Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
If you're not already committed to using the truck cap, you have a few more options to think about. I use a Thule rack for our bikes/kayak that leaves the bed open for all our "stuff" underneath. I can post a picture if you're interested.

Before deciding on the Thule rack setup, I also considered getting a "Diamondback" truck bed cover that would have allowed for storage in the bed while I could have mounted the bikes on top of the bed cover. The Diamondback cover is flat though so you would have less storage under it than you would with a full bed cap, however.

I guess my point is that there are other options available if you're uncertain about the front mounted bike rack.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Here are the pics of how I solved the "bike" problem ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3677.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	71714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3681.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	71715  

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Steve,

Thanks to you and all the others for valuable input. While as sort of expected, I have had answers both for and against, there seem more against that for the bikes on the rear and IO'm usually swayed by the preponderance of opinion!

I'm still not really convinced it will cause damage as it feels so solid, but I think I'll be ordering a front hitch receiver to mount on our new TV.

Also gives the advantage that if anything should happen and a bike come loose (although we always use cables & locks as well as bungees) it will be me who has the misfortune of running over them and not some other poor soul! And rightly so!

I really don't like the idea of putting the dirty old mtn bikes inside our nice new-to us AS! I'm sure I'd wind up scratching and damaging things, and also we like to use the inside of the trailer for meals/washrooms when travelling. No doubt carrying them inside works fine for others. Many years ago, we did carry a small Honda Passport scooter that way in a 20' Sprite
travel trailer. I had a little ramp to run it up inside.

Brian
To more directly answer your question, Airstream will void your entire warranty, even if it's a 2009 trailer, if you mount "ANYTHING" on the rear end.

A 50 pound bike doesn't seem like much. But since your an engineer, I am sure you understand what "moment arm" is.

As an example, if the distance from your rear axle to the center of your added weightis 10 feet, then the innocent 50 pounds becomes 500 pounds.

When you hit a bump, that weight will multiply by several times. Lets say only 4 times. Now the 50 pound bike and rack, become 2000 (two thousand) pounds. 50 X 10 X 4 =2000.

I assure you, and Airstream will guarantee you, that the trailer wasn't designed to handle that.

Another consideration, is the tongue weight is also changed when that weight is added, and especially when bumps are encountered.

When the tounge weight is even momentarily significantly reduced, along with the usual over hitching and unnecessary extra heavy duty tow vehicles, you could lose control of your rig.

Put the bikes in the trailer, on top of your tow vehicle, or in the bed of a truck, or leave them home, but DON'T put them on the rear of the trailer.

I know, some do and get away with it. Some people also put a gun to their head and pull the trigger, just to see if they out smarted the gun.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Andy,

Well, inasmuch as I have very limited knowledge of Airstreams at this point, as I have said, I will follow what seems the predominant advice and not use the hitch that came with my trailer - and here i thought I was getting a windfall when i saw the hitch on the back!

I will put a hitch receiver on the front of our new truck as I had on my last truck and carry the bikes up front - it worked ok on our last truck/trailer.

As a matter of fact, if I am not intending to use the hitch on the trailer, I will try to bring the trailer to the house before our winter trip and cut off the hitch receiver. It must be a pretty substantial weight itself and also limits ground clearance, so I might as well.

I'd better use an angle grinder - with my luck if I use my torches, the whole thing will go up!

Now .... can you tell me if there is anything I should look for to see if the previous owner has caused any damage by using this hitch, or would I need to be removing sheet metal under the trailer to really see. The trailer is not near my house at present, but I plan to take a look next time we bring it home.

Thanks ............ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Andy,

Well, inasmuch as I have very limited knowledge of Airstreams at this point, as I have said, I will follow what seems the predominant advice and not use the hitch that came with my trailer - and here i thought I was getting a windfall when i saw the hitch on the back!

I will put a hitch receiver on the front of our new truck as I had on my last truck and carry the bikes up front - it worked ok on our last truck/trailer.

As a matter of fact, if I am not intending to use the hitch on the trailer, I will try to bring the trailer to the house before our winter trip and cut off the hitch receiver. It must be a pretty substantial weight itself and also limits ground clearance, so I might as well.

I'd better use an angle grinder - with my luck if I use my torches, the whole thing will go up!

Now .... can you tell me if there is anything I should look for to see if the previous owner has caused any damage by using this hitch, or would I need to be removing sheet metal under the trailer to really see. The trailer is not near my house at present, but I plan to take a look next time we bring it home.

Thanks ............ Brian.
Brian.

Stand on the bumper, and bounce up and down, or have someone else do it.

Then look for "ANY" movement between the frame as it enters the rear of the trailer, and the molding.

If there movement, then you have what is called rear end separation, to some degree. Have a beer.

If there is no movement, ask the wife to dress up, and take her out to a nice dinner and celebrate.

Celebrate what you ask???

No rear end separation, on the Airstream, that is.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Now that you seem to have made a decision allow me to add to the confusion.

There is probably a bead of Vulkem caulking where the body of the trailer meets the bumper assembly, at least there is on older models. Look for a crack running across the Vulkem which suggests difference in movement between the bumper and body.

For what ever it is worth, every case of rear end separation I have heard of has been on vintage units primarily 70s. I have never heard of a newer unit with that problem. I am not saying there are none out there, but I have not heard of any. Do a search for rear end separation or sag and you can check for yourself.

Yeah you will get a couple more inches clearance on the rear end if you cut off the hitch. But it also works like a skid plate preventing damage to the bumper rear end area if you drag the butt end of the trailer, and a lot easier to get unstuck
Old 11-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Now that you seem to have made a decision allow me to add to the confusion.

There is probably a bead of Vulkem caulking where the body of the trailer meets the bumper assembly, at least there is on older models. Look for a crack running across the Vulkem which suggests difference in movement between the bumper and body.

For what ever it is worth, every case of rear end separation I have heard of has been on vintage units primarily 70s. I have never heard of a newer unit with that problem. I am not saying there are none out there, but I have not heard of any. Do a search for rear end separation or sag and you can check for yourself.

Yeah you will get a couple more inches clearance on the rear end if you cut off the hitch. But it also works like a skid plate preventing damage to the bumper rear end area if you drag the butt end of the trailer, and a lot easier to get unstuck

Damn - you guys don't make things easy for me!

So many good comments/opinions on both sides of the fence, decisions, decisions!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote