Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Further to what Shiny16 is talking about.

In addition to the tongue weight changes, the cargo capacity of the 16 is so tight and good portion of it will go to the bikes and rack. doesn't leave much for food or clothes or water.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:17 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
You Are So Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstetsonc View Post
Nobody recommends anything these days, the world is too litigious. The Kuat bike rack has a very ingenious system that by turning a knob it takes all of the slack out of the hitch coupling. The Bikes rack does not move around with their system. Other older bike racks that I have had are much looser and the bikes are very poorly secured. With the Kuat, nothing is moving or bouncing at the back of the Bambi. To answer the next post, yes i do have a rear view camera.
Trying to get a straight answer from a manufacturer anymore is like pulling teeth. Typically they won't give you their honest opinion in case of true stupidity on the users end, most everyone is afraid of litigation and can't or won't answer a simple question with a simple answer.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Loveland , Colorado
Thank you again to everyone that took the time to reply to my post. This Forum is very helpful to e newbie like me. I've decided to have a front receiver hitch installed next week on my 2017 Honda Ridgeline TV. Then I'll probably buy a 2 bike Kuat rack that can handle my wife's 49 pound E bike and my 35 lb townie bike. My mountain bike and road bike go on top of my Leer topper shell. I'll probably get some sort of cover to protect the front bikes from bugs. I'll post some pictures when I get this all sorted out. Thanks again. John
Dr. John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Trying to get a straight answer from a manufacturer anymore is like pulling teeth. Typically they won't give you their honest opinion in case of true stupidity on the users end, most everyone is afraid of litigation and can't or won't answer a simple question with a simple answer.
You can blame it on the lawyers and might be partially correct. Google RV approved bike racks. Several come up. I guess those manufacturers are more confident in their attorneys.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
Thank you again to everyone that took the time to reply to my post. This Forum is very helpful to e newbie like me. I've decided to have a front receiver hitch installed next week on my 2017 Honda Ridgeline TV. Then I'll probably buy a 2 bike Kuat rack that can handle my wife's 49 pound E bike and my 35 lb townie bike. My mountain bike and road bike go on top of my Leer topper shell. I'll probably get some sort of cover to protect the front bikes from bugs. I'll post some pictures when I get this all sorted out. Thanks again. John
You might want to check with Honda to see how adding 125 pounds plus of receiver, carrier and bikes plus to the front of your Ridgeline will affect handling and cooling, its it safe?
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
With mine, I am planning to add 2 short outriggers to my cover and then put bike carriers on each side. I have to outboard of the headache rack angled plate so I can still put the kayaks up there.

That is one of my next projects after my hitch modifications.

The cover is really tough and will support the bike outriggers. This will make loading the bikes easy as they will sit at the bed cover height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3181.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	376636  

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Tallahassee , FLORIDA
I put mine inside

Quote:
I own a 2012 Bambi 16' Sport that has no rear bumper. Is it possible/advisable to mount a receiver hitch so that I can attach a bicycle rack to the rear of my Airstream? I'd be carrying a max of two bicycles that weighed 100 lbs. total. Thanks for any advice. John

I have the same dilemma, and just took a trip where I put a 63lb folding e-bike, a kids mtn bike, and a adult mtn bike bike inside. Put thick cardboard down on the floor and several towels covering certain points,and some bungee cords holding things together and it worked out just fine. I took the front wheels off two of the mtn bikes and this helped. The majority of the weight was low down over the axle. The other option I'm considering for the mountain bikes is roof racks for the SUV. I'm towing with a BMW X3. Hope this helps.
weismans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2018 16' Sport
1962 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
I have a front hitch on my Tundra for the bike rack, works great. I did cut the rack down so the bike (a tandem) sits right at the hood level, still have plenty of ground clearance and makes the view better. Make sure your rack sticks out far enough to clear the front bumper, my hitch receiver sits back some (by the tow rings) so you need 12-18 inches to get out in front of the bumper. You look like you have a big cattle pusher on the rig, but loading and unloading is easy and I cable/lock the bikes to the rig frame. Good luck, Rick
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
We have a rack mounted on the front of our 20'. Works fine. I will mention that we only take our old sturdy bicycles camping, they are good for sub 50 mile rides and strong enough for off road trails, importantly they have no real value (maybe $30 each) so we do not worry about them getting stolen. Maintained well, lubed and greased and new tubes every year but we do not worry about surface rust and scratches. Our good bikes would travel in the Airstream if we ever felt the need to take them camping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bike_01.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	588.1 KB
ID:	376639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike_02.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	376640  

Old 08-23-2020, 05:50 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:

I had a front rack on my Ram 2500. After buying the hitch, installing, getting the rack, and then modifying so it would sit lower, I found that it blocked my vision driving down the highway and decided not to use it. At night it was impossible to drive as the glare from the headlights off the bikes decreased my vision.

You may want to Do some measuring and simulating to make sure the outcome is what you want before investing the money in a hitch.

Good luck.
2008AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
I own a 2012 Bambi 16' Sport that has no rear bumper. Is it possible/advisable to mount a receiver hitch so that I can attach a bicycle rack to the rear of my Airstream? I'd be carrying a max of two bicycles that weighed 100 lbs. total. Thanks for any advice. John
It is certainly possible, but equally inadvisable. Adding weight to the extreme rear of a trailer towed via an overhung will decrease its stability. It may cause that trailer to sway.

The technical explanation is that it increaes the so-called Moment Arm.

Instead, carry them on a rack at the front of trailer, or in/on the towing vehicle.

Collyn
Old 08-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Powell Butte , Oregon
Photos and rack info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aard View Post
I’m an Airstream newbee about to take possession of what looks like a beautiful 3029 16R. The vehicle has a Stagman bicycle rack mounted in the receiver hitch that is rated to hold two ebikes st 70 each. I can provide closeup photos if anyone wants them - we will get Ms. Bambi in a few days and could post thereafter. Neither the previous owners nor we ever intended to use our ebikes (we have both) - adds about 50-60 lbs more to the tongue weight over regular bikes. Any things about traveling with ebike see should care sbout....beyond security I mean?
Hi, do you have photos and info on the ebike rack, how it s configured and mounted? Thanks!
Jim9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:04 AM   #73

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tyler , Texas
I put a receiver hitch on the back of my 25’ Airstream. I found out that the interaction of the trailer going over the road caused the bicycles to bounce up and down and caused minor skin damage to the trailer. I believe the bikes must be tied at two points to the trailer to prevent this bouncing. Put your bikes on the rack and have someone drive the trailer while you drive behind it and you will see what I mean. That arrangement cost me one bike, a unused receiver hitch, damage to my trailer plus time and money. Go buy a proven solution to haul bikes on the back of a Airstream.
boldfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:55 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Loveland , Colorado
Thanks. I added a receiver hitch to the front of my TV and it works great. John
Old 08-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #75
1 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Loveland , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim9640 View Post
Hi, do you have photos and info on the ebike rack, how it s configured and mounted? Thanks!
I gave up on the idea of a rear mounted bicycle rack on my 16' AS and had a hitch receiver installed on the front of my TV (2017 Honda Ridgeline AWD) and it works great. I just don't drive at night.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #76
1 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Loveland , Colorado
Quote:
I gave up on the idea of a rear mounted bicycle rack on my 16' AS and had a hitch receiver installed on the front of my TV (2017 Honda Ridgeline AWD) and it works great. I just don't drive at night.
Send me your email address and Ill send you some photos. John
Old 08-09-2021, 07:04 AM   #77
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfly View Post
I put a receiver hitch on the back of my 25’ Airstream. I found out that the interaction of the trailer going over the road caused the bicycles to bounce up and down and caused minor skin damage to the trailer. I believe the bikes must be tied at two points to the trailer to prevent this bouncing. Put your bikes on the rack and have someone drive the trailer while you drive behind it and you will see what I mean. That arrangement cost me one bike, a unused receiver hitch, damage to my trailer plus time and money. Go buy a proven solution to haul bikes on the back of a Airstream.
Interesting! This is the first case I’ve heard about. Could you share details, and possibly pictures of the skin damage? I have the rear camera on (occasionally) and can see the bouncing. My biggest fear was the handle bar of the closest bike going through the back window. I watch especially when we hit big humps/bumps on the highway. We survived going through Petrified Forest National site this winter. Horrendous roads, and I was hurrying. I’d like to know where to look for skin damage. I already watch the front storage compartment edges, looking for frame separation in the front.
Thanks!

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:53 AM   #78
1 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Loveland , Colorado
Send me your email address and I’ll send you some photos. John
Old 08-10-2021, 06:09 AM   #79
1 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Loveland , Colorado
Photos of my front mount bike rack

Hopefully this reply has photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A12D35C9-AC6C-46B9-8B10-508339CF445C.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	401521   Click image for larger version

Name:	6DB415AE-1046-4D65-B343-C51C8515244C.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	401523  

Name:	87C35EC7-744F-412D-A744-0B48A0640C4C.jpg