them inside of the TT while driving and I can't use the back of my truck for them as it is very inconvient.
Besides telling me that I am crazy. I already know that! I would like to know if anyone on here can steer me in the right direction on doing this. Any info such as brand of hitch receiver, etc. I did see a receiver, a long time ago, on a very old A/S parked at the Jackson Center plant outside the repair shop. It was not a big 2in., but rather a 1in. reciever end like one you would see on a car.
I was not inerested at the time so I never asked around about it. Now, I think it's a good idea and am just trying to figure out the best way to do it.
I'd like to hear what you think about it. Maybe there is a way to have one on the back of the trailer and still be safe traveling down the road.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello.... I would not put a receiver on the back of a trailer... even with light weight bikes there is a lot of movement.... we had a 19 foot SOB before we got our first Airstream... did not realize the amount of bounce until I followed my hubby with the car....
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Lombard , Illinois
Two comments to make here:

1. I'm not sure how "legal" it is in each state to tow a trailer behind another trailer ( I know some states allow over the road truck drivers to pull like this, but I believe they are also endorsed on their driver's license).

2. When we purchased our trailer, it had an aftermarket bike rack attached to the frame. It is rather big, heavy, and very rusty. I have a bike rack that slides into a receiver hitch, so like you, I thought this would be a better alternative than the 35lbs (yes, I was bored and after I removed it, actually stacked it all on a bathroom scale) of rusty rack. After reading the posts by others on this subject, I decided not to haul the bikes on the rear of the trailer at all. There are too many very knowedgable folks on this site, who advise against it, siteing long term rear end seperation damage. I was lucky, I don't believe I have any seperation, but had I cleaned up the old rack and continued to use it, who knows.

I wish you the best of luck trying to figure a way to secure your bikes either inside the trailer, or on your tow vehicle.

Let us know what you end up doing. I have thought about somewhere on the trailer tongue, but then what would I do with the Porpane tanks? They need to be outside, due to venting issues. I am thinking about going to 20 LB bottles, since they are so readily exchangable at most service stations and hardware/home inprovement stores nationwide. Perhaps a receiver hitch on the front of the tounge, just below the bottle mount... sorry prob. for another thread.

Do what you want, afterall its your trailer. I think you'll find a "poo-poo" from the group here, but time will tell

Best Regards,

I have a picture of my Airstream in my wallet, and I'm sitting on it...

...If that's not love, I don't know what is!
Gael79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
I mounted a reciever to the front of my truck for that very reason.
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you lok at this Thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...s-30184-3.html

On that thread look at at post #36 & #38 and you will see how I have carried bikes for years.

That is a cheap rake I got at Wal Mart, cut 2 pieces of wood to bolt through to the bumper and attach the upper part to the window frame. This works very well and has almost no movement of the bike while driving unlike most receiver mounts.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Dooley---To follow up on Scott's summary, it's a convenient place to carry things but not a good idea. The primary reason is overloading the airstream structure. It's a combination of the weight of the bicycles and rack, cantilevered a couple of feet to the rear of the bumper and then the dynamic response of this cantilevered mass as it travels down the road. The dynamic motion magnifies the effective weight carried and induces a cranking moment into the hitch attach point that is very significant compared to the capability of the trailer's local structure to react this loading.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ill advised. You will get frame seperation in short order by adding any weight to the ouside of the shell in the rear.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Ill advised. You will get frame seperation in short order by adding any weight to the ouside of the shell in the rear.
Please advise what "Short Order" is. I have had my bikes on the back of my trailer for at least 25,000 miles of the 120,000 miles the trailer has traveled.

This has got to be a myth born when Airstream frames were made of .100 thick material, only 3 in.tall, and the body was a major part of the structure.

Dolley has asked a question that warrants being answered in terms that relate to his circumstances. Ford has tried to outlive the "Tin Lizzie" image maybe we can update our views also.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Just to be safe, never hang anything on the back bumper. I use a front receiver on my pickup. Works fine.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I think this is a great A/S forum and value all the input here. It looks like I am not the only one that has faced or been plagued by the decision on how to carry the ever space hogging bike. I personally would like to see a vendor on here take some of these ideas and run with it.
I will probably travel with my bikes in the trailer leaning up against my front couch and strapped together as it seems to be the best way for now. The idea of foldable bikes is a good one, if I only didn't spend so much money on the bikes I currently use.
Again, THANKS!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
inside-the-trailer bike rack

Last year, we carried our old mountain bikes on the roof of our truck. Weren't too happy about the extended exposure to weather. Also, we're looking for ways to carry our MUCH more expensive new road bikes.

We're willing to try storing them inside the trailer. To do that, I'm going to use front-fork mounts intended for installation in the bed of a pickup truck. To use these, you remove the front wheel, and clip the forks into the bracket. I bought these.

Here's a picture of their application inside a van.

The difference is I'll install the brackets on a 6"-wide board. Reading some bike forums, if you use a 3' or 4' long board with two bikes, they should be pretty stable. We plan to put them in front, cross-wise next to the goucho. I'll look for a way to add a bungee cord just to make sure they don't 'wander'. My co-pilot also informs me we will place an old towel under the chain/cassette areas to prevent oil or grease from dropping onto the new carpet!

Will post pictures when if and when I get this to work.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
That is a good idea! Your co-pilot also knows a few things. And I'm taking notes.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
Please advise what "Short Order" is. I have had my bikes on the back of my trailer for at least 25,000 miles of the 120,000 miles the trailer has traveled.
Short order meaning eventually, it will have an impact on the structure.

Ever wonder why Airstream doesn't put the spare on the back and why they take the added steps to create an under "A" frame bracket to carry it?

I'm not sure this is a myth by any means. The back is not designed for external attachements. If you've been doing it and you've not seen an issue, great, but I wouldn't take much comfort in the fact that it hasn't happened yet. If you have questions about it, call Inland RV and then contact the factory and please report back what they tell you. I know for a fact what Inland would say and I myself would be interested in hearing what the factory would say about bikes on the back, let alone adding a hitch, which was the question that was asked.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yes, I'd be wary of this. Andy, at Inland RV has mentioned this as a problem in at least one thread.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Dooly, I installed a hitch receiver on the rear of my Safari 28'. I stopped a guy driving a 25' with bikes on the back and asked how he did it. I had a welding shop make up a reciever assembly and we bolted it to the frame at the sides and to the bumper. I have a bike rack for two bikes there. It works perfectly. I discussed this with the shop and he agreed the frame is plenty stout. I think it is nonsense that it could overstress a trailer with a 7,200 GVWR. There is no issue with sway or anything else. We used 2" steel because that is what he had. However, I think I would opt for 1 1/4 inch to make it as light as possible. I think Airstream is worried you will tow another trailer from that hitch receiver. That would likely be a problem. But bicycles? I have pictures if you would like to see what I did. Good luck, Ron
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709
Dooly, I installed a hitch receiver on the rear of my Safari 28'. I stopped a guy driving a 25' with bikes on the back and asked how he did it. I had a welding shop make up a reciever assembly and we bolted it to the frame at the sides and to the bumper. I have a bike rack for two bikes there. It works perfectly. I discussed this with the shop and he agreed the frame is plenty stout. I think it is nonsense that it could overstress a trailer with a 7,200 GVWR. There is no issue with sway or anything else. We used 2" steel because that is what he had. However, I think I would opt for 1 1/4 inch to make it as light as possible. I think Airstream is worried you will tow another trailer from that hitch receiver. That would likely be a problem. But bicycles? I have pictures if you would like to see what I did. Good luck, Ron
Yes Ron I'm very interested in seeing the picture or pictures of your hitch set up. Glad to see it works for you. Bikes are all I wanted to use mine for also. Originally, I thought that since my trailer was so short and had dual axles and a frame as thick as all the other size trailers of that year, that there would not be a problem either but, after seeing all the messages against it, I doubted what I was considering doing.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
I think talking to Airstream would give you the correct answer, I am sure the shop you used was not part of Airstreams design team. The 7,200 GVWR has nothing to do with modification you are making that is not the issue. I find it interesting that you have the ability to read Airstreams mind about towing another trailer, I would not believe that ever entered into their thinking, very psychic. The fact that you install the hitch may void the warranty if still in effect. Hey it is your trailer and I do wish you the best of luck. I have seen one install which had a brace installed below the window which I do feel would work. If you search the forum you will find a picture of one of Wally's trailer with a bike hanging on the rear it is assumed he had the trailer modified or just had it repaired when necessary. What scares me the most is you are willing to tell another owner to make a modification which is known to cause a problem and that it is acceptable to do.

Dooley take Inlands advice Andy knows Airtreams. In fact PM Andy or give him a call before you install a rack it may save you $$$ in the future. Dooley your trailer is a 87 and may already have some weakness in shell to frame attachment in the rear I would do no nothing to hasten the process. I have rebuilt a 68 and assisted on a 69 and both had separation to some degree. Just normal use and leaks slowly get to the rear, had the trailers been SOB they would of been in the scrape pile but were very restorable.

The real proof that it is a bad idea is on the Airstream site, go to their online store and see if you can find a bike rack for sale that fits in the back of an Airstream with their LOGO on it. They do not miss a marketing opportunity and you can be sure if it was acceptable they would have a bike rack for sale.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
However, I think I would opt for 1 1/4 inch to make it as light as possible. I think Airstream is worried you will tow another trailer from that hitch receiver. That would likely be a problem. But bicycles? I have pictures if you would like to see what I did. Good luck, Ron
1 1/4 is a bad idea based on our experience. Years a go we had a Pop Up and I built a very strong receiver/platform that spread across the back half of the trailer. The 1 1/4 square tubing was bought from a hitch building shop and it ran from the trailer axle to the back bumper.

We then mounted a Draw Tight draw bar and attached one of those hitch mount bike racks where the bikes hang from. It worked great for 5 days of travel and then the 1 1/4 draw bar broke in half. The two bikes and rack hit the pavement at 60MPH. I did have a safety line attached so dragged the bikes quite a ways. Micro vibration on the rear of the trailer will cause metal fatigue on light duty draw bars.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
1 1/4 is a bad idea based on our experience. Years a go we had a Pop Up and I built a very strong receiver/platform that spread across the back half of the trailer. The 1 1/4 square tubing was bought from a hitch building shop and it ran from the trailer axle to the back bumper.

We then mounted a Draw Tight draw bar and attached one of those hitch mount bike racks where the bikes hang from. It worked great for 5 days of travel and then the 1 1/4 draw bar broke in half. The two bikes and rack hit the pavement at 60MPH. I did have a safety line attached so dragged the bikes quite a ways. Micro vibration on the rear of the trailer will cause metal fatigue on light duty draw bars.
At least you had the sense to use a safety line. I cringe everytime I see people with loads of crap hanging off the rear of their rigs, held on only with a bungee cord or two...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Yes Bob.. One would believe that a 3500lb rated draw bar could handle the wieght of a 10 lb bike rack and 50lbs of bikes but not the case when their is the bounce factor with unsupported weight.