Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 AM   #101
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Thanks for all the information from everyone. Carrying toys along is the biggest (and only) problem when traveling in an airstream. Our kayaks sit flat and take up all the space on the cap and truck cab, so bikes up there aren't an option. If Thule made a rack for our truck then our old Thule system would work and bikes could be in the middle - but that is more cumbersome and less accessible than where they are inside. They are ok inside the cap, but as I said, not at all convenient for those stops when you stay hitched and would like a bike ride and also they take up most of the space.
I do understand, Andy, your explanation of the torque when hitting a bump, but you referred to hanging them on the bumper and the problem there makes good sense to me. But if they are welded to the frame and do not have much "swing" that should be minimized and if they aren't fastened to the shell it shouldn't effect the movement of the shell to frame.
As for a front mount on the truck I would think they would get terribly dirty?Wouldn't they block lights? They for sure couldn't be covered. I guess folding bikes is an option as well. Also thinking about an inflatable kayak for some trips that aren't specifically for the purpose of kayaking.
MJBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #102
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBear View Post
Thanks for all the information from everyone.
I do understand, Andy, your explanation of the torque when hitting a bump, but you referred to hanging them on the bumper and the problem there makes good sense to me. But if they are welded to the frame and do not have much "swing" that should be minimized and if they aren't fastened to the shell it shouldn't effect the movement of the shell to frame.
Unfortunately and out of necessity, the shell holds the frame up. especially at the rear.

Anything you carry in the rear has an effect on the shell.

The question is always, "how much of an effect?"

Small things, no problem.

Your proposal, big bucks problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBear View Post
Thanks for all the information from everyone. Carrying toys along is the biggest (and only) problem when traveling in an airstream. Our kayaks sit flat and take up all the space on the cap and truck cab, so bikes up there aren't an option. If Thule made a rack for our truck then our old Thule system would work and bikes could be in the middle - but that is more cumbersome and less accessible than where they are inside. They are ok inside the cap, but as I said, not at all convenient for those stops when you stay hitched and would like a bike ride and also they take up most of the space.
As for a front mount on the truck I would think they would get terribly dirty?Wouldn't they block lights? They for sure couldn't be covered. I guess folding bikes is an option as well. Also thinking about an inflatable kayak for some trips that aren't specifically for the purpose of kayaking.

With our previous trailer, a 27' Award, which we had for about ten years, I carried our two bicycles on a hitch rack fitted to a 2" receiver mounted on the front of our truck.

You are right that it does have some impact on your lighting, but not a major one. In any case, we rarely travel at night.

Technically, I am not sure if it is 100% legal because of the lighting issue and also because - if you want to be picky - the handlebars & seats do intrude slightly into your field of vision.

Having said that, we have never been stopped for it in ten years of cross country travels.

When we bought our Airstream last Fall, I was initially pleased to find that it had a 2" receiver on the rear. I planned to move the bikes to the back of the trailer.

We toured the AS factory when we bought our trailer and I spoke with the tour guide about using the hitch for bicycles. I knew that the manual that came with the trailer stated the AS position that nothing should be carried at the back of the trailer.

His opinion ( as a long time AS owner and employee for many years) was that bikes should cause no problem and that the wording in the manual was aimed to stop folks hanging heavier and heavier loads off the back. So I still figured I would do it!

Then I read the wealth of info on this forum, mostly negative with respect to trailer hitches on the rear of the AS.

I understand the arguements, but am still not entirely sure that the forces would cause separation.

Nevertheless, we paid a bundle for the trailer and so in the end I decided not to chance it. Since I was not going to use the hitch, and since it was pretty heavy itself and reduced ground clearance significantly, I cut it off before our first long trip with the trailer and I continue to carry the bikes up front on the truck. It is the solution that works best for us. We have a cap on our truck, but fully use that space for storage to keep clutter out of the trailer. The truck is a 4x4 and I think it would be just too much of a struggle to get bikes up and down off the roof.

Brian.

Ps - I suspect the previous owner must have pulled a small trailer behind the AS, perhaps a motorcycle or boat, as there was a wiring harness as well as the hitch. As far as I could tell, it had caused no damage at the back of the AS, but who knows - I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that maybe he only used it once!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #104
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Our truck is also 4X4, quite high and that is why we put our kayaks up there flat and roll them up. It is the only we we could do it, so to put bikes in the middle we would need a scaffold.
I'm familiar with Awards - had wanted one for years, then when kids were grown and we thought it would be the perfect trailer for 2 they were out of business. That is a really light trailer and seems like it should have had as many if not more issues with a back load than an airstream. There are lots of trailers and 5th wheels headed down the road with all kinds of stuff hanging of the back and most not made as well as our airstream. Many rv's a whole lot longer with a great deal of overhang as well. What makes it such a problem for Airstreams?
I'm still wondering if anyone has actually experienced separation from weight on the back. From responses so far the folks who have actually put their bikes on the back are saying its been ok and there haven't been any negatives. On our last drive to Georgian Bay above Toronto we passed several airstreams - 2 with bikes on the back which is what got us interested again.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Sorry I realize I misread about the Award --- the bikes were not on the back but on your truck.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Yea, I know it's dangerous to post here again... but

So I decided to pursue to store-inside-the-AS option. We're heading out on Sat. for the outer banks and I would like to take the bikes with us. I envisioned a simple wood structure that would hold the front axles of our two bikes and then I would bungee cord the front wheels to the fixture. Well, fine until there's a side load (i.e. turning). Then, the whole thing goes to heck in a handbasket. So, after my wife and I contemplating for about 30 minutes as to where / how we could attach the bikes to the something in the living room of the AS without drilling / damage / eyesore; we gave up for the night.

So now my reason for posting here again: those of you that have made in-the-AS bike holders...please post pictures or email them to me directly as jasongrendahl@gmail.com. I need to see your ideas and figure out how you keep the bikes from falling over and taking your "rack" with it. Where do you screw to in the trailer or how are you otherwise reacting the loads of turning?
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #107
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Interesting idea, I'm sure it's been done many times, and always with creative, thinkin' outside the box solutions.

My first knee jerk reaction is to perhaps use a tension rod (think temporary curtain rod) across the width of the trailer. It's removable and wouldn't damage the walls. Then you could add a few hand clamps to the rod to prevent the bike from leaning. It's kind of a crude idea, but it's probably about 20 bucks in parts, so it might be worth a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tension.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	86369  
Old 08-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #108
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Visit this thread for airstream bike racks.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ams-41078.html
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote